Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Station closes after landslide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This post has been deleted.

Only Ballina-Waterford is cleared for liners, no other lines are allowed to take them without clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

This post has been deleted.

The Rosslare line and the South Wexford line both are not cleared for the 9'6" high cube containers or the CPW's so that idea was always a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Only Ballina-Waterford is cleared for liners, no other lines are allowed to take them without clearance.

Snap:D

With a lot of damage done to the signals one wonders will IE finally go CTC instead od repairing the current clapped out systems. It was only a few months ago IE took steps to stop floods messing up the systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Anybody from Waterford or is familiar with Plunkett station knows this was just a freak accident. Unfortunately its not until incidents like this that the weaknesses in the cliff face or rock surface can be dealt with!
    yep, some posters here have never been in Plunkett station, freak accident indeed, the important thing is to learn from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I've been there many times. It was obvious that the rockface there hadn't been looked at or maintained in an age.

Its not a freak accident, its an occurrence that could have been avoided if IE bothered doing routine maintenance and safety surveys.

I've been there many times. It was obvious that the rockface there hadn't been looked at or maintained in an age.

Its not a freak accident, its an occurrence that could have been avoided if IE bothered doing routine maintenance and safety surveys.

If it has never happened before why would you mess with something that is not broken. If the council felt the need to fix the road side why not fix the railway side. If safety was top they would of completed all the works.

Not exactly the same but all the damage on the west cost was "preventable" if action was taken....the only reason people have issue with this is because it happened with IE, if it was on a side of a road nobody would say a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Rosslare line and the South Wexford line both are not cleared for the 9'6" high cube containers or the CPW's so that idea was always a non runner.

Suitable engine availability is another issue. 201 Class loco's are not allowed south of Arklow bar for an emergency. There are not passed for the South Wexford line and they are certainly not passed out for the Barrow bridge.

In any case, I would wager that either station at Rosslare hasn't a long enough passing loop for a runaround manoeuvre to take place.

Suitable engine availability is another issue. 201 Class loco's are not allowed south of Arklow bar for an emergency. There are not passed for the South Wexford line and they are certainly not passed out for the Barrow bridge.

In any case, I would wager that either station at Rosslare hasn't a long enough passing loop for a runaround manoeuvre to take place.

South Wexford line could never handle the payload of the DFDS service, they could always find an 071 as 201's very rarely operate to Waterford. One return trip in the last 4 or 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Everybody on the entire planet now knows why RMS Titanic sank, but before the disaster all the experts thought it was unsinkable, get where I'm going.

My last reply in this thread, I'm starting a campaign ''bring back Judgement day'':D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

In the same way the Malahide bridge collapse was due to negligence and lack of maintenance.

That had never happened before - doesn't mean it was ok that a train full of people nearly fell into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Some of the replies here are off the wall! The cutting never collapsed onto the roadway but was reinforced all the same. It appears the ah sure it will be grand approach was applied at the train station and the inevitable happened. I've never been knocked down crossing the road does that mean I shouldn't look both ways?

The comparison to the west would be acceptable if roads, piers, promenades etc. hadn't been closed but they were as the damage/danger was anticipated. The problem I have is that IE should of known the rock face was vulnerable we had heavy rain and poor weather conditions leading up to the collapse and I've no doubt that they were factors but IE seem to be blind to the danger given the difference in its appearance along the roadside and track bed.

If when the RAIU report is published it's found that everything in relation to risk assessment and mitigation was up to an acceptable standard and recent inspections where performed properly and found no reason for concern then fair enough but for now I'm skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If it has never happened before why would you mess with something that is not broken.
    The Malahide viaduct never collapsed before it collapsed either!

Did IE call in any sort of expert on land formations, such as a geologist? Or did they drink tae while looking up and conclude "it hasn't collapsed yet ara shur it's grand!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If it has never happened before why would you mess with something that is not broken. If the council felt the need to fix the road side why not fix the railway side. If safety was top they would of completed all the works.

Not exactly the same but all the damage on the west cost was "preventable" if action was taken....the only reason people have issue with this is because it happened with IE, if it was on a side of a road nobody would say a word.

in fairness, the council took a lot of the rockface away when they widened the roadand I mean a lot, that was one very narrow road once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

In the same way the Malahide bridge collapse was due to negligence and lack of maintenance.

That had never happened before - doesn't mean it was ok that a train full of people nearly fell into the sea.

the Malahide bridge collapse was caused by the sea scouring out the foundations.Only easy to see with hindsight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

corktina wrote: »
    the Malahide bridge collapse was caused by the sea scouring out the foundations.Only easy to see with hindsight.....

Have you read the published report? It's here http://www.raiu.ie/download/pdf/accident_malahide.pdf Members of the public raised concerns re scouring under the bridge piers and ultimately IE inspection and knowledge where found very wanting it was plain to see for anyone who knew when and what they were looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    yep, some posters here have never been in Plunkett station, freak accident indeed, the important thing is to learn from it.
    Ah now come on HG, you never know where someone's home town might be. :D

Oh I better stay quiet or I'll be told off for posting nonsense.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Waterford is re-opening this afternoon.

Waterford is re-opening this afternoon.

Being delayed further flood water receding slower than expected. Expected to open lather today provided high tides don't stop that.

• Advertisement

Travelled into Plunkett today, 3 car 22000 1015 ex Heuston.

First to note was one of the mk3s has a big hole in it, odd to note though the cutting going on next to a working line. They appear to have all the seats stacked on the tables, maybe they are recyclable separately.

In the station they've done a lot of work on the cliff and not necessarily just where the big rockfall is, quoted as "€700k spent" so far. General concensus from those I spoke in the station was "they spent 25p on it in 25 years".

A source there passed on various tales of woe- big changes are afoot, the station as we know it is to move to Sallypark yard, (with bus shelters), while the administration stays in the existing station. The bay on the carpark side is to go, a stop block is to be put on the current main platform making it a dead end. The Rosslare line will be a long siding, all controlled eventually from CTC. Central cabin not expected to reopen.

Grave days....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

cbl593h wrote: »

First to note was one of the mk3s has a big hole in it, odd to note though the cutting going on next to a working line. They appear to have all the seats stacked on the tables, maybe they are recyclable separately.

In the station they've done a lot of work on the cliff and not necessarily just where the big rockfall is, quoted as "€700k spent" so far. General concensus from those I spoke in the station was "they spent 25p on it in 25 years".

A source there passed on various tales of woe- big changes are afoot, the station as we know it is to move to Sallypark yard, (with bus shelters), while the administration stays in the existing station. The bay on the carpark side is to go, a stop block is to be put on the current main platform making it a dead end. The Rosslare line will be a long siding, all controlled eventually from CTC. Central cabin not expected to reopen.

Grave days....

My sources say nothing has been decided yet and that more than likely the station will remain in its current location and the rock will be reinforced. IE got 2.5m last week to complete the work on the rock. It still has to be x-rayed to see exactly where there are weak points. Removing points and platforms was proposed by the S&E dept to lower reinstatement costs but this was rejected out of hand. Bottom line is nobody knows for sure yet what is happening. Could anybody seriously see passengers walking out to Sallypark on a wet and windy day. It would be the death of passenger traffic in waterford.

My sources say nothing has been decided yet and that more than likely the station will remain in its current location and the rock will be reinforced. IE got 2.5m last week to complete the work on the rock. It still has to be x-rayed to see exactly where there are weak points. Removing points and platforms was proposed by the S&E dept to lower reinstatement costs but this was rejected out of hand. Bottom line is nobody knows for sure yet what is happening. Could anybody seriously see passengers walking out to Sallypark on a wet and windy day. It would be the death of passenger traffic in waterford.

I can't agree nor disagree, our "sources" differ but we are never going to get an official statement from IE.....

One thing I will take out of your post though is- "Could anybody seriously see passengers walking out to Sallypark on a wet and windy day. It would be the death of passenger traffic in Waterford. "

Rosslare anybody ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Rosslare anybody ???
    i doubt the passengers of waterford are as stubbern as us wexford lot, we have had one of our railways ran into oblivian but irish rail will fail with the line to dublin as we will not go away, the people of waterford are worth more then a bunch of bus shelters, waterford station is a terminus station and should retain its current proper station and not some downgraded dump like rosslare eurodump has been inflicted with

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Grave days....

The scrapping is hardly near the working line, there is a good space between them.

CTC is a matter of time and should of happened 10 years ago when the line began being centrally controlled from Connolly.

Agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grave days....

What they should do is move the whole station across to the North Quays and build a covered passenger bridge across to the South Quays as Frank McDonald mentioned in the IT feature on Waterford this week its the obvious thing to do and has been for years.

mike65 wrote: »
    What they should do is move the whole station across to the North Quays and build a covered passenger bridge across to the South Quays as Frank McDonald mentioned in the IT feature on Waterford this week its the obvious thing to do and has been for years.

Don't know why people say move to the North when it's on the North already, I know what you mean though a good idea but moving it down there is pointless as flooding will still happen and close the place. Sallypark is the only place where it will be unaffected however a move out there will destroy passenger numbers. A temporary platform best way forward.

cbl593h wrote:

Grave days....

Unfortunately looks like this is true as work has commenced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

What kind of work?

• Advertisement

What kind of work?

Preparatory work , the main body of work commencing next Monday so my source tells me .

- 9 sets of points to be lifted
    - complete closure of platforms 3,4&6
    - all signalling between central and west cabins to be removed
    - 1 line between station and west cabin plain track only no points
    - 1 line between Waterford Yard and Belview no points or signals this section is to become a siding

Advertisement