Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storing Lego Sets

• 06-11-2020 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Just wondering how people store their sets when the main user is a child?

My little guy has started to really get into lego and is asking for different sets. Unfortunately we have no idea how is best to store them and as he is only 4, the sets he has gotten so far have all been dumped together in storage crate with the base sets of just blocks that he's gotten.

I've tried storing them in plastic bags in a separate crate with the instructions books so we can tell what they are but he whilst he plays them with his dad sometimes, he mostly likes to make builds on his own and then things get mixed up and he gets a little upset when he can't make up the sets with dad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just wondering how people store their sets when the main user is a child?

My little guy has started to really get into lego and is asking for different sets. Unfortunately we have no idea how is best to store them and as he is only 4, the sets he has gotten so far have all been dumped together in storage crate with the base sets of just blocks that he's gotten.

I've tried storing them in plastic bags in a separate crate with the instructions books so we can tell what they are but he whilst he plays them with his dad sometimes, he mostly likes to make builds on his own and then things get mixed up and he gets a little upset when he can't make up the sets with dad.

No real easy way but we keep any completed builds in a large crate so he can just lift them out intact and play with them whenever he wants, any other builds he hasn’t used in a while gets broken up and we separate all the pieces by colour into smaller clear storage boxes from mr price so if he wants to rebuild they are a bit easier to find the pieces he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedzer01

Zip lock durable food bags are what we use. The whole set goes in there with it’s manual.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Nedzer01 wrote: »
    Zip lock durable food bags are what we use. The whole set goes in there with it’s manual.
    Yeah, have done this for the smaller builds. Still have the issue of things like the Death Star...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I do the numbered parts as per the manual into zip lock bags, depending on the size, bundle 2/3 parts into one bag.
    Great for when you want to keep the sets in a workable order, maybe not so much for kids sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We have low wide storage boxes that slide under the bed. I find they tended to ignore it a bit when its out of sight though.

If I was doing it again I'd get one of those play table for the center of the room. Make it as easy as possible to play with when ever they wanted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+play+table&rlz=1C1GCEB_enIE863IE863&sxsrf=ALeKk005IaBK_ypRtzb2WvAxI6TSw12cEw:1604665649259&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYi4ew9e3sAhUlRhUIHcR8DcYQ_AUoAXoECBYQAw&biw=1280&bih=578

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭blackbox

Better to have the sets all bundled together so the child can use his or her imagination to build new things rather than just follow instructions.

I find cutlery trays are good for grouping different types of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

IKEA have a range bygkklek of lego storage boxes.

We're currently in the same situation, duplo is in a big storage box kept in sitting room, they dip in and out.

The eldest is getting more into the lego sets , currently adopting a ziploc bag with instructions but as the sets get larger that wont be workable .

His dad kept all his lego made up on a shelf in the wardrobe, grand if you have the space.

His dad is very much follow the instructions where I'm more use your imagination :)

I do want to get/fashion a lego table though, I think they are class .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

A little extreme but
    HTH...
    https://imgur.com/gallery/wLckaU9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭ozmo

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    A little extreme but
    HTH...
    https://imgur.com/gallery/wLckaU9

Cool - but I would say useless for someone build sets... it would take you all day to get the parts together for a build.

We store all in zip locked bag per set, or two for big sets - same as others here - but we file the manuals away in one shelf location - that way we know what sets we have and the manuals don't get all torn like they do when left with the bricks.

The boxes are kept too - flattened and stored out of sight - don't understand how collectors can chuck these.

We have far far too many loose bricks and incomplete sets still though :/

“Roll it back”

Advertisement