Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just for Fun: Overnight Low - January 8th-9th 2021

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Bitter in Cork tonight. Feels the coldest its been, and two separate thermometers I have in my garden (which usually read the same as Cork airport) says its approx -3.7 at the mo. Moreover, looking on wow.met.ie, there seem to be temperatures from ca. -2 to -6 showing in stations within 30km of me. However, Cork Airport (5km from me) is showing 1c at midnight. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

However, Cork Airport (5km from me) is showing 1c at midnight. Anyone?

Milder air aloft, and that dreaded "marine layer" also. Cork Airport is in a hill so is tapping into that mild sea air.

Most of the low temps across the south are owing to cold pooling and clear skies. At this stage the Atlantic has pushed well across the country at upper levels of the air.

Danno wrote: »
    Milder air aloft, and that dreaded "marine layer" also. Cork Airport is in a hill so is tapping into that mild sea air.

Most of the low temps across the south are owing to cold pooling and clear skies. At this stage the Atlantic has pushed well across the country at upper levels of the air.

Many thanks. Amazing really as I'm only about 70m lower than it. The -6 is in Bandon which is probably 130m lower than the airport but its only 26km from the airport so 7c is quite the difference.

Actually I see Moore Park is reading -5 at midnight which is how it feels. Also Cork Airport reports its weather as "smoke" - presumably related to that fire in Ringaskiddy earlier. I wonder is that a factor too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Actually I see Moore Park is reading -5 at midnight which is how it feels. Also Cork Airport reports its weather as "smoke" - presumably related to that fire in Ringaskiddy earlier. I wonder is that a factor too?
    Yes, still enough smog in the air to warrant a warning.

I seen -6c in Bandon, and the height difference would explain that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was actually -10.5c in Co Down Katesbridge last night but guess Norn Iron doesnt count

Advertisement