Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Health Psychology

Options
  • 09-01-2010 11:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently finishing off my degree in Software Engineering in Athlone. I quite enjoy the subject material and prospects of working in the industry, but over recent year or two I have changed what I'd like to do with my life.

I've strongly considered continuing on NUIG doing a Post Dip. in Psychology (2 year Conversion course) and Masters in Health Psychology taking 3 years in total. What is the opinion of people in the area of Psychology in obtaining such a qualification. I ask because I'm interested in pursuing this course and one day working in a hospital.

Is there anyone with such a qualification that could advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not sure that this field is particularly well-established in this country. It might be worthwhile contacting someone who works in the area. Also, accreditation of courses is important. Not sure if the NUIG is accredited, but this list mightn't be completely up-to-date. If it's not accredited you might have to look at going to the UK. You could try to contact the health division of the PSI, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

I'm doing a Health Psychology MSc in the UK at the moment and it is a very interesting course. However, as with every area in Psychology, the path towards working as a Health Psychologist in a hospital environment is long and full of obstacles.

Firstly, as was mentioned earlier, HP isn't really established in Ireland and HP jobs in Ireland are virtually non-existent. Your only hope would be to slot into a a job in healthcare managment maybe? I'm not too sure though.

In terms of the training involved in becoming a practicing HP in the UK it is necessary to do stage one which is a MSc in HP and then do stage 2 training which involves a minimum of two years completing various modules on research and teaching and gaining clinical experience. Unfortunately it's not as straight forward as this in reality as most people can only complete this training in conjunction with a PhD due to issues of funding, finding the experience and most importantly finding a health psychologist who is willing to supervise your training. My impression so far is that the system is very messy and the best way to go about getting the necessary training is to do a PhD, gain connections and find someone to supervise you that way.

I should also mention that there are one or two colleges (at least in London) where you can just pay (think around 4,000/year) to have a supervisor.

Sorry if that all sounds very negative!The reality is that most people who do the MSc in HP go on to work in research. Should also say that it is a very interesting area and if you are really determined and were willing to live in the UK for the foreseeable future you should go for it.

Hope that helps and doesn't put you off completely!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thank you both for the information! It's a great help in assisting me with my decision at this time! I will persue a Msc in HP eventually, this helps with the planning. Thanks again!

Advertisement