Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2010, 20:06   #1
carlmwan

Unusual September chill possible?

ok i saw a post on a site that the uk is looking like it will get a unusually early cold spell during the second half of September..do yous think we will get a bit of it? here is tha link http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/
Advertisement
11-09-2010, 20:12   #2

Yeah would't surpirse me in the least
11-09-2010, 20:14   #3

Funny that, I've just been looking at the GFS and it does have a hint of a cold Arctic outbreak. It all starts this week when a cold pool currently west of Greenland enters the Atlantic and moves eastwards, bringing rain and strong winds Monday night/Tuesday, and setting itself up as a stationary vortex before moving east slightly, allowing the chance of a northerly outbreak on its western flank next weekend.

What was in the back of my mind, and the actual reason I was looking, was that Ken Ring did mention months ago a "chance of snow in some parts around the 3rd week of September"......so could he be onto something??!! I can't see there being snow, but it could well be a chilly end to the month.
11-09-2010, 20:27   #4
delw

bring back owenc,imagine the rant we'd got over this,snow drifts etc..
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2010, 20:37   #5
jambofc

doesn't really look like being anywhere near cold enough for snow but i do stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable people on the forum.
Advertisement
11-09-2010, 20:45   #6
skipz

By the looks of the chart id say the scottish highlands may be snowed on
11-09-2010, 21:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipz View Post
By the looks of the chart id say the scottish highlands may be snowed on
Maybe! but at the same time, it does not look like anything out of the ordinary for early autumn. September can, and normally does, bring the first real chill of the season.

October and November though are the real autumn month's in my opinion. That is when the Atlantic really starts to shape itself up!

Hopefully it will this year.
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2010, 22:01   #8
maquiladora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Easterly View Post
Maybe! but at the same time, it does not look like anything out of the ordinary for early autumn. September can, and normally does, bring the first real chill of the season.

October and November though are the real autumn month's in my opinion. That is when the Atlantic really starts to shape itself up!

Hopefully it will this year.
Its been too long since I experienced a good windstorm! That reminds me DE, I think you mentioned on another thread you had a book on the night of the big wind. Did you get that in a local bookshop or online somewhere?
11-09-2010, 22:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su Campu View Post
What was in the back of my mind, and the actual reason I was looking, was that Ken Ring did mention months ago a "chance of snow in some parts around the 3rd week of September"......so could he be onto something??!! I can't see there being snow, but it could well be a chilly end to the month.

He actually siad precipitation and sub zero temperatures which MAY lead to snow/sleet/hail/cold rain . . .
Advertisement
11-09-2010, 22:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonynator View Post
He actually siad precipitation and sub zero temperatures which MAY lead to snow/sleet/hail/cold rain . . .
Well the precipitation bit goes without saying but the sub-zero bit?

I can't see it happening, it is still only FI afterall. Some sub-zero nighttime radiational minima are very possible, but I can't see how we can get a cold enough airmass for snow to us yet, where would it come from with sea temperatures at their warmest now?
11-09-2010, 22:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su Campu View Post
Well the precipitation bit goes without saying but the sub-zero bit?

I can't see it happening, it is still only FI afterall. Some sub-zero nighttime radiational minima are very possible, but I can't see how we can get a cold enough airmass for snow to us yet, where would it come from with sea temperatures at their warmest now?

Maybe if some cold air came from scandanavia over a cold england and wales??? but ken said very localised in the north midlands . . .
11-09-2010, 22:28   #12
Birdnuts

Lets save it for winter proper

Northerly plunges are a waste at this time of year - I tend to beleive we have a certain quota every year so its best to keep them for when they'l deleiver the goods ie. Dec-Feb
Thanks from:
11-09-2010, 22:38   #13

I've been looking at the ME station extremes here and some of the inland stations have recorded September absolute minima of -1 to -2°C, most probably due to nightime frosts. Even to get an arctic outbreak from Scandinavia, with the North Sea temperatures around 15°C, it just won't work. Hell, it's hard enough to get it to work in January!!!
12-09-2010, 00:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquiladora View Post
Its been too long since I experienced a good windstorm! That reminds me DE, I think you mentioned on another thread you had a book on the night of the big wind. Did you get that in a local bookshop or online somewhere?
Hey Maq,

It was Peter Carr's The Night of the Big Wind that I referred too. Yep, I got it years ago in a musty old second hand book shop in Galway. I have it read to death.

The narration is very much in informal documentary style. It deals with the story of the people and their personal and collective experiences of the storm. It also gives a brief meteorological analysis with some old and revised synoptic details. One of the best features of the book is that it gives an account of the storm, and its aftermath, including newpaper reports, from nearly every major town in the country!

If you have trouble getting your hands on a copy just give me a shout and I can send it too you no bother.

@Birdnuts!

I totally agree. All this talk of snow and will it/won't it in September is head-wrecking!

Autumn is here, let us celebrate its glorious racing dark skies, its howling gales, its driving rain and its shortening days. To hell with snow! (for another few months anyway )

Last edited by Deep Easterly; 12-09-2010 at 00:49.
12-09-2010, 01:12   #15
maquiladora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Easterly View Post
Hey Maq,

It was Peter Carr's The Night of the Big Wind that I referred too. Yep, I got it years ago in a musty old second hand book shop in Galway. I have it read to death.

The narration is very much in informal documentary style. It deals with the story of the people and their personal and collective experiences of the storm. It also gives a brief meteorological analysis with some old and revised synoptic details. One of the best features of the book is that it gives an account of the storm, and its aftermath, including newpaper reports, from nearly every major town in the country!

If you have trouble getting your hands on a copy just give me a shout and I can send it too you no bother.
Thanks for the info DE, the book sounds great. Thanks a mil for the offer but youre grand, I'll have a hunt on ebay and in the old bookshops for it!

Btw, if you like old weather related books I really recommend Eric Sloane's Weather Almanac (or anything by Eric Sloane). The books were written in the 50s I think but reprinted recently. Sort of part weather lore, part social history, part educational with great illustrations by Sloane.

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Sloanes-W.../dp/0896586804
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion