Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

• 16-12-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

All media forecast discussion, general model output discussion and questions in here please.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Ok I'll get it going - M2 Buoy has not updated since one o'clock today - any ideas why or does it do this from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

I hope I'm in the right place. I noticed that big bank of cloud heading our direction form the nnw. Am I right in saying the wind is blowing ssw for it to reach Ireland? And if so is there a potential for the wind to change and for this to miss us altogether?

Obviously I realise that nothing is 100% at this stage but going on previous experience is there a chance this might happen?

I'm new to all this so forgive my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Here comes the cold front into Northern Scotland on latest radar!

http://yfrog.com/g4coldfrontp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Ok I'll get it going - M2 Buoy has not updated since one o'clock today - any ideas why or does it do this from time to time.

is the m4 reporting? It will be the first sign of the front approaching. . .can't check i'm on mobile. . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

is the m4 reporting? It will be the first sign of the front approaching. . .can't check i'm on mobile. . :(

Yes, at 11pm

Temp 10.5
    DP 7.0

Tropical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

yep it is

M4
    62093 16 Dec
    0:00 1031.0 270 24 10.3 7.0 80 n/a -9.9 10.3

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Cionád wrote: »
    Yes, at 11pm

Temp 10.5
    DP 7.0

Tropical

wonder when it'll hit those dizzy heights again after tomorrow?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

M4 at 2300: Temp 10.5. Dewpoint 7.0. It's in for a hell of a shock come tomorrow.........!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone just see the late forecast?

I think I'm in love with Evelyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone just see the late forecast?

I think I'm in love with Evelyn.

Did she say anything different to the one at 9.30?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Thanks for that report guys. . Reckon air temps over sea could fall below 0?! :P brrr. . . :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

leahyl wrote: »

Nope

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

leahyl wrote: »

Debateable :D She certainly rowed back from the "possible warmer spell before christmas" that got a mention earlier, so I'm assuming their latest models have scotched that idea.

Words like significant, disruption, SNOW, accumulations, cold, and the like were a lot more in evidence than they have been even earlier in the day. While not quite hitting the panic button yet, there is certainly a clear indication of unpleasant weather in the mix for the next 5 days.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

She was quite clear that it looked "likely to remain cold right up until Christmas".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I really hate posting these charts, but just felt I had too. Saturday Morning....

10121806_2_1518.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

@force eleven - is that real? Any for Friday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

@force eleven - is that real? Any for Friday night?

Yes, its Weatheronlines GFS interpretation. They really should be taken with a pinch of salt, but they sure look nice, and they give at least an idea of whats coming, early Saturday onwards.;)

I think the wrap around force will be Southern Ireland - (Dublin included) - The Midlands up to NE England and South Scotland.
    Heaviest precip in these parts on Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The models are really showing some excellent potential for Friday night almost nationwide. On an imby note I feel that Louth could miss out by a squeak. Just as well I'm living in Dublin these days! Now I think GFS has gone a little crazy with the LP development. I am struggling to see how explosive cyclogenesis is going to take place, especially with a track that crosses through much of Ireland, then Wales and England. But certainly, a heavy fall (perhaps 6-8 inches in parts of Leinster) is being suggested by the models, with the added problem of stronger winds in more southern counties. Inland parts of Co. Cork could see classic blizzard conditions for a while, though snowfall may be short and sweet further south.

Now here's the part where I pee on the parade: I don't see much model support for continued heavy precipitation over Sunday and Monday over almost any part of Ireland! The positioning of this LP clearly isn't nailed as it only cropped up over this afternoon but it suggests only slack northerly winds over Ireland once the system passes over Ireland on Saturday morning.

The UKMO forecast has a more plausible progression, with more sensible precipitation and pressure charts. It also keeps the threat of snow showers for at least Leinster and northern Donegal over more of Saturday. Even with that, I fear MT Cranium's snow predictions will be somewhat overdone except in Ulster and parts of the western seaboard.

EDIT: The ECMWF and GME are also frankly crazy for Friday night and is much more supportive for snowy conditions over Sunday and Monday. All hope is not lost yet. For basic pressure charts, the ECM and UKMO have a bit of an edge in my opinion, so perhaps I should have more faith:D

And I find it interesting that the ECM's progression after Sunday differs quite differently from the GFS and UKMO models. What to make of it all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

since the lp only popped up this afternoon,you can't rule out further shallow lows developing, or troughs crossing Ireland during the weekend. i think therefore it's plausible that some places in Ireland may see snow beyond Saturday. also there could be a significant snowfall from a breakdown attempt as we go in to the early days of next week.

Showing perfectly on radar as the cold front pushes South.
    Backedge snow already in Scotland.

http://yfrog.com/2gcoldfront1p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, potential is there for next week. Just what that will be is very much up for discussion with model disagreement rampant. I'm happy to see that the ECMWF is better for snowy stuff for the first half of next week, as the GFS always likes to toy around with an Atlantic breakdown and I'm not so sure it's realistic.

My main thoughts behind Sunday are that there isn't much organised ppn forecast. Winds are also predicted to be reasonably slack over Sunday.

This is our cold front on doorstep!

http://yfrog.com/g0polar1p

See those showers packing in behind it - All snow!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=54&code=0&mode=2

Showing a snow risk over Ireland constantly through to Tuesday (Mardi) - specifically on the east coast. Dunno how reliable that is though.

The cold front is touchin on N Ire door.

http://yfrog.com/giv1111111111p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Forecast time. Just a few quick thoughts.

The models all staying on their somewhat separate tracks, it would seem. I will have to blend and develop by intuition a little bit, however, have decided to keep the general themes from yesterday's update.

The front is going to sweep in very quickly now, but I've just spotted what looks like a weak polar low in the northwest flow around 59N 15W heading straight for northwest Ireland. This may arrive this evening at the pace of the jet stream (100 knot winds at 500 mb south of Iceland).

Winds at the Faeroes are exceptionally strong, just checked 06z and they were gusting above 70 knots on hilltops there.

I suspect that as dramatic as the models may look now, they could be struggling with the sheer power of this regime change, and that developments over the weekend may ramp up rather than down. With the PV apparently set to sweep southwest across Ireland, and exceptionally cold uppers in place, it makes sense to be on the alert for greater development of meso-scale features; the models have a deceptive look of sudden calm and weak wind fields that may prove misleading to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

RTE Radio one froecast 8am.....snow may accumulate on the ground......have no idea where else it could accumulate !

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Forgive the ignorance, but does "meso-scale" mean a serious winter event?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Forgive the ignorance, but does "meso-scale" mean a serious winter event?

Thank you.

Wikipedia!

Mesoscale meteorology is the study of weather systems smaller than synoptic scale systems but larger than microscale and storm-scale cumulus systems. Horizontal dimensions generally range from around 5 kilometers to several hundred kilometers. Examples of mesoscale weather systems are sea breezes, squall lines, and mesoscale convective complexes.
    Vertical velocity often equals or exceeds horizontal velocities in mesoscale meteorological systems due to nonhydrostatic processes such as buoyant acceleration of a rising thermal or acceleration through a narrow mountain pass.

Advertisement