Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly prescription query

• 16-01-2021 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I get a large prescription (pay max of €114 to pharmacy). Even though it’s a 3 month prescription, pharmacy will only dispense monthly.
    Is it an option to obtain more than 1 month in order to travel abroad? (Paying €114 x how many months obviously).
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I've heard of a few patients doing this. That said, with numerous shortages of meds even before Brexit, some pharmacists might only dispense a month at time to ensure that there are enough medications for all patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It can be done if you’re travelling, depending on the types of medicines involved the pharmacist may wish to speak to your doctor before dispensing to ensure there’s no safety concerns

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be possible to do this under DPS as the limit is calender month based (except for once a year allowance for two 28 days landing in the same month); so you'd need to pay full price for the additional months rather than 3*114

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be possible to do this under DPS as the limit is calender month based (except for once a year allowance for two 28 days landing in the same month); so you'd need to pay full price for the additional months rather than 3*114

You can for travel, ask your pharmacist to contact the DPS if they are unsure but I have done it before.

Advertisement