Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to tell your parents you're gay

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Congrats, and fair fvcks to you (oi! leeeeeave it!) :)

I'm honestly impressed by the courage that some gay people I know display, it takes a moral backbone to stand up and say "this is what I am and I'm happy about that".

I dont think that makes people who DONT want to tell their relatives or friends that they are gay, cowards. Some people feel a really strong need to tell others something like that. For other people they want to keep it personal and dont see it as anyone elses business.

*evil grin*
    So now that you are out to your parents, why not post under you're real account!

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

btw, obviously I'm just being an evil cnnt :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

That was me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Good work fella,

I remember when my brother finally worked up the courage to tell us all he was gay. We were all like "Thank God for that!"- he went from moody stress-head to his old self in the space of 20 minutes. Our only regret was that he hadn't felt comfortable enough to tell us all sooner.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

True story:

Me: Mum, there's something I have to tell you.

Mum (misinterpretting tone in voice): OMG! You've gotten someone pregnant!

Me: No, I'm bisexual.

Mum: And you haven't gotten anyone pregnant?

Me: No. (This was particularly unlikely at the time, for reasons that can probably be guessed).

Mum: Thank ****!

About 3 days later she got over the shock of thinking I'd gotten someone pregnant and became breifly concerned about the whole coming-out thing, but it had had some time to sink in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alanbrett

Parents Support, a peer support network for parents who've discovered a child is gay have produced a really good booklet for parents... they also provide one-to-one telephone support
    I wish I'd known about them when I came out first...

Details from any gayswitchboard

Some parents (mine included) take a long time to get used to it, and it's been compared to 'grieving' in the worst cases...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Good one alan, I'll make a Gay Resources sticky and add that to it.

Advertisement