Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As you think so you shall be? You are not your thoughts?

• 09-04-2021 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m new to these parts and I’m not sure if it’s the correct forum to post but I recently read a book by Richard Carlson.

In one of the earlier chapters of this book he said “As you think so you shall be”

But then in a later chapter he said “You are not your thoughts”

This is causing me some confusion. Is what he’s saying not contradictory?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Perhaps he means that it is how you interpret and deal with your thoughts that will determine what happens next. Accepting them as just thoughts, without getting involved in their story, then letting them go, will have a different outcome than if you mull over and analyse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

Rigsby wrote: »
    Perhaps he means that it is how you interpret and deal with your thoughts that will determine what happens next. Accepting them as just thoughts, without getting involved in their story, then letting them go, will have a different outcome than if you mull over and analyse them.

But if your not your thoughts, and by default not who you think you are, who are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Reminds me of an expression l have heard occasionally. “To be, you must be, before you be.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

Fathom wrote: »
    Welcome.

Thank you.
    May be figuratively parallel to the Thomas theorem, which suggests “If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.”

Interesting. Everything is only important as you decide it to be?
    Unsure. Does seem confusing. Wondering if he is differentiating between thoughts and actions?

Yeah I found it very confusing although, I think, I may be able to articulate what he means, well what I think he meant.

The book is "Stop thinking and start living" and it seems to be that the book could be mainly aimed at people who are going through or living with depression. His view is that it's your negative thoughts alone that are making you depressed as everything comes back to your thoughts and as humans we're predisposed to be negative. So initially he says that your thoughts aren't actually real and hold no validity. He then explains how to watch your thoughts which by default brings you into the present moment where from there you can decide to choose better, more uplifting and positive thoughts which will then in turn lead you out of your depression.

It seems to be that he tries to, 1- disarm or dissociate you from your current (negative) thoughts (You are not your thoughts) 2 - tell you to monitor your thoughts which brings you into the present moment 3- where you can then decide to choose better thoughts which will make you and / or your life better. Which brings you back to you are your thoughts.

The only problem I have even with this is, how can you decide you are your thoughts one minute but then not your thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Danye wrote: »
    The only problem I have even with this is, how can you decide you are your thoughts one minute but then not your thoughts??

Yes, what you described about the book does seem confusing.

My interpretation from what I have read on the subject is that we are not our thoughts and when they arise, be they good bad or ugly, we should treat them equally in a neutral manner by simply acknowledging that they are present and then, without getting involved in their message, let them go.

Deciding to "choose better, more uplifting and positive thoughts" as described in the book, in my humble opinion implies attachment and striving for a goal, which in turn implies the future, which obviously has no part of being "in the now".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Danye wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m new to these parts and I’m not sure if it’s the correct forum to post but I recently read a book by Richard Carlson.

In one of the earlier chapters of this book he said “As you think so you shall be”

But then in a later chapter he said “You are not your thoughts”

This is causing me some confusion. Is what he’s saying not contradictory?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the author but these two ideas seem to echo the teachings of Buddhism.

It sounds like the idea 'we become what we think'. So, if we are continuously thinking about how we can never succeed at anything, then we will probably end up giving up on endeavours before we achieve success, thus becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The latter, 'you are not your thoughts' sounds like the idea in Buddhist philosophy of attachment to 'the Self'. Basically, we believe that the 'voice' in our head is who we are. This voice that tells us we will never succeed (in some cases it might tell us that we will definitely succeed). But this voice and all its thoughts are not who we truly are. That voice/those thoughts are just a result of our conditioning. The idea, as some have mentioned already, is to become aware of our attachment to these thoughts and notice how we don't actually control them. We can't stop them. It's not really 'I' who is doing the thinking, the thoughts just arise and fall away incessantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭prosaic

In the Dharmapada, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhammapada, "twin verses", it talks about how thoughts form our reality. We can use mindfulness and awareness to adopt thought patterns that are helpful and let go of thought patterns that are not helpful.

Ultimately the aim is to go beyond thoughts and concepts. This is the true "being in the moment". Counterintuitively, if one achieves this level, it is still possible to think and act while still maintaining the full realization of the unreality of thoughts and concepts. In that state there is no attachment or aversion to anything whatsoever, no separation of self and other. Reality is experienced as it is. It's flavour is described as being wisdom and love.

A far cry from my own state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Reminds me of Alan Watts this discussion...

There was a young man who said though, it seems that I know that I know, but what I would like to see is the I that knows me when I know that I know that I know.

Love that quote.

I love the thought of being able to look at yourself that way though. I can, with reflection, know what my influences are when I make a decision. That's the "I that knows me when I know that I know".

Going above that again and trying to find the core you, the "better" you...the "I that knows me when I know that I know that I know". That drive for improving oneself....I love that it's all futile and there is no better self...just you, no other version.

Haven't read any of his work. Will do now though so thank you for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement