Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow risk Tuesday night in to Wednesday in the midlands and possibly the east

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

snaps wrote: »
    Nothing mentioned or shown on the countryfile weather forecast on BBC just now. Showing the battle between mild and cold air. You can guess where the mild air is!
    Battleground over Wales.
    Fingers croosed for Oarrack and others that the battleground moves west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Battleground over Wales.

Very much over Ireland ;) Probably still working off 00z models because the latest suggest it's further west as on the ECM for example.

130113_1200_66.png

130113_1200_66.png

There is a growing risk for Tuesday no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nothing mentioned or shown on the countryfile weather forecast on BBC just now. Showing the battle between mild and cold air. You can guess where the mild air is!
    Battleground over Wales.

It showed the cold air pushing the mild air well west past Ireland on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Countryfile forecast had us on the mild side all week but it's very marginal and any forecast beyond 24hrs is going to change a lot with each set of models.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

I don't think this is a certainty, maybe a 10% chance and probably will happen over the UK.
    I was surprised to see this thread! This subject should really be in the Ramping thread!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Anyone got a link to Countryfile forecast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I wouldn't take much notice of bbc forecasts, they concentrate on UK and tend to be wrong when predicting for republic of Ireland. Even in November / December 2010, they consistently had east of Ireland missing out on snow and we ended up getting more than a lot of the UK, up to 30 -35 cm of snow in parts of the east, not to mention the huge amounts in Wicklow mountains, it was like an alpine ski resort up there! In fact i think there was lying snow for nearly four weeks. Naturally BBC focus is on UK, it is best not to go by their forecasts from what I have seen before.

Either way, the next 24 hours will tell us a lot. This potential event on Tuesday night / Wednesday is a tough one to call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Saganist wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to Countryfile forecast ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056854189

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Try accuweather.com, and put in your area. Quite accurate, for forcaster's.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

how long cold snap lasting i hate snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

UK fax chart for Wednesday at 12 UTC. 528 dam line over Wales. Not looking good!

PPVK89.png

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I have to say I don't see the snow myself. Maybe dusting at best.

starskey77 wrote: »
    how long cold snap lasting i hate snow

6-8 weeks. Possibly could moderate around 3 weeks time for 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    6-8 weeks. Possibly could moderate around 3 weeks time for 4 or 5 days.

1947, started last week in January and lasted two months approx.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the models and forecasts i can't see this happening unless things change in the next 24 hrs or so. We all hope for some action this week but i won't be holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sorry folks , i have to agree with others here , but on CURRENT charts , this event will not happen , only above 350 m...

yours sincerely ... a fellow Snow lover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This thread's an obvious darkman thread, complete with yellow warning triangle and all. He's made it back in somehow!

The charts posted as evidence don't back up the claims. Hard to see how it can be classed as anything more than purely a wishcast that the models will push the cold back westwards, but on the evidence shown it cannot be anything more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I never gave an opinion on tuesday or wenesday,I actually thought I'd added a question mark to my last post.
    I do think somethings up though and there is potential for some areas to see potentially a lot of snow this week whilst others have rain.

The likes of this thread is meant to be a bit of fun as much as anything.
    The antagonisers posting should really get a life or just relax,there's no need to be aiming fire at the op,making an effort at his hobby :mad:

cue roll eye smiley's and more antagonism now I s'pose,quit it folks,no ones listening to that only yourselves,the rest of us are here to enjoy the ride :)
    Life and death isn't happening because there's a few threads in the weather forum.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    UK fax chart for Wednesday at 12 UTC. 528 dam line over Wales. Not looking good!

Nothing wrong with that. It's fine. We don't need sub 528 DAM for snow in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Sorry folks , i have to agree with others here , but on CURRENTS charts , this event will not happen , only above 350 m...

yours sincerely ... a fellow Snow lover.

Great I seem to be at 650m here in West Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

But the charts cant be trusted. We've seen the changes between runs over the past few days.
    The weather does not follow the models, the models merely attempts to predict the weather.
    Believe;)

LOL, highest house in Ireland?

whitebriar wrote: »
    I never gave an opinion on tuesday or wenesday,I actually thought I'd added a question mark to my last post.
    I do think somethings up though and there is potential for some areas to see potentially a lot of snow this week whilst others have rain.

The antagonisers posting should really get a life or just relax,there's no need to be aiming fire at the op,making an effort at his hobby :mad:

cue roll eye smiley's and more antagonism now I s'pose,quit it folks,no ones listening to that only yourselves,the rest of us are here to enjoy the ride :)
    Life and death isn't happening because there's a few threads in the weather forum.

I don't mind. Water off a ducks back. Wait till Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and we will see who is right and wrong;) Quite confident I have to say and the 3 main models back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

236205.png

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Distinct lack of moderation around here today, and I'm not talking about the sort carried out by mods

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dont see massive volumes of snow fall from this either, we will propably end up in a situation similiar to today with wet snow and sleet turning to rain with proper snow reserved for the mountains. Different story for the Uk tho they will propably get buried in over a foot of snow over the coming week. Quite a bit needs to change before we are confident of seeing proper snow here.

I think posters are misreading this thread. I never said "massive" amounts of snow. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I think posters are misreading this thread. I never said "massive" amounts of snow. :confused:

:cool:
    Here we are talking about significant disruptive frontal snow fall for a good portion of the country - something not seen in very many years - so it's not nailed yet but certainly potential is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

I think people are right to point out that the thread title was (and is still a bit) alarmist, and that there is not a serious risk of a heavy snow event. Many people who read this forum, especially at this time of year, cannot interpret the charts, and may take the OP's post as gospel, and may warn others about an event that isn't going to happen.

Nothing wrong with that. It's fine. We don't need sub 528 DAM for snow in this situation.

In a maritime air flow as this will be, we need 528 and lower. The 528 line will at best be somewhere over Wales, maybe even further east. ( doesn't rule out front edge snow though, but for lying, persistent snow 528 will be needed)

The title originally read ''Heavy snow Tuesday night in to Wednesday''. Heavy snow to most people implies a lot of snow. How did you intend it to be interpreted?

• Advertisement

So a thread is started warning of a risk of heavy snow. He made the forecast based on an opinion, doesnt back it up with why he think it will happen, just post charts but doesnt explain how this will cause the precip to fall as snow.

Now you're saying nobody can challenge that opinion? Even though I have posted charts and explained why I think these show that this will be a non event. But sure lets all be nice and agree, no matter what the charts say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement