Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whatsyourface

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Did you get a 'period' when you were on the 7 day break?

You really should look at getting a dr closer to where you are for most of the week.

Yeah i got a period. Cant seem to find a doctor here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get in touch with your local helath clinic and they can send you out a list of all your local gps in your area.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/LHO/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wiki

Hey I'm just wondering does anyone know of an alternative contraception pill to Dianette that would have the same affect on acne?
    I was on Dianette for 2 years and it worked great but now my skin isnt as great as it was and I know I shouldnt go on dianette again because it does have dangerous side effect for prolonged use, as well as making me very emotional :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

wiki wrote: »
    Hey I'm just wondering does anyone know of an alternative contraception pill to Dianette that would have the same affect on acne?
    I was on Dianette for 2 years and it worked great but now my skin isnt as great as it was and I know I shouldnt go on dianette again because it does have dangerous side effect for prolonged use, as well as making me very emotional :p

Most girls are put on Yasmin after they've been on Dianette. Doesn't work for everyone though remember, like all pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

Hi, I was wondering would anyone have any advice about not taking a 7 day break from the contraceptive pill? I'm going college the day I'm due my period and reeeeally don't want that, but obviously don't want to take any risks with the pill either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

AmyMaria wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering would anyone have any advice about not taking a 7 day break from the contraceptive pill? I'm going college the day I'm due my period and reeeeally don't want that, but obviously don't want to take any risks with the pill either.

I don't know if there are any medical ramifications from not taking the break, but I've done it a few times for festivals/important events and I've had no side effects, apart from occassionally having a heavier-than-normal period during the next break! I'm on yasmin fyi :)

Check the leaflet which is in the packet of you pill says or talk to the pharmacist who dispensed them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

wiki wrote: »

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/578285

nice short article on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, off the pill now just over a week, had my period as normal (although a bit heavier than usual) and today is the day my body is expecting me to take the pill again but I'm absolutely weak with tiredness! Last three days I'm sleeping till 1pm and again at five pm and then barely making it to bed at twelve! Right now I'm yawning!
    Is this normal or should I be worried?

It could be a hole range of things, talk to your dr about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

My mam's just started going through this, she's quite young though, 48 and I was just lookign for some advice form other people who have witnessed their mother's/sister's/auts/friends go through this.
    I haven't! I want to be supportive but I don't know what to say! She's never been one to talk about her health to be honest and definitely not when it comes to women's problems.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is it necessary to have a pap smear/cervical exam done before a doctor can prescribe me birth control? Im not sexually active yet but i'm planning on doing it soon with the b/f. I know i will have to get it done eventually and i understand how important it is but i'd really like to get the pill without having to go through the physical part. Im 20 by btw.

I didn't know whether i should start up a new thread but im sure the mods will move it ifs its not ok here.

Hope this isn't to graphic or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's not necessary, a doctor will prescribe the pill without you having a smear test done, but if you want to get one done now it's no harm, it would get you used to it, you will have to pay for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

As far as I know they won't do a smear if you're a virgin.

Thanks for your replies. I tried searching online but they don't seem to have any info about this on any of the Irish sites ive checked. I was a bit relieved when i read your responses. I'm still a bit anxious though that when i do go in the doctor won't give me a prescription for the pill unless i undergo a physical. Its probably all in my head!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Belle May wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I tried searching online but they don't seem to have any info about this on any of the Irish sites ive checked. I was a bit relieved when i read your responses. I'm still a bit anxious though that when i do go in the doctor won't give me a prescription for the pill unless i undergo a physical. Its probably all in my head!!
    You definitely won't need a physical! And on the remote chance that the doctor wouldn't give you a prescription without doing a physical exam you don't have to consent- your doctor isn't going to pin you down on the couch and give you a smear test or anything without your agreement! :eek:
    Getting the pill won't be a big deal to your doctor, they get hundreds of girls looking for the pill. :)

And fair play that you are being sensible about birth control, but don't forget that the pill won't protect against STD's! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I went on the pill about two weeks ago, same age as OP, and all he did was ask a few questions and take my blood pressure. No bother, very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jildwy

Hi Belle May,

The doctor will not need to do a physical exam. He/she will ask you some general medical questions about your previous health, take your blood pressure and discuss the various contraception options that are available. He/she definitely will not give you a smear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭hollygirl08

Hi,
    I hope I'm posting this is the right section, apologies if I'm not. As the title says I need some advice or rather if any of you have any opinions on the following:
    I want to go for a full STI screening after an "episode" last week. The first medical centre I phoned up said you could get one done 1 week after said episode, hence I duly made my appointment for early next week. Then I got to thinking maybe that's too soon to get it done. So I phoned another place where they said for a full screening you would have to wait for 3 weeks after. Then I rang the WWC as they said for the blood tests you would have to wait 3 months before you should get it done. I'm at my wits end at this stage and don't know who to believe or what to do. Should I go for the appointment next week or should I leave it for 3 weeks or heaven forbid 3 months. I'd be so grateful if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Many thanks in advance xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭smallgarden

edited post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭hollygirl08

Small garden,
    Thanks so much for your reply. Can't really do that as would probably have to take the day off work and can't do that at the mo. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hollygirl08 I moved your question here as you may get more replies from the ladies here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Any opinions on taking the pill in order to stop periods? I usually end up being out for two days a month with it and I just can't do that this year, my periods aren't agony but they get in the way and make me unable to function for about two days.

I know there are side effects to taking the pill but do you think it'd be worth it to stop my period? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dandm

Hi Everyone,
    ok so, smear tests.. do all women get them as they are supposed to and do you think there is enough awareness about them?
    I have always seen them as important, and got them done when needed. Last 2 smears were abnormal. Was sent in to the colposcopy dept for a biopsy and results came back CIN3, had to go in again today and they did LLETZ - which means they remove the abnormal cells, basically scrape them off. any of these procedures... smear, colposcopy, and lletz are all very unpleasant and I dont think there is enough support and advice for young women about them.
    I was terribly freaked out by my results, i did loads of research on the Internet and educated myself on all this smear stuff.
    I wasn't going to tell anyone - friend etc. but then did get talking and whoa its such a common thing that seems to happen young women! everyone seemed to know someone who has had it done at some stage.
    its an unpleasant thing to go through and I really think there should be more support and it should be talked about more.
    Has anyone had LLETZ done? anyone any concerns that we can talk about? anyone feeling a bit shy about getting smears done? dont know what to expect when u go in etc? Lets talk about it!
    I spoke to the nurse today before i went in and told her i think there should be more support or a group or something and she loved my idea!
    The gynecologist who performed the procedure told me to buy a book called: Every Woman. He said every woman should read about it cos he said women dont know enough about their bodies and their bits down there (he didnt say exactly that..)
    Thoughts and comments please.
    M :)

Just found a lump in my boob. Any recommendations for who to see to get it checked out? (I'm in South Dublin)

Start with your own dr and if it's something to be concerned about they will refer you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Hi I was wondering what is the story with nuvaring and antibiotics. I know the old view with the pill was if you're sick you mightn't digest the pill with the antibiotic because you might throw up. I never saw anything in the pamphlet on nuvaring interfering with antibiotic (more so with anti fungal meds).
    But the pill and nuvaring release the same chemical al be it in different ways. Through my very quick i'll admit skimming of the internets this morning a more modern view is antibiotics interfere because hormones are overloaded with chemicals? Then there is another train of thought that this might be all incorrect anyway and its only in a select few women the affect is found.
    I can't find a answer on the nuvaring website or online that confirms a answer for me either way. There is studies to suggest penicillin would have to be a ingredient then of course some that deny this.
    I would ask my gp but i've just moved country and my new gp (well the first one i've tried since being here) doesn't seem to know. Anyone ask their doctor before?
    I've started a bout of antibiotics and will air on the cautious side but find it a little troubling the website doesn't draw a line in the sand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, my doctor advises using extra protection when on antibiotics and the nurvaring, as there are not any conclusive results as to whether it is affected by antibiotics or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

thats what i figured i'd do. Just surprised they don't have a answer for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

I don't know if this is the right place to pose this question but I thought I'd ask, I'm advancing in years, okay close to 40 but I am losing hair down below, is this supposed to happen? Has anyone else experienced similar? Thanks

Advertisement