Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

soild fuel stove advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

good job gabe.

tis difficult enough to do, I know. More awkward than anything else. Trying to get your arms up a chimney and pushing things. Then trying to work out measurements to the stove outlet.

Bet you where glad to get it finished:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I must say, I don't find the heat off the Oisin too amazing. It's good, and it is more fuel efficient (i.e. we're burning less briquettes), but as for having to open doors to let heat out and all that - not happening for me. I throw in 5 briquettes and a fire lighter and let it off. Open up the spigot fully. It is a 28x11 room though...
    Finally, have Oisin running for first time this evening and my initial reaction is same as yourself gabbo. Have had spigot open fully and I'm not exactly toasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Finally, have Oisin running for first time this evening and my initial reaction is same as yourself gabbo. Have had spigot open fully and I'm not exactly toasted.

The father's Tara is even harder work though. Because it's a larger stove, seem to need a load of briquettes or wood to get it hopping. And...it's a cast iron around an inner cast iron (unlike the Oisin, which is all kind of one unit) so the outside of it gets nowhere near as hot as the Oisin. I suppose that's kind of psychologicial though - there still is heat coming off it.

When it is roaring, the Tara is good, but for a couple of briquettes burning the Oisin is way better.

So while the Oisin ain't a replacement for the nuclear reaction on the sun - it's a lot more efficient that a bigger stove.

I think the one thing I've learned from all this stove business is the value of the pipe. It gets bleedin roasting, and if it's going up your chimney with no reducer, it's a waste. My stove with the bit of rockwell wrapped aroudn the pipe just doesn't cut it. Need to trap that heat in the room as it comes off the pipe.

Finally finished off the ceiling on the space for the Tara. Length of fire slabbed plaster board and two layers of rockwool on top. Let about an inch around the pipe and the plasterboard to prevent the plasterboard cracking from the heat.

Also, I put a CO2 alarm beside the two fires. It's 40 euro, but peace of mind.

I gave it another try this evening and it seemed to be much better so not sure what the deal was. Set my smoke alarm off in the hall which got me para that I hadn't got it sealed correctly but no sign of smoke in the room. Think (hope) its just a bit of fumes off the new stove and maybe the sealant?
    I think the one thing I've learned from all this stove business is the value of the pipe. It gets bleedin roasting, and if it's going up your chimney with no reducer, it's a waste. My stove with the bit of rockwell wrapped aroudn the pipe just doesn't cut it. Need to trap that heat in the room as it comes off the pipe.
    Agree totally. Not sure what else can be done - have rockwool wrapped around pipe/filling the chimney gather void above fireboard. Was wondering if this would help...although for it to work, it says it needs cool air from behind the stove. With the heat from the pipe, don't know if thats the case. Anyone got an Ecofan and how effective is it?
    02112008153dg6.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

Finally got around to fitting my Oisin stove on Saturday, not an overly difficult job but that fire cement is messy enough and goes off quite quickly! The drama was added to by my two year old who insisted on asking daddy for this and that while I had my head stuck up the chimney trying to seal the reducer! Anyway I have to say I'm very, very impressed with the finished job. I just burnt some softwood and ply scraps left over from another building project and I was very pleasantly surprised with the amount of heat given off. The room is small (5.5m x 3.5m), granted but even still it has to be said this is the only way to go! The stove seemed to produce very little ash too.

My only (minor) gripe with the stove is that some small bit of the stove paint flaked off during use (might have been damaged by me during handling, can't be sure), is it possible to get a touch up paint to treat this? Is there a polish/ treatment to keep the matt finish looking good?

• Advertisement

Finally got around to fitting my Oisin stove on Saturday, not an overly difficult job but that fire cement is messy enough and goes off quite quickly! The drama was added to by my two year old who insisted on asking daddy for this and that while I had my head stuck up the chimney trying to seal the reducer! Anyway I have to say I'm very, very impressed with the finished job. I just burnt some softwood and ply scraps left over from another building project and I was very pleasantly surprised with the amount of heat given off. The room is small (5.5m x 3.5m), granted but even still it has to be said this is the only way to go! The stove seemed to produce very little ash too.

My only (minor) gripe with the stove is that some small bit of the stove paint flaked off during use (might have been damaged by me during handling, can't be sure), is it possible to get a touch up paint to treat this? Is there a polish/ treatment to keep the matt finish looking good?

stove paint can be got at you providers . High temp paint can be found in Halfords also.

Cheers, will try them so.

Have ordered that Ecofan online from the 'states. I'm a sucker for gadgets!

Will post back with feedback on how effective it proves to be in due course..

Have been using the Ecofan over the last two weeks and even though I cannot place it right at the back of stove (as recommended for maximum effect), it does seem to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Here's a photo showing our Hercules 30B in place.. I have the flue already and hope to get it going this weekend..

img4564mm7.th.jpgthpix.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

That’s a big stove yet doesn’t look out of place in this room
    30x15 I would say
    Looks good already how have you tied it into your heating system

copper12 wrote: »
    30x15 I would say

Right on the money there...its a 30x15 living-dining area, kitchen is seperate..

We have a triple coil SS 300l tank...
    Condensing boiler is split on 2 zones, up/down but the stove isn't zoned and by-passes the zoning valves..

Looking forward to lighting her up soon...

SLan.

thats a cracking stove. the size of it!! thats going to be one toasty room.

looks great.

Thanks for the comments folks... we're on track to move in mid January. There is 100,000BTU boiler so hopefully not only the room will be cosy ;)..
    I have access to a good deal of free timber on the farm and plan to plant popular & willow to harvest in the future... fingers crossed we'll be cutting our current heating costs to 30% in the new house. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

timber is great when its free!!
    One thing i will say about having a stove , its a good idea to burn a couple of buckets of cosyglo or ecobrite every once in a while , it helps clean out the crud that gets left by burning wood/turf.

bbam wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments folks... we're on track to move in mid January. There is 100,000BTU boiler so hopefully not only the room will be cosy ;)..
    I have access to a good deal of free timber on the farm and plan to plant popular & willow to harvest in the future... fingers crossed we'll be cutting our current heating costs to 30% in the new house. :D

I cut down a tree 2 weeks ago. but the wood so wet I doubt I will be able to burn it this winter. Conifer tree. The timber is split and stored. Next winter is paid for. Bloody hard word spliting logs all day.

I found Slack to be the best fuel in my stove. 2 scoops . close the door and turn down the air . All day heat.
    12 euro for 40kg in kilcock.

HI..
    gsxr1, Ask about a product called "Back Boiler Beans". Great for stove or back boiler (probably obvious from name), chips of coal about the size of a thumb-nail. We had a solid fuel distribution business for years and this was great... My mum uses it in her stove and the heat would meet you at the gate :D

Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi BBam
    Looking at getting the Hercules 30B myself, do you mind telling us how much it was and where you got it?
    cheers
    joe

that’s the thing about cutting and splitting your own wood it heats you up twice
    once when splitting and again when burning

sentenel wrote: »
    Hi BBam
    Looking at getting the Hercules 30B myself, do you mind telling us how much it was and where you got it?
    cheers
    joe

I'll PM you the company if you want , just across the border, bought 2 stoves delivered for €1800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi bbam
    Thanks for the information I'll check it out
    cheers
    joe

I was given a prise in cork and tralee last year for 3000 euro for a 30B what a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

bbam wrote: »
    HI..
    gsxr1, Ask about a product called "Back Boiler Beans". Great for stove or back boiler (probably obvious from name), chips of coal about the size of a thumb-nail. We had a solid fuel distribution business for years and this was great... My mum uses it in her stove and the heat would meet you at the gate :D

Slan.

Be careful with the Oisin. My back plate fire brick is vertically cracked in two *already*, and all I burn is peat briquettes - no coal. I'd say if I burnt coal the stove would explode!

Going to get on to Waterford Stanley - what a gip...I assume they'll send out a new one.

Be careful with the Oisin. My back plate fire brick is vertically cracked in two *already*, and all I burn is peat briquettes - no coal. I'd say if I burnt coal the stove would explode!

Going to get on to Waterford Stanley - what a gip...I assume they'll send out a new one.

Are you sure it was not defective.

the manual recommends anthracite coal. which burns so hot it can not be used in open fires.

For instant heat I use timber. For 24hr warmth . Ye can beat coal.

I got 2 bags of ECO_LITE coal on friday. It burns really hot. 9 euro a bag(20kg. Still cant beat slack for value for money though.

Just had my stove on full to clean it.

was going flat out with slack for 20 min.

Is it normal for the flu pipe at the back to glow red with a full blast burn??

This is how the stove looks in my sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Looks lovely.

looks great. But ya wanna finish that cup of tea before it gets cold;)

Cheers! I just stick my cup up on the hotplate if it gets cool!

• Advertisement

Looks brilliant really looks the piece
    Nice bit of timber as well how long would these baskets last an evening or more

Advertisement