Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using MDf for bird table?

Options
  • 27-04-2021 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Eze

Would MDF last as a bird table if well painted after making it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Trapeze wrote: »
    Would MDF last as a bird table if well painted after making it?

I wouldn't, you might be better off with a bit of marine plywood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

MDF if very well sealed might last a year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

High Density ,moisture resistant MDF is good if well painted and sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

kadman wrote: »
    High Density ,moisture resistant MDF is good if well painted and sealed.

High Density MDF , isn't that an oxymoron?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thanks for the grammar lesson.:)

Its this stuff

https://www.mcmahons.ie/2440-x-1220-x-18mm-moisture-resistant-mdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 WoodHacker

A piece of square fence posting and some wood from used pallets would be another alternative OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ha Ha. HDF is in fact hardboard. I used to glue the 2.8 mm sheets together to get 12 mm for veneered boxes. Now I can't even get the stuff. Its heavier than MDF and crisper to machine. Now I'll have to buy a full sheet of MRMDF.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It's heavier and more rigid ,I used it for 2mtr high wardrobe doors.
    It cuts and routes cleaner and takes paint better.
    That was a couple of years ago,
    is it not available anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Its good enough for Robin Clevett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIXOLD13Ho

basill wrote: »
    Its good enough for Robin Clevett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIXOLD13Ho

Well that's interesting. I never heard of Extreme Tricoya Medite. I can see it replacing wood for all kinds of outdoor projects. Where to find it in Ireland though. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 WoodHacker

Am I reading it wrong or is that Extreme Tricoya Medite close to three times the price of Marine Ply?

WoodHacker wrote: »
    Am I reading it wrong or is that Extreme Tricoya Medite close to three times the price of Marine Ply?

I got a quote from Noyeks for €120 ex vat for a 12 mm sheet. Delivery is extra.
    It's a niche product. I can't see many people needing it unless you make shop fronts or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

WoodHacker wrote: »

A 10'/5' sheet 15mm thick, €220 incl vat from Abbey Woods recently

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

A 10'/5' sheet 15mm thick, €220 incl vat from Abbey Woods recently

I heard talk of this from a window manufacturer a couple of years ago. It’s not possible to machine with ordinary tungsten tools is that correct

2018na wrote: »
    I heard talk of this from a window manufacturer a couple of years ago. It’s not possible to machine with ordinary tungsten tools is that correct

I very much doubt it. What else would you use.? There is an Accoya wood as well which seems to have taken over by the commercial door and window makers.

recipio wrote: »
    I very much doubt it. What else would you use.? There is an Accoya wood as well which seems to have taken over by the commercial door and window makers.

The commercial joiners have diamond tipped tooling now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you were using large amounts of it tungsten might struggle, but I think it's easier to work than MDF, the fibers in tricoya are bigger

If you were using large amounts of it tungsten might struggle, but I think it's easier to work than MDF, the fibers in tricoya are bigger

Right. Good to know that

Tungsten Carbide. Shortened to Carbide typically, but not Tungsten.

Just to avoid confusion speaking with others in some other context.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Tungsten Carbide. Shortened to Carbide typically, but not Tungsten.

Just to avoid confusion speaking with others in some other context.

When they say diamond blades is it man made diamond or just a name

• Advertisement

When they say diamond blades is it man made diamond or just a name

It’s nano-particles of synthetic diamonds. A kind of friction reduction coating to reduce heat and prolong service life of cutting edges.

https://www.sp3diamondtech.com/coating-services/

It’s nano-particles of synthetic diamonds. A kind of friction reduction coating to reduce heat and prolong service life of cutting edges.

https://www.sp3diamondtech.com/coating-services/

Are they only for use in stationary 3 phase machines or could they be got for chop saws or track saws and the like. Probably highly expensive anyway

Are they only for use in stationary 3 phase machines or could they be got for chop saws or track saws and the like. Probably highly expensive anyway

It's a very expensive process relatively speaking and I don't expect you'll find it in 7 1/2", 10" or 12" miter/table saw blades for anything approaching a trade/consumer price point. In any case, you'd want to be putting a mental amount of material through your machines to justify the cost.

I mean, this started out as a question about making a bird table from MDF, so how much scope is there to avail of the extended life offered by industrial tooling? ;)

It's a very expensive process relatively speaking and I don't expect you'll find it in 7 1/2", 10" or 12" miter/table saw blades for anything approaching a trade/consumer price point. In any case, you'd want to be putting a mental amount of material through your machines to justify the cost.

I mean, this started out as a question about making a bird table from MDF, so how much scope is there to avail of the extended life offered by industrial tooling? ;)

If saw blades and router bits stayed sharp for years I would pay good money for them. Similary chainsaw chain. A sharp chain is worth anything

The type of carpentry I do can vary from kitchens and wardrobes to complex roofs. That’s why I mentioned chains saws. Fire brigades sometimes have special chains that you can’t get in normal shops

The type of carpentry I do can vary from kitchens and wardrobes to complex roofs. That’s why I mentioned chains saws. Fire brigades sometimes have special chains that you can’t get in normal shops

Yeah, Stihl carbide. Fantastic stuff.

If you're earning off your tools, you should be buying good blades from day one anyway, surely?

Even as a hobbyist I have half a dozen very good CMT and Freud 'ice' coated blades for the tablesaw and miter saw and just accept it that they need to be sharpened or I'm burning wood and getting annoyed for no good reason.

If you're not doing it as a job, I'd still not waste my time with cheap blades and cutters. It's not worth the hassle and a good quality blade/cutter will always last longer between sharpenings.

For the router I'd give serious thought to cutters with replaceable carbide knives. Check out the range Sauter Shop have - fairly sensibly priced for the convenience and lifespan they'd offer.

Advertisement