Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just had an experience that definitely belongs in this thread. I'm... going to look into it a little more tomorrow in the cold light of day, but that was a bit of a thrill on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

A bazillion years ago, I remember there was one particular forested exercise area that was notorious for that. I'm tying to remember whichhallucinations but the guards were forever reporting "approaching figures" who never got any closer and then slipped out of sight.

Now, I never saw it myself, but I do remember hearing it back independently from various fresh sections who wouldn't have had a chance to pick up on it from the urban legend mill.

I'm a skeptic, but I do love a good yarn like that. :D

For a period of time I was on some very strong anti-fungal drugs when I was in hospital with an eye infection. I was hallucinating all night and the common theme was people, creatures and animals approaching me and disappearing just when they were about to touch me. This happened over and over so I wonder if it is a common theme of hallucinations.

I was quite naive about drugs in general so I was shocked how real the hallucinations seemed. There was a table beside me with a jug of water and glass (that part was real.) Towards the end of the night, I kept seeing this guy dressed in white (like a male nurse, but with no head) pick up the jug and pour some water and hand it to me. I kept telling myself it was an hallucination but it looked so real and he stayed there for ages until finally I decided I may as well reach for it. As soon as I touched it the glass fell on the floor and smashed and the guy disappeared. Then after a couple of minutes he reappeared and this happened over and over.

Thinking about it later it's clear that the minds ability to imterpet vision is impaired but as soon as physical contact is attempted and not realised, the brain instantly reacts and the hallucinating is stopped.

Your post reminded me of this - quite fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

A couple of years ago I was having my hair done, The young hairdresser was chatting away to me about her pregnancy and said she was planning to call her expected baby girl 'Poppy'. She left me for a moment to answer the phone beside the till and the strangest thing happened. I heard the name 'Poppy Rose' as if someone had said it in my head. When my hairdresser came back she continued what she was saying.........'yeah, we're calling her Poppy...and my auntie Rose died recently..so we're calling her Poppy' Rose. Swear to fck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

I used to have this scary dream recurring dozens of times when I was in my early teens.

Dream starts with a young evil thing, like a witch I suppose just appearing out of thin air near the kitchen door. She then moves thru the hall, attacks the first person she gets hold off, not clear how but somehow leaves them dead. We, my daf , brother and cousins tries fighting. She's too strong. Gets one of my cousins, and everyone tries to hide. She then disappeares but to reappear again by the kitchen door next day, and kills another family member. This goes on, and I end up watching every single one of my immediate family getting killed. However I noticed that every time this thing reappears, it has grown older, smaller and weaker. So the day when I was supposed to die, she's a wrinkly small old woman, and as she approach me over all the dead bodies on the floor, I attack her, chokes her to death. I can not believe I killed her, and the shock that all my family is now dead.. But right that moment the evil thing reappears at the kitchen door, as young as day 1, strong and ready to kill.... Shivers... I was literally haunted by this recurring dream for ages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Just had an experience that definitely belongs in this thread. I'm... going to look into it a little more tomorrow in the cold light of day, but that was a bit of a thrill on a Saturday.

Don't leave us hanging Jill :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

I posted a story a while back about my sister getting chased down a beach. I asked her what the man looked like and she described him and I knew exactly who she was talking about. He always gives me the creeps. I usually go walking on a ring road around my house and once I met him while out walking. Most local people would smile and say hello as it's quite a friendly area, however; he just stared and me and watched me walk the whole way down the road. So creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

cazzzzz wrote: »
    I posted a story a while back about my sister getting chased down a beach. I asked her what the man looked like and she described him and I knew exactly who she was talking about. He always gives me the creeps. I usually go walking on a ring road around my house and once I met him while out walking. Most local people would smile and say hello as it's quite a friendly area, however; he just stared and me and watched me walk the whole way down the road. So creepy.

Would you not bring him to the attention of the guards especially based on the incident with your sister. He sounds like someone's nightmare waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Precisely. What was he going to do when he caught up with her?

That being said, if the Gaurds did have a word with him he just has to say that he was out for a run and didn't mean to frighten anybody. For which he apologises for any misunderstanding..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

umm...just reading early pages on this thread & clicked on the x to close the tab & a freaky grey pic of a weird face flashes up on the screen for a second before the tab closes...my 9 year old was standing looking over my shoulder & saw it too & let out a shout...I'm trying to repeat the same actions I was doing beforehand to see if I can get it to happen again,but no...weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

umm...just reading early pages on this thread & clicked on the x to close the tab & a freaky grey pic of a weird face flashes up on the screen for a second before the tab closes...my 9 year old was standing looking over my shoulder & saw it too & let out a shout...I'm trying to repeat the same actions I was doing beforehand to see if I can get it to happen again,but no...weird

Something out of this link?

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/247/b/7/scary_stories_by_thegendra-d2y056f.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Kovu Murr wrote: »

Yes I just opened that link again to see if it was it & there it was again , holy crap this thread has me on edge even though I am a firm non believer in ghosty crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Nor sure if I've shared this one before but sure who'd mind another whirl?

A friend of mine went travelling in Great Britain in the 70s when he was a young fella. One night he was hitchhiking and got picked up by a fairly affable fella and hopped into the passenger seat. Very chatty and polite. It wasn't long before my friend noticed a woman slumped over and comatose in the back. When he enquired as to her well being the driver responded "That's the wife, she's had a bit too much to drink tonight, she's as full as lord."

"Aha, no bother"

"You can reach back and have a fiddle with her if you like. I don't mind."

"... err, I'll pass, thanks. Oh look, there's my stop, this will do fine."

A couple of years later this picture of a familiar looking fella crops up on tv.

gMdAZzq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nor sure if I've shared this one before but sure who'd mind another whirl?

A friend of mine went travelling in Great Britain in the 70s when he was a young fella. One night he was hitchhiking and got picked up by a fairly affable fella and hopped into the passenger seat. Very chatty and polite. It wasn't long before my friend noticed a woman slumped over and comatose in the back. When he enquired as to her well being the driver responded "That's the wife, she's had a bit too much to drink tonight, she's as full as lord."

"Aha, no bother"

"You can reach back and have a fiddle with her if you like. I don't mind."

"... err, I'll pass, thanks. Oh look, there's my stop, this will do fine."

A couple of years later this picture of a familiar looking fella crops up on tv.

gMdAZzq.jpg

Now that is a genuinely unnerving story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Now that is a genuinely unnerving story.

Who is it? I don't recognise murderers/rapists... Perhaps happily so. :o

EDIT: Peter Sutcliffe - thanks Google image search :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Who is it? I don't recognise murderers/rapists... Perhaps happily so. :o

EDIT: Peter Sutcliffe - thanks Google image search :D

Yeah it's Sutcliffe, he is still alive as far as I know.

Yeah it's Sutcliffe, he is still alive as far as I know.

67 according to Wiki. He appealed in 2010 but the High Court told him no, he's in there for life according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

He's been in the news again for the past few days as a retired police officer has come out and said he was probably responsible for 17 more murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

67 according to Wiki. He appealed in 2010 but the High Court told him no, he's in there for life according to them.

He asked for parole on the grounds he didn't kill anyone while in prison!

ivytwine wrote: »
    He asked for parole on the grounds he didn't kill anyone while in prison!

Ah jaysus, sure isn't he a saint?

Funnily enough there have been numerous attempts on his life while in prison, ironically one from a fellow serial murderer/rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Thought nothing of it at the time but now it makes me think.

When i was 14 or so I was staying over at my cousins house during the summer.

They had a large farm so my cousin and I would be given the responsibility of herding the sheep to their fields once the time arrived.

My cousin was told to go feed the cattle while i was told to herd 30 or so sheep to the field.(I was sickened)

What p*ssed me off the most though was the road on which the sheep had to take, it was straight for the entirety of the journey until I've reached the graveyard, which is about 50 yards to the field.

The sheep ALWAYS take the left turn up into the graveyard and scatter and my cousin and I with the sheepdog would be wrecked trying to get them out.

So being by myself i knew i was screwed, everything going fine as always and we reach the graveyard.

The sheep start doing what they normally do and I just stand there looking and thinking, f**k it.

All of a sudden, all 30 or so of the sheep stop dead in their tracks, turn around and walk right back out of the graveyard and onto the road headed toward the field, i'm standing there thinking Jesus christ, thats lucky.

The graveyard holds 2 of my uncles and my grandfather who were all sheep farmers, so maybe they just wanted to help me out that day! ha
    I'll never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Have to give you credit you got me...stupid gif
    Kovu Murr wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

ONE TIME I WAS HITCHING FOR A LIFT HOME AT NIGHT AND A CAR PULLED IN ABOUT 10 FEET AHEAD THEN I WALKED UP AND OPENED THE PASSENGER DOOR AND THERE WAS A SKELETON DRIVING THE CAR

Every time i see this thread popping up I go straight to this post. :D It's my favourite post on boards... Ever!

Everything about it is perfect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Every time i see this thread popping up I go straight to this post. :D It's my favourite post on boards... Ever!

Everything about it is perfect. :D

Part of me hoped it was it last ever post on boards. I checked. It wasn't. :(

You should bow out after you achieve perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Nothing supernatural exactly but it gave me the creeps.

A few years ago I went on a weekend away to Kerry. On route we went to a pub where we all had drinks and I had a coke.It was a warm night and I was munching away on ice cubes from the bottom of the glass but one just wouldn't melt.I was going to just swallow but instead decided to spit it back into the glass,very un characteristic for me as I used to be very self conscious. Turns out my ice cube was a big shard of glass and my tongue and lip were bleeding.So there was loud horror from the people I was with who thought I should go back to Tralee and go to hospital in case I'd swallowed any.if I'd swallowed that shard whole I think I'd certainly have killed myself and I had that repeated to me by several people in the pub .However we were in the middle of nowhere,at least 2 hrs outside of Tralee at night and I didn't think I'd swallowed any so decided to go on to find our B&B and go to a Dr if I felt unwell. I was feeling really unnerved after it though.
    Anyway, on we go but we can't find our B&B. Around 10 we stop into a shop and ask if there's one nearby and are given directions to a blue house on the next road. Turns out its called Hospital B&B and is on Hospital Road. So this seemed like a weird coincidence but maybe a sign we were in the right place.

Next morning we went down for breakfast and the owners were working in the kitchen and serving it. They come into the dining room and they're taking a great interest in us,pointing,whispering and looking it seemed at me. They came over for an awkward chat and left. Then they came back and said I bore a freakish resemblance to their niece who had died in an accident on the road outside the B&B the week before. So I offered my sympathies etc and we talked a little more,mostly about how uncannily like this girl I looked and they told me my mannerisms were very similar to hers . A few mins after that they came back and asked me if I would mind leaving. They'd rang over to another B&B to ask them to take me instead.So I was sent packing promptly.

I have to say seeing how freaked out they were really unnerved me and coupled with the glass incident and the weirdly named B&B I was left with a really creepy feeling all through the holiday,which I spent in the other B&B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Would you not bring him to the attention of the guards especially based on the incident with your sister. He sounds like someone's nightmare waiting to happen.

We think it's the same guy but, then again have no proof. When she described him I immediately said, 'do you think it was him?' and she said 'I thought it was' but, judging by the shock of it all there's no way we can be certain. It's a small village and he is already known to the guards for different reasons. It was brought to the guard's attention when the incident happened with my sister but, nothing was done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Nothing supernatural exactly but it gave me the creeps.

A few years ago I went on a weekend away to Kerry. On route we went to a pub where we all had drinks and I had a coke.It was a warm night and I was munching away on ice cubes from the bottom of the glass but one just wouldn't melt.I was going to just swallow but instead decided to spit it back into the glass,very un characteristic for me as I used to be very self conscious. Turns out my ice cube was a big shard of glass and my tongue and lip were bleeding.So there was loud horror from the people I was with who thought I should go back to Tralee and go to hospital in case I'd swallowed any.if I'd swallowed that shard whole I think I'd certainly have killed myself and I had that repeated to me by several people in the pub .However we were in the middle of nowhere,at least 2 hrs outside of Tralee at night and I didn't think I'd swallowed any so decided to go on to find our B&B and go to a Dr if I felt unwell. I was feeling really unnerved after it though.
    Anyway, on we go but we can't find our B&B. Around 10 we stop into a shop and ask if there's one nearby and are given directions to a blue house on the next road. Turns out its called Hospital B&B and is on Hospital Road. So this seemed like a weird coincidence but maybe a sign we were in the right place.

Next morning we went down for breakfast and the owners were working in the kitchen and serving it. They come into the dining room and they're taking a great interest in us,pointing,whispering and looking it seemed at me. They came over for an awkward chat and left. Then they came back and said I bore a freakish resemblance to their niece who had died in an accident on the road outside the B&B the week before. So I offered my sympathies etc and we talked a little more,mostly about how uncannily like this girl I looked and they told me my mannerisms were very similar to hers . A few mins after that they came back and asked me if I would mind leaving. They'd rang over to another B&B to ask them to take me instead.So I was sent packing promptly.

I have to say seeing how freaked out they were really unnerved me and coupled with the glass incident and the weirdly named B&B I was left with a really creepy feeling all through the holiday,which I spent in the other B&B.

Eeeeh? I hope you sued the f*ck out of the pub and made a mint????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Eeeeh? I hope you sued the f*ck out of the pub and made a mint????

Nope!The whole episode was so unnerving that I was glad to just come home and be alright. I have never accepted ice cubes in anything again unless I made them myself and put them in the glass myself though.

Nope!The whole episode was so unnerving that I was glad to just come home and be alright. I have never accepted ice cubes in anything again unless I made them myself and put them in the glass myself though.
    I'd have sued anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I'd have sued anyway

Murica?

• Advertisement

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Murica?

Fuuuuuck Yeah!

Advertisement