Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decare Dental - Level 3 to Level 4

• 08-04-2021 5:23pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain this to me

Please refer to your Schedule of Benefits to determine if any waiting periods apply to your policy.
    If you upgrade your DeCare Dental policy from Healthy Smiles Level 1 or Level 2 cover to
    Healthy Smiles Level 3 or Level 4 cover, you will be entitled to a 3 month credit on the waiting
    period for your new policy.
    If you upgrade your DeCare Dental policy from Healthy Smiles Level 3 cover to Healthy Smiles
    Level 4 cover, you will be entitled to a 12 month credit on the waiting period for your new policy.
    Waiting periods shall be deemed to have commenced at the start of your new policy. For the
    avoidance of doubt, if there has been a break in coverage, the waiting period shall be deemed to
    have commenced at the start of this policy.

If I take out Smiles Level 3, and upgrade I get 12 months credit to my waiting time. The cover is quoted by year and month. If I take out Level 3 and upgrade after a month am I entitled to reduce my waiting periods by 12 months?

If not any recommendations for cover with minimum waiting periods? I suspect that I will need work done in the next 6-12 months

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Reading it again, I assume it means pay for Level 3 upfront and if you then upgrade to Level 4 the 12 months is waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

godtabh wrote: »
    Reading it again, I assume it means pay for Level 3 upfront and if you then upgrade to Level 4 the 12 months is waived.

Ya they are “crediting” you by reducing the wait times if you buy a more expensive package.

Godtabh, read their t&cs/amounts you can claim carefully and note wait times and exclusions. From my own experience, patients are always giving out about Decare, be aware that they can request your clinical records to be sent to them, many patients do not want a clerical worker looking at a chart which may have confidential medical information on it, if you don’t send it, they may refuse to pay.

You would be advised to visit a dentist, get a treatment plan and estimate, assess how urgent it is and whether you can wait until the wait period passes, consider whether Decare will approve payment for the treatment, and whether you are actually going to make a saving by having the insurance. You would not believe the number of people who are entitled to a free check up and low cost cleaning on their PRSI, who have dental insurance which costs more than they pay for treatment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’ve been to the dentist. He has advised i would need at least 1 if not 2 root canals/crowns (to be confirmed at the next visit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭the corpo

With Decare, when choosing plans, are they obliged to offer you their corporate plans, if you ask? Same as with traditional health insurance? Curious to see if there's much difference/benefit

Advertisement