Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’d say you could have a lot of Luas drivers applying for these. Better canteen facilities.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It sounds like female candidates might get priority consideration as IR are also looking to address the gender imbalance of only 4 current train drivers being female.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0102/1019897-train-drivers/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Nope, anyone internal can apply as well and there will be a shortage due to retirements etc.

I never said they couldn't, but, there will no longer be a separate internal process apparently, also there is a long standing legacy agreement which pre dates CIE that they would not be advertised externally without union agreement, this was confirmed in the WRC as recent as last year by IE management when they indicated a wish to go external.

I remember you previously saying "nobody will give a fiddlers" if this happens, well, the union correspondence has already started, and they are not happy to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone taken the tests yet? How they find them..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There simply isn't enough people internally who

1. Want the job
    2. Who are capable of passing the medical and the battery of tests (good old group bourdon test)
    3. Will get past the interview

- who has already tried and has failed to get through the process

The DART has been an external hire operation for a decade. Union really hasn't a leg to stand on here, it cannot make a cost increasing claim and the number of drivers needed goes way beyond what could be sourced internally. The arrival of the EU train drivers license also opens the door to hire people from the EU with experience who are already certified to meet the medical and other competencies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ongarboy wrote: »
    It sounds like female candidates might get priority consideration as IR are also looking to address the gender imbalance of only 4 current train drivers being female.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0102/1019897-train-drivers/

Not right people should be given the job based on their competency not gender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

How many electrified lines do they have?? I couldn't find the info on line or on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

GM228 wrote: »
    I never said they couldn't, but, there will no longer be a separate internal process apparently, also there is a long standing legacy agreement which pre dates CIE that they would not be advertised externally without union agreement, this was confirmed in the WRC as recent as last year by IE management when they indicated a wish to go external.

I remember you previously saying "nobody will give a fiddlers" if this happens, well, the union correspondence has already started, and they are not happy to say the least.

If they moan about this then they are dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

GM228 wrote: »

I know anything is possible with that lot but surely they haven't a leg to stand on if the positions were offered internally and the applicants were unsuccessful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I suspect there will be a huge volume of applications from highly skilled professionals from the private sector.

Less stress and a decent enough salary for a cushy number. It's a no brainer for many.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

khaldrogo wrote: »
    How many electrified lines do they have?? I couldn't find the info on line or on their site.

One with a small branch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I suspect there will be a huge volume of applications from highly skilled professionals from the private sector.

Less stress and a decent enough salary for a cushy number. It's a no brainer for many.

And from the public sector I’m in a skilled job in the public sector and they make more than me I’m seriously considering applying anyway then deciding if I get that far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The DART has been an external hire operation for a decade.

Its only been advertised really internally through the 3 companies and of course they took some people as well from the Dash project. Realistically this is the first outright hiring off the street.

I'm not sure why the union is objecting we know staff pools have been exhaused internally hence the hiring externally. Just be warned its not exactly an easy job that some think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Stephen15 wrote: »

Welcome to the 2019 progressive Ireland.....

I suspect there will be a huge volume of applications from highly skilled professionals from the private sector. ..............

I don't know many highly skilled professionals who want to work weekends etc driving a train for €45k tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The DART has been an external hire operation for a decade.

It has not, only in recent years has driving (DART and diesel) t been opened to other CIE companies.

Union really hasn't a leg to stand on here, it cannot make a cost increasing claim and the number of drivers needed goes way beyond what could be sourced internally

What cost increasing claim?

The arrival of the EU train drivers license also opens the door to hire people from the EU with experience who are already certified to meet the medical and other competencies.

The EU driver licence only satisfies minimum standards, you must still satisfy the standards applicable to the organisation you apply to.

Don't know about the cushy number and the less stress bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

How so ?

Stephen15 wrote: »

Agree but they won't compromise the ability to do the job in favour of gender quota.

dashoonage wrote: »
    How so ?

It's not a stress free job especially when someone decides to jump in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It can be fairly stressful when your union fails to negotiate enough 'handy' as required turns on your roster. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 verfold

How does the driver depot structure in Dublin work, ie where are the drivers based and is routes and traction linked or does everyone at a particular depot drive all traction and routes?
    Who drives the enterprise, Dublin men or is it run by NIR? Thanks if anyone could help. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

verfold wrote: »
    How does the driver depot structure in Dublin work, ie where are the drivers based and is routes and traction linked or does everyone at a particular depot drive all traction and routes?
    Who drives the enterprise, Dublin men or is it run by NIR? Thanks if anyone could help. ...

Heuston, Connolly, Fairview, you drive what operates from the depot.

Enterprise is operated both companies. Think a lot of Dundalk drivers run it but assume Connolly ones do as well. You are required to drive routes operated out of that depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe they think it's a cushy number if their only knowledge of loco driving is watching Thomas the Tank Engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

L1011 wrote:
    One with a small branch

Got that wrong so!

I said 2. I thought they might distinguish between the passenger and freight services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TallGlass wrote: »
    Anyone taken the tests yet? How they find them..

Interesting test, can't see why anyone internally wouldn't pass it as they'd be at more an advantage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Got that wrong so!

I said 2. I thought they might distinguish between the passenger and freight services

There are distinctions in driver pools between electric, diesel multiple unit and locomotive (cork, Belfast, freight) I believe

L1011 wrote: »
    There are distinctions in driver pools between electric, diesel multiple unit and locomotive (cork, Belfast, freight) I believe

Could be taking you up wrong but loco drivers drive DMUs as do Freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 verfold

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Could be taking you up wrong but loco drivers drive DMUs as do Freight.

So are these jobs for locomotive drivers or dmu drivers? Surely they wouldn't be taking on trainee locomotiveslike drivers??
    Out of interest how far do HEuston drivers get? As far as Cork?

• Advertisement

verfold wrote: »
    So are these jobs for locomotive drivers or dmu drivers? Surely they wouldn't be taking on trainee locomotiveslike drivers??
    Out of interest how far do HEuston drivers get? As far as Cork?

Both, but probably DMU to start with.

Heuston drivers (and Portlaoise) do Cork, Waterford, Westport, Galway and PPT. Open to correction but don't do Kerry/Ballina/Limerick branches. Probally cleared to Limerick but not sure about others.

Many Heuston services are operated by drivers based around the country.

Advertisement