Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-08-2009, 23:31   #16
Doctor DooM

Ok... something a bit darker and perhaps more obviously Nocturnal.

Transformers: The Dark Ages Volume 2.

Ok, so it might not be immediately obvious, but Transformers has had plenty of dark and magical moments. This particular trade paper back has them in spades.

It's also pretty relevant right now as it features the first appearance of none other than the Fallen.

Steeped in the mythology of Transformers, The Dark Ages tells the tale of the Cybertronian populace trying to survive without the guiding force of either Megatron or Optimus.

At this particularly weak point, the Fallen, a mythical being and avatar of the Transformers ultimate evil, returns to destroy the literal soul of Cybertron. Tempting some of the Decepticons by offering them evil magics beyond their ken, the shattered armies of Primus have to band together in order to halt the Fallen.

Reuniting legendary Transformers creators Simon Furman and Andy Wildman, the Dark Ages is one of the darker of the recent Transformers works (another being the extremely violent Megatron: Origins).
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-08-2009, 00:08   #17

Currently I've started reading Lucifer. It's a spin-off from Sandman, and so far it's exceptional.

Oh, and for fans of Hellboy & BPRD, this is just chock full of win:

06-08-2009, 00:11   #18
Doctor DooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post

Currently I've started reading Lucifer. It's a spin-off from Sandman, and so far it's exceptional.

Oh, and for fans of Hellboy & BPRD, this is just chock full of win:

The little I've read of Lucifer was top quality stuff.
06-08-2009, 00:53   #19

has anyone read past the first three sections of annihilation don't want to continue if there going to ruin it for me.

other than that i'm just catching up on the main marvel universe storyline
06-08-2009, 08:49   #20
Crumble Froo

the only comic (strip) ill ever need.

Advertisement
06-08-2009, 09:25   #21
Delirium
cosmic voice

Send a message via MSN to Delirium Send a message via Skype™ to Delirium
The lucifier series is great stuff.

The Books of Magic series is also another good read, at least from what I've read of it so far.

Quote:
Taken from Wikipedia.

The Books of Magic is the title of a four-issue English-language comic book mini-series written by Neil Gaiman, and later an ongoing series, published by the DC Comics imprint Vertigo. Since its original publication, the mini-series has also been published in a single-volume collection with an introduction by author Roger Zelazny. It tells the story of a young boy who has the potential to become the world's greatest magician.
Thanks from:
06-08-2009, 22:50   #22

Squee etc

Quantz
07-08-2009, 13:06   #23
Galvasean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor DooM View Post
Reuniting legendary Transformers creators Simon Furman and Andy Wildman, the Dark Ages is one of the darker of the recent Transformers works (another being the extremely violent Megatron: Origins).
The Dark Ages is mixed for me. It was a good read at the time, but with DreamWave going bankrupt there is far too much left unanswered (why is Blitzwing so bloody special?!?!?!).
That said I really liked how they gave characterization to Trypticon (a massive Decepticon WMD).

Megatron Origins was great. It has to be the most violent Transformers story since Generation 2.
It was interesting to see Megatron being portrayed in a sympathetic light (think Gladiator, but with robots). Plus we get to see how he originally met many of the more familiar characters (Soundwave is a shady arms dealer, Starscream becomes his personal bodyguard Spoiler: there is a genius bit where it looks like Starscream has sold out Megatron, only to turn on those he was supposed to be selling him out to - classic Starscream but with a twist.
There are some nice cameos too. You see 'Optimus' at one point before he became a Prime. Sunstreaker can be seen in the arena. And even Clench (a obscure Generation2 character) who starts out as Megatron's mentor.
Also, the mystery of what is under Megs' helmet (which is actually a souvenir from his daysworking in the mines) is finally revealed:
08-08-2009, 01:51   #24

started drawing alot of charecters actually

opinions would be nice (in the form of thumbs up, no need to reply)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00029.jpg (1.16 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00046.jpg (1.29 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00044.jpg (1.33 MB, 38 views)

Last edited by lankysexybeast; 08-08-2009 at 02:06.
Advertisement
08-08-2009, 16:31   #25
cyberwolf77

Send a message via Skype™ to cyberwolf77
I've actually quite enjoyed the Fables series by Bill Willingham. The spin-off jack series is quite nice too. Both series look at what beloved fairy-tale characters would be like if you stripped away all the sweetness and light then dropped them in our world where they cannot reveal their true nature. Also The Big Bad Wolf finally gets to be a hero.
08-08-2009, 17:03   #26
Doctor DooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankysexybeast View Post
started drawing alot of charecters actually

opinions would be nice (in the form of thumbs up, no need to reply)
Hey Lanky,

Why don't you repost those images here and I'll do a critical dissection of them.
08-08-2009, 20:54   #27
Lone Stone

world war hulk I would have to recommend if any one hasn't read the entire series yet. Probably one of the best things i have ever read !!!!!!
08-08-2009, 20:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Stone View Post
world war hulk I would have to recommend if any one hasn't read the entire series yet. Probably one of the best things i have ever read !!!!!!
I felt like I was getting my own ass kicked by The Hulk reading that.
08-08-2009, 22:54   #29
Doctor DooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Stone View Post
WWH is great but Planet Hulk is teh bomb. Stories so tight, space opera, all good.
08-08-2009, 23:12   #30
Delirium
cosmic voice

Send a message via MSN to Delirium Send a message via Skype™ to Delirium
Haven't read world war but have read planet hulk. Really enjoyed it. One of the better comics I've read recently,

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion