Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-01-2021, 20:51   #61
wiggle16
Moderator
 
wiggle16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaguar View Post
2 famous quotes

The Voltaire quote about freedom of speech "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

He never said it.
Or as the joke goes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the DEATH your right to misattribute it to Voltaire!!"
- Voltaire

"Let them eat cake" is another one. Marie Antoinette was a child when the quote began to do the rounds so she could not have said it.

The idea that people prior to say, the 15th century, thought that the Earth was flat and you could sail over the edge, is also a myth. The Ancient Greeks had mathematically determined that the Earth is round.

That the Polish Hussars charged at German tanks... on horseback.
wiggle16 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2021, 21:03   #62
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10,694
The laughable piece in Tom Barry's book about Japanese soldiers after the fall of Singapore singing "The Boys of Kilmichael".

More chance of the lads of the column performing Kabuki.
whisky_galore is offline  
Thanks from:
08-01-2021, 10:53   #63
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,689
That Richard III killed his nephews, had a withered arm, etc.
pinkypinky is offline  
Thanks from:
08-01-2021, 18:32   #64
silliussoddius
Registered User
 
silliussoddius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
That Richard III killed his nephews, had a withered arm, etc.
What is current thinking of what happened them?
silliussoddius is offline  
08-01-2021, 19:11   #65
saabsaab
Registered User
 
saabsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,208
That De Valera was behind the shooting of Michael Collins.
saabsaab is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2021, 18:22   #66
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,717
That the first shots of the War of Independence was fired at Soloheadbeg
Edgware is offline  
Thanks from:
09-01-2021, 19:22   #67
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by silliussoddius View Post
What is current thinking of what happened them?
Much more likely to have been Henry since the boys had a stronger claim than their sister who he married. Shakespeare performed great propaganda for the Tudors.

Finding Richard's skeleton proved he had a deformed spine but his arms were normal.
pinkypinky is offline  
Thanks from:
10-01-2021, 09:35   #68
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsaab View Post
That De Valera was behind the shooting of Michael Collins.
You can blame that cartoon of a Michael Collins movie for popularising that.
whisky_galore is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2021, 17:48   #69
Caquas
Registered User
 
Caquas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notoldorwise View Post
"Being born in a stable does not make one a horse". A quote falsely claimed to have been uttered by the Duke of Wellington
Worse still, it was said about him by his arch-enemy Daniel O'Connell. During a speech at a banquet after one of O'Connell's Monster Meetings on Sunday the 1st of October 1843
Quote:
The following passage in reference to the Duke of Wellington was received with great laughter: “The poor old duke what shall I say of him. To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse.”
In fact, the Duke was from a distinguished Anglo-Irish family with deep roots in Ireland. His father was the first Professor of Music in Trinity College and the Duke was famously musical. Beethoven’s orchestral piece "Wellington’s Victory" is said to have made its composer more money than any other work.
Caquas is offline  
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 00:25   #70
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,689
I think it's marvellous that we consider Wellington's comment a snub against us when DOC actually meant to snub him in reverse by saying. We should allow this historical inaccuracy to stand.
pinkypinky is offline  
Thanks from:
21-01-2021, 19:24   #71
grassylawn
Registered User
 
grassylawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 217
Cork is called the Rebel County because of its resistance to British rule.

It is called that by Henry VII because it sent two pretenders during his reign.
https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/history/...rebel-16323863
grassylawn is offline  
21-01-2021, 19:29   #72
saabsaab
Registered User
 
saabsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassylawn View Post
Cork is called the Rebel County because of its resistance to British rule.

It is called that by Henry VII because it sent two pretenders during his reign.
https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/history/...rebel-16323863

It's probably now called that still because of the resistance!
saabsaab is offline  
21-01-2021, 19:43   #73
coolbeans
Registered User
 
coolbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
That many Irish people of sallow skin must descend from survivors of the Spanish Armada.

This comes up a lot now in discussing the ethnicity results of DNA tests.
Sallow doesn't mean what you think it means... at least everywhere except Ireland it means sickly looking or jaundiced.
coolbeans is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-01-2021, 00:29   #74
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans View Post
Sallow doesn't mean what you think it means... at least everywhere except Ireland it means sickly looking or jaundiced.
And it's etymologically related to the Irish salach, dirty!

In what is basically a racist usage, it came to be applied to the brownish or yellowish skin tones of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern people, the implication being that these people were naturally unclean.
Peregrinus is offline  
(3) thanks from:
22-01-2021, 19:49   #75
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,285
A controversial one here, that the Examiner (and all other outlets) recently reported:

Quote:
The Galway historian, whose research established that 796 children were buried in a septic tank at a former mother and baby home in Tuam
The "800 babies in a septic tank" went round the world and has been almost universally accepted as established fact among the public and the media, and has been discussed a lot in recent weeks.

This is not the case at all and the lady who "established" this, never said or argued that 800 babies were dumped in a septic tank.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...tory-1.1823393
John Hutton is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet