Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwback Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Csalem

This week we are going back thirty-five years to Maynooth in County Kildare. KD 291 is seen Maynooth at the terminus of route 66. This 66 has a long history with the DUTC taking over the route from private operators in 1934. It then passed to CIE in 1945 and Dublin Bus in 1987. From 1951 until 2010, a number of departures extended further into Kildare to Kilcock, but that town is now primarily served by Bus Eireann. The 66 terminus in Maynooth was extended further south along Straffan Road in 1996, where it still currently terminates. The route runs to Dublin city centre via Leixlip, Lucan and Chapelizod. The 67 also connects the two placed but goes via Celbridge instead of Leixlip. Over the years the 66 has spawned the 66A, 66B, 66D, 66E and 66X.
    Maynooth is one of the few locations on the Dublin Bus network that is also served by Irish Rail and Bus Eireann (although it is not possible to travel into or out of Dublin on Bus Eireann). It is also served by TFI route 139 between Blanchardstown and Naas.
    KD 291 was delivered new to Dublin in 1982. It was withdrawn between 1996 and 2000. 24/09/1985

50378877358_6dc9f3dc3c_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (246) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

@Csalem, BÉ route 115 travels to the CC (and Belfield) via Maynooth.

I just started in NUIM and despite driving the last few weeks, I have to take a bus tomorrow, and the prospect of a 66 from Islandbridge is killing me. So the 115 from Heuston is likely to be my choice in the morning, don't tell me Heuston is set-down only?

@Csalem, BÉ route 115 travels to the CC (and Belfield) via Maynooth.

I just started in NUIM and despite driving the last few weeks, I have to take a bus tomorrow, and the prospect of a 66 from Islandbridge is killing me. So the 115 from Heuston is likely to be my choice in the morning, don't tell me Heuston is set-down only?

The stops at Maynooth University should be ok for the 115. It is the stops that serve the town near the station that are pick up only from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

According to the timetable on the bus eireann site, Heston is pickup only, along with the 67a terminus stop in maynooth. The stop outside the University is not pick up only however, so you can get off there.

Csalem wrote: »
    The stops at Maynooth University should be ok for the 115. It is the stops that serve the town near the station that are pick up only from Dublin.

Sorry, I was getting at the fact that you said that Bus éireann doesn't serve Maynooth anymore. They stop at the university and the Glen Royal. Surely that is serving Maynooth.
    p_haugh wrote: »
    According to the timetable on the bus eireann site, Heston is pickup only, along with the 67a terminus stop in maynooth. The stop outside the University is not pick up only however, so you can get off there.

The two stops at the University on the Kilcock Road are both pick-up/set-down.

The westbound stop on the John's Road/Heuston is pick-up only. That being said, who would have gotten a 115 to Heuston from any of its city-side termini as a journey? Be odd given the options and its lack of frequency (in the grand scheme).

---

As an aside, I got the 115 from the university to Heuston yesterday and it was pretty great, given how long the 66 and 67 take. Especially seeing as the fare for a student is just 2.24. :)

I got the 66 from Islandbridge at 8.28 and the 8.41 ex-Heuston 115 only passed me on the Leixlip slip road. Again, good to know when you're trying to work out the best way to get in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

This week we are going back thirty-five years to Maynooth in County Kildare. KD 291 is seen Maynooth at the terminus of route 66. This 66 has a long history with the DUTC taking over the route from private operators in 1934. It then passed to CIE in 1945 and Dublin Bus in 1987. From 1951 until 2010, a number of departures extended further into Kildare to Kilcock, but that town is now primarily served by Bus Eireann. The 66 terminus in Maynooth was extended further south along Straffan Road in 1996, where it still currently terminates. The route runs to Dublin city centre via Leixlip, Lucan and Chapelizod. The 67 also connects the two placed but goes via Celbridge instead of Leixlip. Over the years the 66 has spawned the 66A, 66B, 66D, 66E and 66X.
    Maynooth is one of the few locations on the Dublin Bus network that is also served by Irish Rail and Bus Eireann (although it is not possible to travel into or out of Dublin on Bus Eireann). It is also served by TFI route 139 between Blanchardstown and Naas.
    KD 291 was delivered new to Dublin in 1982. It was withdrawn between 1996 and 2000. 24/09/1985

50378877358_6dc9f3dc3c_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (246) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Was looking forward to the day you'd cover the 66. The bus I'd take for many years along with the other variants of the 66. Surprised how far back the history of the route goes, many thanks for that!

Also, I was meant to ask, where exactly is that picture taken?

Courthouse Square, just before Straffan Road meets Main Street The single-storey shop was replaced by two-storey houses and shops but the building in background is still there:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3810512,-6.590471,3a,80.4y,172.28h,84.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWRL0iZFXH18VAwZX3Ucw3g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Thought it might be there. Was looking for the background buildings but didn't cop it

Current 67 terminus is built on formation of old Straffan Road. Around 1995 the current road was built on a slight curve to the east, but you can still see the old alignment on maps. The bridge over the canal on the top of station approach, beside the current road bridge, is also the old road bridge. In June 1996 the 67A moved to its current terminus. I believe the 66 also moved to its current terminus then, although some of the departures on the 66 were already using it from around 1988.
    Although the 67A terminus opened in 1996, the 1997/1998 timetable is the first time I have found Bus Eireann refer to the 67A terminus on their 23 timetable. Until then their Maynooth stop was called 'Brady's' which I assume is the old 66/67A terminus at the square, beside Brady's pub. To this day Bus Eireann still call it the 67A terminus even though we said goodbye to the 67A in 2010.

• Advertisement

For this week we are going back to 2008 and a route that had a short life with Dublin Bus. Route 74 commenced in May 2007 and ran from Stocking Avenue to City Centre via Templeogue and Rathmines. Initially the City Centre terminus was Eden Quay but within a few months it moved to Macken Street down in Dublin's docks. In 2009 it moved again to Britain Quay. The route lasted until December 2011 when it was replaced by the 15B under the Network Direct changes.
    This 74 was not the first route 74 to operate in Dublin. The previous one to this was introduced with the opening of The Square Shopping Centre in Tallaght. That route connected the centre with Lucan and was not very successful, lasting less than a year.
    AV 317 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2003 and withdrawn around 2017 when it was sold to a private operator in Galway.
    Finally Suffolk Street was once one of the more busier streets in Dublin for buses but when Luas Cross-City works arrived in the area in January 2015, buses were diverted away and now it is pedestrianised. 01/10/2008

50405229112_89f6f0c417_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (247) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Sometimes it's hard to believe just how busy Suffolk St was. Madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sometimes it's hard to believe just how busy Suffolk St was. Madness really.

Not only that, the turn towards dame st.... That was shocking and right outside the pub, they'd fall out and be bouncing off the bus as turning.

That too.

It really is wild.

Sure. Remember the turn from Abbey St onto Capel Street and the interminable journey down that to the river.

Although it added to journey times, I did like the extra interchange connections provided by sending buses past Pearse Station.

The former routing that frustrated me the most was going from Leeson Street to Dawson Street before the Luas came, especially before the traffic island was put in for the buses outside the University Church on Stephen's Green. Was painful getting the 10 back into town from UCD in the evenings.

This week we are going back seven years to a city terminus that had a relatively short life. GT 101 is seen at the 15A terminus in Dublin's docklands. The destination and the timetable called it Grand Canal Dock. On the destination in brackets, it clarifies the location as Benson Street. However this is not quite accurate. The location is actually Britain Quay. The 15A and the 15B started coming down here in December 2011 following the Network Direct changes. Prior to that it was the terminus of the 74 and 74A from January 2009. Benson Street was meant to be the terminus for the 15A/B, and bus bays were marked out on the road there. However, the last twenty years has seen the docklands area as one large, continuous building site as old dockyard buildings are replaced by modern, multi-storey offices. Benson Street was the location for one of these construction sites for an extended period, thus not making it practical for the buses to go down that far. In fact, the area around Britain Quay became a building site in 2016 and the 15A and 15B moved to a temporary terminus on the Ringsend Road in November 2016. A terminus that was so temporary that both routes still operate from there today. Now no bus route serves this part of Dublin's south quays.
    Route 15A started in 1949, running between the city centre and Whitehall Road. It was later extended to Limekiln Farm in the 1970s and still runs there today.
    GT 101 was one of eight Wright Geminis delivered new to Dublin Bus in the second half of 2013. It is still in operation with Dublin Bus today. 05/10/2013

50437948492_f196e1b8a8_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (248) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

This week we are going back seven years to a city terminus that had a relatively short life. GT 101 is seen at the 15A terminus in Dublin's docklands. The destination and the timetable called it Grand Canal Dock. On the destination in brackets, it clarifies the location as Benson Street. However this is not quite accurate. The location is actually Britain Quay. The 15A and the 15B started coming down here in December 2011 following the Network Direct changes. Prior to that it was the terminus of the 74 and 74A from January 2009. Benson Street was meant to be the terminus for the 15A/B, and bus bays were marked out on the road there. However, the last twenty years has seen the docklands area as one large, continuous building site as old dockyard buildings are replaced by modern, multi-storey offices. Benson Street was the location for one of these construction sites for an extended period, thus not making it practical for the buses to go down that far. In fact, the area around Britain Quay became a building site in 2016 and the 15A and 15B moved to a temporary terminus on the Ringsend Road in November 2016. A terminus that was so temporary that both routes still operate from there today. Now no bus route serves this part of Dublin's south quays.
    Route 15A started in 1949, running between the city centre and Whitehall Road. It was later extended to Limekiln Farm in the 1970s and still runs there today.
    GT 101 was one of eight Wright Geminis delivered new to Dublin Bus in the second half of 2013. It is still in operation with Dublin Bus today. 05/10/2013

50437948492_f196e1b8a8_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (248) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

I recall buses terminating in Benson street, it is difficult to believe they would go on Britain quay, rather dangerous in fact.

This week we are going back 36 years to D 394 in 1984. The bus is seen on route 7 at the terminus on Eden Quay. The original 7 was part of the tram network in Dublin, with the first bus route 7 starting in 1949. It only lasted until 1951 and was peak-hour only services between Dun Laoghaire and the city centre. The main route on the corridor at that time was the 8 to Dalkey. A 7A started in 1950 between Sallynoggin and the city centre, but the 7 itself did not return to the network until 1980. From then to 1988 its southern terminus was Ballybrack (Wyatville Road), but it was then extended to Loughlinstown Park. Today the 7 runs to Cherrywood and the 7A to Loughlinstown Park.
    D 394 was delivered new to Dublin in December 1970. In 1987 it transferred to Irish Rail where it became the staff bus in Inchicore. It was sold for scrap in 1990 and went to the scrapyard in the CIE tan-livery as seen here. 15/10/1984

50490180317_be9dc13718_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (249) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

I remember travelling out to Vincent hospital to visit my grandmother on this route. funny what a picture can bring back.

Did these have the clockwise spiral stairs right behind the driver, unlike the buses today.

LastStop wrote: »
    I remember travelling out to Vincent hospital to visit my grandmother on this route. funny what a picture can bring back.

Did these have the clockwise spiral stairs right behind the driver, unlike the buses today.

I am afraid I don't remember travelling on those buses but the stairs were probably not as straight as the ones on buses today.

• Advertisement

For our 250th Throwback Thursday we are going back 11 years to AV 210 on Fleet Street with a service on route 50. The original route 50 was introduced by the DUTC (Dublin United Tramway Company) in 1925 and operated between the city centre and Crumlin. In 1945 the route passed to the Dublin City Services of CIE, and then to Dublin Bus in 1987. From 1962 until 1994 it's terminus was near the junction of Whitehall Road / Whitehall Road West. 1994 saw it undergo a bit of a substantial change when the route effectively became City Imp route 150 to Rossmore. At the same time a new route 50 was created that ran from the city centre to Killinarden in Tallaght. In 1998 the route was extended again to the new development at Citywest. In 2006 the city centre terminus was moved to Ringsend Garage. The end of the 50 came in 2011 during the Network Direct review of bus services. With these changes, Mayberry Road in Kilnamanagh lost its bus service after having one for thirty years.
    Route 50 made history in 1937 when the first double-decker bus went into service on the route, R1 of the DUTC. Fellow double-decker AV 210 entered service with Dublin Bus in 2001. It was withdrawn in 2015 and moved to Swanbrook's in the UK.
    The building in the background is the old Irish Times building being renovated for new use after the newspaper moved to new offices on Tara Street in 2006. 22/10/2009

50516942981_7b56b2d1e7_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (250) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back ten years to the last day of a relatively short-lived bus route. AV 177 is seen at the bus terminus within UCD Belfield with a service on route 70B from New Ongar Road.
    The 70B started operating in December 2006 and was one of the few Xpresso routes not to use the X suffix (The 70X had started in 2001 from Dunboyne to UCD Belfield). The route ran from New Ongar Road through Ongar and Littlepace before joining the N3 for its run to the city. It started with one inbound trip in the morning and one outbound trip in the evening. The route lasted less than four years. It's official last day was 30th October 2010 when the Network Direct changes reached the Blanchardstown corridor on the 31st October. However, as this was a weekday-only bus route, and the 30th October was a Saturday, its actual last day was Friday 29th October. And AV 177 did the final inbound morning trip, as seen here.
    AV 177 itself was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2000 and withdrawn in 2016. It was sold to the UK where it became a school bus in the Corby area.
    The terminus at UCD Belfield has seen many bus routes over the years and used by thousands of people who worked and studied there. In 2012 the bus stops were relocated within the campus and this area was transformed into a lake. 29/10/2010

50544084038_667bbf8f7b_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (251) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

If memory serves me correctly there were 2 types of this D series Leyland Atlantean bus.
    There was a model with a single door and a model with double doors like that pictured.

So, again if my grey matter is correct, the stairs in the single door model was closer to the driver than the one with the double doors.

kub wrote: »
    If memory serves me correctly there were 2 types of this D series Leyland Atlantean bus.
    There was a model with a single door and a model with double doors like that pictured.

So, again if my grey matter is correct, the stairs in the single door model was closer to the driver than the one with the double doors.

On break today and this was parked up on Parnell square with a movie crew. The Double door bus has a seat behind the driver separating the cab and stairs..bigger gap than the recent RH,RV models.

kub wrote: »

On break today and this was parked up on Parnell square with a movie crew. The Double door bus has a seat behind the driver separating the cab and stairs..bigger gap than the recent RH,RV models.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Saw it today myself and just had to take a photo. I remember this type when I got the bus to primary school way, way back in 1976. The one in the pic is a 1972 registration.

Bus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

There's something about the D class I just love they really are a beautiful machine. I only remember traveling on one once from the City Centre to Blessington in the early 90's it was all KDs and RV/RAs then.

Anyone know what the distinction between the D and DF series is? Engine/transmision differences? I used to think it was the front and shape of the top windows but they seem to be mixed with D/DF designations.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

tnegun wrote: »
    There's something about the D class I just love they really are a beautiful machine. I only remember traveling on one once from the City Centre to Blessington in the early 90's it was all KDs and RV/RAs then.

Anyone know what the distinction between the D and DF series is? Engine/transmision differences? I used to think it was the front and shape of the top windows but they seem to be mixed with D/DF designations.
    Ds were all originally Leyland-engined afair, later re-engined with DAF units and renamed DFs.

I always thought if you took the front half of the Borismaster in London and the back half of an SG, you would have good modernised version of the D design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The D's were full of charm. The sound, the noises inside, everything creaking and banging, the smell, the walking when they broke down. I loved them. The routes I travelled on were DF's up until the mid 90s when.

Advertisement