Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is CTYI? *new*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Ctyi is aquiring nicknames (nerddom has nothing to do with spelling) etc.... ne1 wanna offer nemore

*nods towards nicknames threads*
    think you'll find them there love.

and my god, who was made listen to busted for two hours? and who made them listen to in. jesus like. poor chap.
    (i asked you to dance at the disco, but you said no... ask your sister what she's missing.... said i've been to the year 3000, no much has changed but they live underwater, and your great great great granddaughter is pretty fine.... a time machine like the one in a film i've seen... yeah...)
    ah busted.

does anyone else think yer man 'scruffy' dave, ses1 '03, looks like he shudda been in busted? i diddly do.

seeyou at the crossroads, crossroads...

oh ****e, that's blazin' squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by purplepolkadot
    does anyone else think yer man 'scruffy' dave, ses1 '03, looks like he shudda been in busted? i diddly do.
    As in spikey Dave, Dave Lawler? No no, he belongs in Sum 41.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

CTYI is.......
    where the freaks, geeks, creeps and weirdos of the world unite to plot world domination.
    where the hot coco starts breathing and LIVES
    where various other foods bounce and take on forms of their own will
    where you have a fire drill at 11 p.m. and end up flashing the italian studens across the way on your way out
    where you frolick in the rain
    where you find you limit on how many jolts you can drink in one siting
    where you do stuff that the people back home won't find out about
    where you get chained to various people or lead people around on a leash:D
    and other stuff
    words can not do it justice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Originally posted by purplepolkadot
    *nods towards nicknames threads*
    think you'll find them there love.

Isnt that the second time u put that up? neway i put that post up jst befor u started the thread so i did see them, love

ooooh, handbags at dawn/

yeah, i might have posted that before... bit ****e with the whole connection thing in these parts, and i'm a bit slow.
    As in spikey Dave, Dave Lawler? No no, he belongs in Sum 41.

he's too tanned (and unpierced and untattooed) for sum 41!!! he's hrdkoer, not hardcore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

finally the leaving cert pays off, and ive found something on the course which could pass for an explanation of CTYI.

Brian Keenan summed it up when he said in An Evil Cradling :-
    "When one is constantly subject to a heightened reality, all things are disproportionate."

Time moves so fast at CTYI but so intensly also, things which should take months are done in days. It's like having a whole year condensed down to less than 3 weeks, experiences take on a whole new level of reality and its a time you can never forget.

Im glad i went at any rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

CTYI -- Fat camp for smart people. That's all there is to say.
    I think I stole that off someone.

Oh, and they make you get up reeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy early.
    But it was Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

getting ur stuff the second or third or 4th or last yr u go.

knowing its all ahead of u, even if its the last time.

but then u cant know whats all ahead of u till u go or make sense of this thread.

but anyway.........

ctyi: nerd camp

Nerd camp, except some people get some at the discos. Not everyone, though*

*feel the bitterness. it's my 1000th post though, so I'm slightly less bitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

hey, when i was there it looked as if even the nerdiest kids (mister macintosh, snort! snort!) were gettin some. i sure loved that place...

well, us being nerds doesn't mean we don't get none. everyone has to get some somewhere. so nerds feed off each other naturally enough. c'mon we make it into a game with rules and points like. nerdy? NERDY.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is it just 12 - 16 year olds allowed go here? I really should have found this earlier :( it seems cool and id love to have done something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

aye the cutoff is 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

:( God damn our school for not distributing information about this....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

CTYI......where do I begin?
    I've just done my first year. I have one left. I count myself as one of the lucky ones, even to get one or two chances to be a part of this. Its brilliant and something you'll never forget. But there are other chances in life, other opportunities. So if you dont hear of CTYI or whatever, dont worry. There'll be something for you.
    I'm not one of those who say that it changed my life completely. It didnt. But that said, it made a pretty big difference. I made a lot of friends. I would think of myself as a better person coming out of it.
    And its not a nerd camp. Oh wait.....I've just remembered the Spiderman vs Wolverine argument. So it is a bit. But still. What the hell, we had a great time, so if we're nerds then so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Rainbow Girl

CTYI?
    Heaven on earth. It's where all the outcasts, weirdos, nerds and necrophiliacs (lookin at you, Liquorice and Tumbo) can go to band together and have a laugh. People can be themselves, or a hightened version of themselves. Orgies, guitars, points... and that certain feeling that's everywhere and makes everything seem that bit more vibrant, I'd say it's like what Oisín was talking about, it's like concentrated life or something...
    Meh, I dunno how to express it in words, if you've been there, you know what I mean, if you haven't, you never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A funktastic lifetime explosion of life, love, vibrancy, emotion and happiness mixed with pain and sorrow in three weeks of blissful ignorance and apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

IT'S AN UBERIFIC THING
    it is the only place where you can run around be yourself, get into VERY STRANGE situations (i.e. why my hand was up dave's shirt), have two rolls of pictures that your family will NEVER see, totaly loose sense of time, space and normalcy all together
    and then.......
    have it all come crashing down around you into the bleakness of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

CTYI is the damned offspring of the sixties and the rennaisance.
    hence the learning and the free love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

CTYI is the damned offspring of the sixties and the rennaisance.
    hence the learning and the free love.

There's nothing particularly unique about "free love" nowadays. Essentially, the kids from the Sixties wanted to separate adult relationships and marriage, which is how it works now. More or less.

The true goal of CTYI is to keep the minds of the underchallenged Irish youth from plotting a coup against the Government, and ushering in a new era of intellectual Utopia. Given the state of most intellectual Utopias in world history, this is a noble aim.

article6 wrote:
    The true goal of CTYI is to keep the minds of the underchallenged Irish youth from plotting a coup against the Government, and ushering in a new era of intellectual Utopia. Given the state of most intellectual Utopias in world history, this is a noble aim.
    Of course, if CTYI fails and you all start a revolution, there is always the backup plan

*does some maths*
    Yeah, we should have enough ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I love my ctyi. Once, again, I feel the need to repeat that this is bill. Howdy.

um

I've really nothing to add. WOOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Starbabe

WEW!!! Billiam!
    ctyi is indescribable. you can only say so much with words.-

"enigma.
    the proud name is yours
    written in golden calligraphy
    accross the dip
    between thinking and feeling
    brighter than the martyrs hope
    sweeter than the hummingbirds soul
    lighter than angel gardens
    lovlier than ocean smiles
    rarer than rusty lightening...."

part of a poem by Cathy O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

not sure if this view has been given before but it is by nerds for nerds its wonderfully camp and lazy making and good

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

CTYI is... cool. That's all there is to it. It's a haven. That's it! Or for some people who want to be difficult, it's whatever you make it out to be; a learning experience, a life experience, summer school, life school, or as in mine and one other persons opinion a tie-in with outside life. The 2 go hand in hand with each other.

(that has got to be the deepest i have ever been. before this the deepest i've been is 10 ft in the deep-end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

It's a microchosm of a perfect, completly tolerant society in which everyone loves for the sake of love and existance is completly removed from the harsh realities of actuality....

I did writing for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Huzzah for Jim! Nice description, that's my favourite one so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

CTYI is like...when its a really hot day...and you're so thirsty your tongue is twice as big as your head...and you need a drink, you NEED A DRINK...and then, just as you pass a vending machine filled with sweet sweet liquid, two euro pops out of your seemingly empty pocket. Bliss man. Thats all there is.

I'm sorry.

I really shouldn't post when I'm too hot and thirsty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You pay for vending machine drinks? :eek:
    That's not in the spirit of CTYI! Goddamn I'm bored!

Advertisement