Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Friday 15th -- flood risk rising, milder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Haven't heard any reports of flooding anywhere yet but there was a good bit of surface water on the roads on the way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dogpaw

This exact time last Friday I took a photo of my car thermometer reading
    -10 degrees now it is saying +10. Isn't it amazing the difference a week makes :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dogpaw wrote: »
    This exact time last Friday I took a photo of my car thermometer reading
    -10 degrees now it is saying +10. Isn't it amazing the difference a week makes :eek:

That reminds me tomorrow night this time last week we were at -13c and we will probably be like 3c or something but at like 7c at day thats real warm thank god today is the highest we will get!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Really hotting up out there tonight... serious wind and rain now battering off the windows.

Anyone know if it will turn to snow and how deep? :D

Actually enjoyed the warmer temps today, in Dublin city earlier and quite pleasant before the drizzle kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Really starting to get windy and rainy here now.

I hope the people accross the road from me in the Waterways in Sallins don't get flooded again, they only finished gutting and drying out their houses from last time !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm not sure what the local authorities are saying or doing, but I see all the elements required for severe flooding to develop overnight and hit during Saturday morning anywhere that rivers flow out of high ground (and let's face it, they all do to some extent). The 24-hour rainfall equivalent for the Dublin-Wicklow region is nearing 75 mms considering rain and snowmelt.

You know, you're dead right MT. This could be a repeat of a month ago when towns like Sallins were ruined. Newbridge, here in Celbridge could get it too, not to mention further downstream in Lucan, Strawberry Beds, etc. This is one that could come up and bite people in the ass, and I haven't seen or heard any official warnings yet...:(

I'm sure there are many more ssimilar situations around the country too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I read about the rain and the flood risk but we're on top of a hill (400' ASL, North Wexford- no flood worries) and while the rain is heavy and lashing the windows, it's the wind that is the dominant feature.
    Very gusty and booming around the house.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nasty out there and quiet in here, people only love the snow.

Here's the vertical windprofile from the 18Z Valentia sounding, showing a rise in windspeed from 19kts at the surface to 49kts just 144m (472ft) above! Serious gusting from that!

102728.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Is there a simple (-ish) answer to why do winds gust?

I'm aware that wind speed is determined by pressure differences but what causes the gusting and how are gust speeds predicted?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wind really strong here. Gusts are extreme. Temp now 9.6c.

MT mentioned some beefy showers on developing to our south. They're racing northwards across the country now and giving several positive lightning strikes off the south and southeast coasts

stormpic.jpg

greysides wrote: »
    Is there a simple (-ish) answer to why do winds gust?

I'm aware that wind speed is determined by pressure differences but what causes the gusting and how are gust speeds predicted?

Windspeeds are related to the pressure gradient, ie. the distance between the isobars. At the surface, land friction greatly decreases windspeed, but higher up, where the wind doesn't directly feel the effects of friction, the windspeed remains high. It is this difference in windspeed with height, ie. wind shear, that causes turbulent mixing of higher speeds down towards the surface. There is a general rule for predicting gusts but I can't for the life of me remember it.... :mad:

Su Campu, thanks.

Did I understand correctly that its the mixing of the faster upper layers with the slower lower layers that causes the gusting?
    If this is so, does that mean that over a flat surface where there would be no geographical impediment to the lower layers (other than surface friction) there would be virtually no gusting?

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I predict gusts partly from climate pattern analogues, in other words, different stability profiles or wind directions give different ranges of wind speeds.

Normally gusts will be about 1.6 times the sustained wind (a sustained wind is the highest 2-minute or whatever time used average in the recent time before a report, and the gust is the highest wind speed recorded instantaneously in the hour before). This tells you that wind speed can also fall below the reported wind speed.

Anyway, an example of the general rule would be 30 mph gusting to 48, or 50 gusting to 80.

I might consider narrowing that range if the air is expected to be stable near the surface because then it won't mix down the higher wind speeds as much. In continuous warm advection sometimes you see a report like 40 G 48 which would be 20% and that's unusually small for a gust increase over sustained.

Winds don't gust very much when they fall off below about 15 mph in stable conditions.

As you say, terrain influences gustiness, it can push up the ratio to about double in some cases (as in 30 G 60). If you ever see a report that gives a very high ratio, like 20 G 80, this is because a squall has occurred in the past hour and winds are already decreasing considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just a question for those in the know. When was the last time it was 10c at midnight in January in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Ive seen it at 12c on Dun Laoghaire Pier at 11pm in January before. After the last few wks i never thought it could get this warm again!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just a question for those in the know. When was the last time it was 10c at midnight in January in Ireland??

Wondering that myself!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've just checked my stream and its very high. I don't have a measure on it but I think highest since 2002 and the catchment area for the stream had little or no lying snow.
    24hr total 35mm, 17.5mm since midnight (3.5hrs)

irish1967 wrote: »
    This is very common during winter. Sunshine makes very little difference to temperature at this time of year and temperature is more determined by the air mass.
    Jan 09 was the coldest month in my records, yet the max temp of month was recorded just before midnight on the 11th. Temp was 12.0C with 11.9C at midnight

• Advertisement

Met Eireann has now issued a weather warning for this :

Issued at 15 January 2010 - 13:00

Weather warning

Rain Friday night will produce falls of 20 to 30mm in parts of south Munster and south and east Leinster, with some thawing of mountain snow also. This may cause localised flooding. Strong winds countrywide also, with gusts 80 to 100 km/hr locally.
    Never saw this warning (I looked before midday) and its not there now?? and I don't think it was there in the evening.

Still raining, though not as heavy as before.
    Nearly 20mm since midnight, 34mm past 24hrs and 38mm past 28hrs

Stream is higher and looking around, it equals worst flooding I've seen here which was in 2002.
    Rain has eased to very light. Just checked manual gauge and 34.2mm since 9am. AWS is under recording a little in the high winds.
    Add 8mm to total for rain before 9am yesterday for a 28 hour fall

I did a cycle around some local roads and had a look at the Vartry. The Vartry was high but not near to endangering property. Probably will rise further but I don't think that'll be an issue now that the rain has stopped. In other words there is room for it to rise further. This depends on how full the Vartry reservoir is and whether all the melt water entering needs to be released. There may be a lot more water to come down. I'll probably take a look at the Vartry later

My stream has already dropped about 100mm (4") Its run is quite short and responds quickly to rainfall.

There is a *lot* of surface water and my stream was actually overflowing a road. I've never seen that before though I don't make a habit of going out at full flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

The Avoca river is at its highest point since hurricane Charlie.

I know this for a fact as my house is attached to the bridge in Avoca so I know its level intimately :eek:

Judging by 'hight tide' water marks (debris etc) the level has dropped from its high point.

Nemesis wrote: »
    The Avoca river is at its highest point since hurricane Charlie.

I know this for a fact as my house is attached to the bridge in Avoca so I know its level intimately :eek:

Judging by 'hight tide' water marks (debris etc) the level has dropped from its high point.
    Keep an eye on it. It may still be rising.
    Are you at risk?

I saw the Vartry the day after Charley and earlier this morning it was more than 1m below that level, and to try give context to that, I guess the depth this morning to be 2m

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

No risk regarding life and limb but the 4 kids and dog will be moved to higher ground (to parents house).

Charlie put about 5 inches of water into my house and its about 1 or 2 feet below that point.

High tide at Arklow I think has a slight affect on the river level at Avoca.

Tide is now going out thankfully.

Thw rain woke me at 5am. I haven't seen such heavy rain here since August 9th 2008. It lasted around 10 minutes, then all went quiet as the front passed.

I notice 7mm fell at Casement in that 10 minutes.

I missed your additonal info that the Avoca river appeared to be down. That's good news. Its 5 hours since rain stopped. Hopefully everything has peaked already, though still a lot of water making its way down from moutains

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Serious wind and rain last night.

Never seen the garden so flooded this morning.

Drainage a nightmare so i now have more problems than i had when pipes were frozen :(

Unbelieveably calm this morning though, hopefully we have a chance to drain a bit before next tuesday evenings next significant forecast rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

<shakes head>

This is such a stupid situation we're all in.

No water in the pipes, the tank, the cisterns after a deluge last night.

Maybe its nature's way of telling us to put out some barrels, pots and pans this evening.

ONQ.

Advertisement