Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bridesmaid Roles

Options
  • 18-01-2021 8:01pm

A recent thread has me thinking. Myself and Fiancé have organised everything related to our wedding, so far. I enjoy planning and contacting vendors and pulling it all together. I have a good eye and am well able to pick colour schemes and do table plans etc.

My bridesmaids have nothing to do but what is there for them to do? I'm not having a hen because of Covid and 2 of them live in the UK. On the day itself I can't foresee things that they could do.

What are your thoughts? Do your bridesmaids have jobs?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don't really expect my one bridesmaid to do much tbh! She's our official witness, so she'll sign the registry. She'll walk up the (very short) aisle just before me holding a bunch of flowers. I was happy to pay for a dress, but told her to pick whatever she wanted (not a bridesmaids dress, just a regular dress that she'd actually wear again on nights out). I didn't want her feeling uncomfortable and "looking" like a bridesmaid if you get me (it's not her style and she'd hate the attention).

Back before the pandemic, we were starting to plan a hen together. That's obviously gone out the window now, but if we do actually go ahead in May it might be nice if she could organise a virtual hen.

I'm not giving her any actual "jobs" in relation to the wedding though. When it comes to organising the wedding, I feel like that's my job (and well, technically my fiance's job too :rolleyes:)

woodchuck wrote: »
    I don't really expect my one bridesmaid to do much tbh! She's our official witness, so she'll sign the registry. She'll walk up the (very short) aisle just before me holding a bunch of flowers. I was happy to pay for a dress, but told her to pick whatever she wanted (not a bridesmaids dress, just a regular dress that she'd actually wear again on nights out). I didn't want her feeling uncomfortable and "looking" like a bridesmaid if you get me (it's not her style and she'd hate the attention).

Back before the pandemic, we were starting to plan a hen together. That's obviously gone out the window now, but if we do actually go ahead in May it might be nice if she could organise a virtual hen.

I'm not giving her any actual "jobs" in relation to the wedding though. When it comes to organising the wedding, I feel like that's my job (and well, technically my fiance's job too :rolleyes:)

A virtual hen is a nice idea. Are you tempted to just do everything? Even organising the hen? I'm conscious of coming across like Bridezilla so even though I enjoy the planning it feels easier to do it all myself.

My maid of honour will sign the registry, I hadn't even thought of that!

The auld fiances do tend to take a back seat, or so I've heard :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My bridesmaid picked up the bouquets on the day of the wedding as she was passing by the florist on the way to my house, other than that, she showed up in a lovely dress she picked. I went dress shopping with my mam because she wanted to do that as a bit of an experience. Myself
    and my husband did our table plans etc. I think it would have been odd to have her around for all that so I didn't really involve her in any planning, other than when we both shopped for her bag and shoes. She was a great help at the actual wedding because I got really drunk so she took care of paying certain vendors, which I didn't realise until the next day 😂

My bridesmaid picked up the bouquets on the day of the wedding as she was passing by the florist on the way to my house, other than that, she showed up in a lovely dress she picked. I went dress shopping with my mam because she wanted to do that as a bit of an experience. Myself
    and my husband did our table plans etc. I think it would have been odd to have her around for all that so I didn't really involve her in any planning, other than when we both shopped for her bag and shoes. She was a great help at the actual wedding because I got really drunk so she took care of paying certain vendors, which I didn't realise until the next day ��

Your bridesmaid wasn't with you the morning of getting her hair and makeup done?

Your bridesmaid wasn't with you the morning of getting her hair and makeup done?

Yeah, she collected the bouquets on the way to my house to get hair and make up done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Had my sister as a bridesmaid but if I had my time over I wouldn't have bothered. We got married legally before our big wedding and had our mothers sign the register. I didn't want a hen party but if I had I'd probably have organised it myself.
    I don't really get big bridal parties myself. Seems a bit pointless in terms of hassle and expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Like Lazygal I wouldn’t bother if I could do it over. All they did was stand there looking nice and cost me money. There was nothing for them to do and they weren’t needed besides looking nice in the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I was bridesmaid at my sister's wedding along with our mutual friend (& they're both my bridesmaids). I did have some jobs the day of the wedding but nothing too much or too formal. As bridesmaids we were looking after my 2 nieces during the ceremony (they were quite little) & generally being on hand during the photos to help fix a veil or flowers etc when needed lol. Additionally my sister gave us each some of the payments to give the DJ, the bar staff tip etc. to save herself or her husband having to try to do it while also talking to all the guests. Oh & the most important job was to be her buddies on the dancefloor for most of the night :D

I was thinking recently that I should have asked a close male friend of mine to part of the bridal party. He's brilliant and a million percent reliable.
    I was also thinking, only half mind, of unasking the three of them and going without :D
    One of them I haven't been speaking to properly in weeks.

I was thinking recently that I should have asked a close male friend of mine to part of the bridal party. He's brilliant and a million percent reliable.
    I was also thinking, only half mind, of unasking the three of them and going without :D
    One of them I haven't been speaking to properly in weeks.

Do it. Seriously! You only get married (for the first time!) once and if you have a gut feeling now, follow it. Often, the wants of the couple get lost in the planning of a wedding to keep the peace or not hurt the feelings of others. Follow your instinct.

• Advertisement

Do it. Seriously! You only get married (for the first time!) once and if you have a gut feeling now, follow it. Often, the wants of the couple get lost in the planning of a wedding to keep the peace or not hurt the feelings of others. Follow your instinct.

My gut feeling is one I won't share here but I will say that I have a slight concern about how things will go. It's a while away yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You'll be surprised at who you won't miss at the wedding.
    I had a weird falling out with one of my closest friends at the time a few months before our wedding. I invited her and her partner to keep the peace in a larger circle of friends. I shouldn't have bothered. She turned up late, and was no addition on the day. I haven't seen her since another friend's wedding a few months later.

Advertisement