Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

A girl from Dublin is with her family on holidays in the midlands (during the late 70's). She is walking with her mum on the main street, they go into a shop and suddenly the people and the decor change to early 1900's.

Everything changes, and when she comes out of the shop the rest of the town from her vantage point is 1900's. She does not remember how long it stayed like that, but still remembers the occurence 30 years later with fear.

This happened to someone I know.

Any idea's?

Someone spiked her with LSD, that stuff makes you see crazy sh!t:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

A girl from Dublin is with her family on holidays in the midlands (during the late 70's). She is walking with her mum on the main street, they go into a shop and suddenly the people and the decor change to early 1900's.

Everything changes, and when she comes out of the shop the rest of the town from her vantage point is 1900's. She does not remember how long it stayed like that, but still remembers the occurence 30 years later with fear.

Any idea's?

Lay of the Poitín

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Zillah wrote: »
    It was definitely a dream.

You are probably right but defo gave me the creeps.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A serial rapist was caught hiding in my front garden when I was just a child. Creepy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Sounds like maybe sleep paralysis or a waking dream. Thankfully I've never experienced it, but it's supposed to be absolutely terrifying!

Was a strange sensation but after reading that book it was hardly surprising that the mind was over-active.

However it wasnt really a mind thing as it was a physical sensation I was getting from this cool breeze and the quilt being pulled, mad all together.

Anyway that was my one and only story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Many years ago when I was 16 I was meeting some friends in my local town in south dublin. As luck would have it for me one of there dads dropped them at my house instead of me meeting them in the town as was originally planned the 3 of us girls set off on the 15/20min walk we took a short cut that at times is isolated if I was on my own I probably would've wałked it as it was quicker then going the long way but occasionally I wouldn't as like I said it was a bit isolated and I'm easily unnerved. As we started walking were it gets lonely we passed a man just standing there and he creeped me out a bit as there was no logical reason for him to just be standing there. We kept on walking and when I looked over my shoulder he appeared to be following us and stepped back against bushes against the wall when he seen I was looking over my shoulder at him. We continued walking and as I looked back again he did the same again but this time there was something shiny glint in his hand. The 3 of us got completely freaked and ran and when we got to where it was more open and populated we started walking again and we guessed the man was gone and we went on to enjoy our day and forgot about it. A couple of weeks later there was a stabbing murder not 500m from where we saw the man that is well known and still unsolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Spent a year teaching English in South Korea in a place just north of Seoul.
    There were a good few English speaking guys there, Americans, British etc, and although the pay wasn't great, the social life was pretty good.

Anyhow, we're all out on the town one Saturday night, plenty of beers and spirits drunk, etc. I drink way too much (as usual) and get a taxi back home to my place around 2.00am.

On the way back to my apartment, I fall asleep in the back of the taxi. I'm not sure how long I've been asleep for, but a sudden noise awakens me, and I open my eyes to see the taxi driver sitting beside me in the back seat masturbating furiously.

I panic and jump out the door and sprint off into the night.

End up getting another taxi about 15minutes later.

I stay awake until we reach my apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Broadly speaking, whether or not you believe in the paranormal/ghosts/the boogie man or whatever, I've always believed that buildings or specific areas have a tendency to soak up the sort of atmosphere of previous events - be it incredibly happy or horrific.

By way of example, if any of you have visited the concentration camps in Germany or Austria, it's a well established fact that the birds simply DO NOT fly in or around the camp (despite being in their hundreds in the relatively close proximity). The minute you walk in, it's as if the mute button is pressed and you go from hearing the loud chirping of the birds to silence. Regardless of the wildlife, the place actually reeks of death.

The same can be said of particular buildings that terrible things have happened in. I know of one house where due to it's previous owner and tragic death, screams can often be heard emanating from the house in the evening. This isn't hear say either, imo. Weirdly enough, old dance hall from where I'm from, and when out walking the dog one evening, I could actually see a light in it. I figured someone was having a few sly drinks in there, etc.. It wasn't until I got closer that I could actually here the faint sound of music, chatter and commotion as if there was a full party in swing. This is a derelict building that hasn't been used in circa 30-40 years. And even then, the music wasn't of the "show band era" - it seemed older (40-50s). I don't go that route anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Sounds like maybe sleep paralysis or a waking dream. Thankfully I've never experienced it, but it's supposed to be absolutely terrifying!

Ive experienced sleep paralysis many times, and still do. Its only scary the first 2 or 3 times in my experience, but after that you just kinda know its happening and snap out of it, mentally at least. Often you're still paralysed for a short while though.
    Creepiest thing that happened to me was years ago when I was quite young. I used to share a bedroom with my brother at the back of our house and one night I was awoken by a rhythmic humming sound. It would increase in intensity and then decrease again. I thought it was just machinery or something, but then it started to get louder and louder as the minutes passed. A light then started to shine through the curtains. It too got brighter and more intense as the humming got louder.

This went on for around 20 minutes and my brother was still fast asleep as if he couldn't hear a thing. I was petrified and didn't dare move in bed. I had no idea what was causing the light and sound. Eventually the sound became deafening and the light lit up the whole room, as if whatever was causing it was right outside the window. I had to get up and see what it was.

Nervously I opened a slit in the curtains and......................everything stopped. Immediately. The sound was gone and the light had disappeared. I pulled open the curtains to get a good look, nothing, just the back garden.

My heart was still pounding so couldn't get back to sleep for an hour or so. To this day I've no idea what it was, but it scared the absolute **** out of me!

This sounds very similar to something my friend told me going back about 3 years ago. He lives about 1 km from me, but one night he rang me in a state of panic saying how the most freakiest thing ever had just happened to him.

He was sitting in his room at about 11pm watching tv, when he heard this noise outside his window that "sounded like a loud hum and grinding/crunching metal, similar to a car crash".
    Anyway, he thought maybe it was a truck passing or something and looked out. There was just a very bright light floating there about 50ft from his window across the road, he said it was extremely bright and you couldnt make anything out with it, he described it "as bright as the sun". The humming noise got louder and louder.

It continued for about 1 minute, and in a state of fear he went to grab his phone which was only about 2ft away on his desk. When he looked back out the window the noise just stopped.

At the time I was in my room with headphones on so I wouldnt have heard anything, but we cant think of what it could have been for the life of us. There's just a church across the road from his house, and there's no mouted outside lights on it that would have done such a thing, there was definitely no vehicles or people in the church either at the time. This is in the middle of nowhere, pitch black on a countryside road. Im not saying the building in particular being a church had anything to do with it, it seemed more like a UFO type thing. But Im not the type of nutjob paranormal believing person either.

Freaked him out like hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

i hate you. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

One time I bit into a sasuage with a vein in it.
    You're not supposed to bite down. The poor chap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75011326&postcount=7 <--- This story has always stuck in my mind!

There was another unusual thing I remember. I'm actually not sure if it was that unusual which is why I'm posting it, to see what people think!

Myself and a friend, about 10 or 11 at the time, were in a fairly remote part of the country. We were walking past a church which has a very small car park across the road from it.
    It's a quiet area, you'd hardly see a person all day, but there was a car parked up with all four doors wide open and music blaring out of it, but nobody in sight.
    We found it a little odd at the time, and I still can't think why a car would be sitting there with no-one around, doors open and radio blaring.

Perhaps 4 people were in the car and suddenly needed an aul pray so urgently that there wasn't time to close the doors or turn off the radio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Any idea's?

this relates to your post, saw it a couple of years ago, its not long and very interesting (if theres any truth to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Avenging Astronaut

hada wrote: »
    Broadly speaking, whether or not you believe in the paranormal/ghosts/the boogie man or whatever, I've always believed that buildings or specific areas have a tendency to soak up the sort of atmosphere of previous events - be it incredibly happy or horrific.

By way of example, if any of you have visited the concentration camps in Germany or Austria, it's a well established fact that the birds simply DO NOT fly in or around the camp (despite being in their hundreds in the relatively close proximity). The minute you walk in, it's as if the mute button is pressed and you go from hearing the loud chirping of the birds to silence. Regardless of the wildlife, the place actually reeks of death.

+1

I've been to concentration camps in Germany, and it's exactly like that. Eerily still and quiet, and often feel chilly - like you've stepped out of the real world. I've had a similar experience at two ruined Mayan cities in Mexico. Despite being in the middle of, or overgrown by a humid, noisy jungle, these places were silent and I noticed a drop in temperature. One building in particular put the hairs standing on my neck, couldn't say way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Any idea's?

Google Bold St. Liverpool Time Travel.Very Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Ha, you got me there a bit! New twist on the jumping out ****e.
    i just screamed the office down at dat, thank god i didnt have a full bladder at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Did the ouija board one time with a friend on Halloween when we were about twelve, short time later found Bob the budgie face down in his seed. Realise now it was a coincidence but cried for days believing evil spirits were punishing me for dabbling in the "dark magics". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 heisenburger

face1990 wrote: »

So we were walking for a while but couldn't find the pathway over the dunes to the car park, so I said I'd run up to the top of one of the dunes to take a look around and try to

I looked back at her and still saw a clear face of a woman looking at me, but as I moved back, her face just dissolved into grass and sand. I ran down the dune so fast! The other guys were only a few feet away from where I had been standing talking to the grass.

I saw her face so clearly. I mean, if she walked past me on the street, I think i'd recognise her.

I've seen many a similar ghosty in the dunes of Brittas Bay. I think it's the wind and the density and texture of the grass; can kind of make any shape your mind can think of.
    However, similarly, I've been right up close to the face of what I thought was a person, before it melts back into the brush.
    Always a bit unnerving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

The same can be said of particular buildings that terrible things have happened in. I know of one house where due to it's previous owner and tragic death, screams can often be heard emanating from the house in the evening. This isn't hear say either, imo. Weirdly enough, old dance hall from where I'm from, and when out walking the dog one evening, I could actually see a light in it. I figured someone was having a few sly drinks in there, etc.. It wasn't until I got closer that I could actually here the faint sound of music, chatter and commotion as if there was a full party in swing. This is a derelict building that hasn't been used in circa 30-40 years. And even then, the music wasn't of the "show band era" - it seemed older (40-50s). I don't go that route anymore.

Massively agree with that. Kilmainham Jail I found really really oppressive. Don't think I could cope with a concentration camp.

In Tomi Reichental's book he says he remembers no birds flew near Belsen the whole time he was there, and even when he went back a few years ago they still aren't there, although the camp was razed by the Allies. I assume there's some kind of scientific explanation for that, but it's incredible all the same.

There's a theory that paranormal activity is the result of buildings, especially stone, retaining energy from past events and replaying them. Repeated activity, such as dancing, would imprint heavily on the building, whereas violent events such as murder release so much energy that they too would be replayed.

Could all be hokum of course but it's very interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Any idea's?

All the towns in the Midlands in the 1970's were like that - nothing had really changed in a century tbh

Twas just like stepping back in time....

Then they discovered supermarkets...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I was once undercharged in eddie rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Massively agree with that. Kilmainham Jail I found really really oppressive. Don't think I could cope with a concentration camp.

In Tomi Reichental's book he says he remembers no birds flew near Belsen the whole time he was there, and even when he went back a few years ago they still aren't there, although the camp was razed by the Allies. I assume there's some kind of scientific explanation for that, but it's incredible all the same.

There's a theory that paranormal activity is the result of buildings, especially stone, retaining energy from past events and replaying them. Repeated activity, such as dancing, would imprint heavily on the building, whereas violent events such as murder release so much energy that they too would be replayed.

Could all be hokum of course but it's very interesting!

Utter hokum.

No birds fly over Belsen? Morally dignified sparrows, eh? Give me a break.

Of course there's an eerie feeling in historical concentration camps, everybody around you visiting is sombre, saddened, reflective. Like at a funeral. In every case in this thread of "I felt a definite chill, drop in temperature, strange feelings", the person either has prior knowledge that the building or area has a history of death and sorrow, or finds out afterwards and recalls "a feeling".

I feel a chilly draught in my bedroom all the time, doesn't mean anybody has been murdered here...yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

By way of example, if any of you have visited the concentration camps in Germany or Austria, it's a well established fact that the birds simply DO NOT fly in or around the camp (despite being in their hundreds in the relatively close proximity).

sorry - that's just rubbish. well established myth is more like it.

check out the picture in the linked article:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/stag-parties-offered-booze-and-strippers-at-auschwitz/story-e6frfq80-1225840726190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

A soldier pointed his gun at me when I walked on the grass in a palace compound outside of St Petersburg in Russia. I thought I was fcuked. It was snowing and the road was covered in two inches of crap. The Russian guide and the rest of the group were taking the piss all week about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Trine wrote: »
    Utter hokum.

No birds fly over Belsen? Morally dignified sparrows, eh? Give me a break.

Of course there's an eerie feeling in historical concentration camps, everybody around you visiting is sombre, saddened, reflective. Like at a funeral. In every case in this thread of "I felt a definite chill, drop in temperature, strange feelings", the person either has prior knowledge that the building or area has a history of death and sorrow, or finds out afterwards and recalls "a feeling".

I feel a chilly draught in my bedroom all the time, doesn't mean anybody has been murdered here...yet.

Hmmmm my belief about the birds is this- in Belsen at least there were incredibly unhealthy, unsanitary conditions. Most inmates actually died from typhus, especially just prior to liberation. The Nazis, largely because they were losing and couldn't give a toss about dead Jews anyway, piled up the bodies around the camp. The Allies actually forced the Nazis to bury the dead- with their bare hands- after liberation. Anyway, my theory would be that the birds and other animals probably kept away from the area at the time due to the incredibly unhealthy and unclean conditions, which were rife for disease. Whether they still do, I don't know, haven't been there. But some believe that they do.

Death has a stench and all creatures recognise it. These animals rely on their senses, which we humans have let slide.

This thread is supposed to be about creepy experiences, which are never logical. Where's your sense of ghoulishness! :)
    RGDATA! wrote: »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/stag-parties-offered-booze-and-strippers-at-auschwitz/story-e6frfq80-1225840726190

Belsen was the only one I heard about with the birds, no idea about Auschwitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Chun Li

RGDATA! wrote: »

Classy tour - what better way to finish off your stag after pints and strippers than a tour of the Auschwitz, way to soak up the atmosphere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Nothing really creepy ever happened to me, but some weird **** did happen to my father. When he was about 11 or 12 he went shooting in the bog with his brother who was about 17, after a while a man in a suit approached them claiming to be a firearms and licence inspector; he asked my father for the gun but my uncle wouldn't let him have it. The man just walked off without saying too much, they heard later that somebody fitting that man's description had killed two guys shooting with their own gun about an hour after.

Another thing was my Grandad used to work in the mills in Clondalkin starting every morning about 6 o'clock one day while walking up the canal he met a man walking towards him pushing a bike, he said hello but the man said nothing, just kept on walking. When he turned around there was nobody there, to this day may Grandad swears blind that it was a ghost as there was nowhere he could have went.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭average hero

One day when I was about 10 I was messing around with my radio scanning obscure MW and AM frequencies. I was distracted so I put the radio on a frequency with no sound so as I didn't hear static. I didn't want to turn the radio off as that would have reset the radio back to the first station I was on.

Suddenly about two minutes later, the radio jumped to life with a female voice with an English accent speaking random numbers in a very steady clear voice. It was as if she was talking to me!

I didn't know what to think! Aliens were the first things I thought of!

Needless to say I nearly crapped myself and quickly turned the radio off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Creepy story about something known as the 'Hungry fields' relating to the famine. Of course I've no idea how true/false this story is but it's creepy anyway.:pac: It caught my attention because when my mother was young she was out on the bogs and fainted because she was suddenly quite hungry (her blood sugar levels had dropped suddenly something that happens to my older brother and I even though none of us are diabetics) and she was carried home. When she returned home her mother called it 'An Féar Gortha' or something to that effect, so interested I looked it up and found this story, which I thought was fairly scary. By the way, sorry it's so long! :o

The old man swore that this had happened to his grandad's brother. We all smiled. It was quite amazing the breadth of things that had assaulted his family in his stories so far.
    He caught our knowing expressions. But instead of meeting them with the usual wink of collusion in willing gullibility, he grew serious. "No, really. It happened." He seemed uncomfortable suddenly, in the midst of an English pub, far across the Irish Sea. Whatever the truth, it was certain that he believed this one.
    His great-uncle, as a young man, had been out walking after a day at work. He was heading home for his tea, but he was in no great hurry. It was a pleasant late afternoon, settling into the long shadows of encroaching evening.
    He was quite alone on that quiet country lane. All around him the miles stretched out over a peat bog wilderness, ending in distant mountains. Pools of water glistened here and there, growing darker as he approached, reflecting more the soil beneath than the sinking sun above

As he had done a hundred times or more, he passed by a deserted village standing well back from the track.
    The cottages and crofts were just roofless stumps of walls. Their occupants were long gone. The familiar sight nonetheless always unsettled him and he sped up to pass it.
    Only, on this occasion, he happened to glance at the overgrown outline of one of the old fields surrounding it. No-one had ploughed that since the potato crop failed, half a century before.
    He didn't know what compelled him to wander over there. There was no gate, if there had ever been one, but the dry-stone walls had survived well enough. He entered the field and meandered across it, pushing through tall grasses and unchecked wild flowers.

It had felt peaceful, but then an eerie sensation passed through him. He wasn't sure why he'd wanted to be in there; but now he really wanted to move on. He couldn't say what was making him uncomfortable, maybe the memory of tragedy implied by the location. But it was time to go.
    He couldn't find the gap where a gate might have been. Half-laughing at himself, calling himself all manner of fool, he finally applied some reason to the bizarre situation. The field wasn't so big, nor the grass so tall that he couldn't see over it, but he patently couldn't see the way out. He would simply follow the wall instead. It had to eventually lead to the gate, didn't it?
    The sun slipped behind the horizon and he hadn't come home. It was quite late before his wife raised the alarm, having spent some time getting past her annoyance at a spoiled meal in order to ascertain that he wasn't in any of the local pubs.

His brothers, cousins and friends formed a search party, checking all over town.
    The Connemara man's grandad was amongst those who retraced the route back to his place of work.
    By now it was nearly midnight and the empty bog was pitch black, with no moon to speak of to guide them. They called his name and listened intently. No response was heard.
    It was morning before he was found, still walking around and around the field.
    One of his work-mates and two of his brothers stood outside the perimeter calling his name. He appeared blank, unhearing, but with an expression of utter desperation and exhaustion. He did not look up, nor even acknowledge that they were there.

Finally his eldest brother grabbed him by the arm, as he staggered by the gap in the wall. He looked at them with haunted eyes and gabbled words about hunger. So much hunger. He was famished. Then he collapsed.
    He was carried home and nursed by his worried wife. He appeared aged and frail, shocked to the core. His weariness far out-stripped that expected of any healthy man in the prime of his life, even one who'd been walking all night.
    And he was so hungry, always hungry, in a way which no food could abate. He never recovered and died within the week.
    We asked his great-nephew what the cause had been, but the Connemara man just shrugged and said, "Something like general debility." Then he shivered and reached for his pint. It was a story that he'd been told by his grandfather and he believed it.
    Right then, in that place and time, looking at his expression, so did we.

http://wizzley.com/fear-gortha-the-irish-hungry-grass/

Advertisement