Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy rain,Strong Winds In East & Flooding Overnight Thurs 13th /Friday 14th November

• 12-11-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭

Met Éireann have just upgraded the national rainfall warning for tomorrow to Orange.

Perhaps a dedicated thread? I would do it but I'm not familiar with setting up the coloured thread titles and changeable statuses etc

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath and Monaghan
    A spell of heavy rain on Thursday followed by another spell of heavy rain on Thursday night will give rainfall accumulation of 40 to 60 mm with localised flooding.

Issued:Wednesday 12 November 2014 11:00
    Valid:Thursday 13 November 2014 06:00 to Friday 14 November 2014 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan and Donegal
    Heavy rain overnight and on Thursday will give rainfall accumulations of 25 to 40 mm with localised flooding

Issued:Monday 10 November 2014 20:00
    Valid:Thursday 13 November 2014 00:01 to Thursday 13 November 2014 20:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah just came on when i had a look at the charts , definitely a broad risk of flooding from now through friday . On phone so cant do much. Think a new thread is needed for this.

A relatively high tide of 3.6 m at 4pm tomorrow . Worst of the onshore winds should have past by then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Eireann have issued two weather warnings:
    STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath and Monaghan

A spell of heavy rain on Thursday followed by another spell of heavy rain on Thursday night will give rainfall accumulation of 40 to 60 mm with localised flooding.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 12 November 2014 11:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 13 November 2014 06:00 to Friday 14 November 2014 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan and Donegal

Heavy rain overnight and on Thursday will give rainfall accumulations of 25 to 40 mm with localised flooding
    Issued:
    Monday 10 November 2014 20:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 13 November 2014 00:01 to Thursday 13 November 2014 20:00

Latest high res charts show up 70mm of rain for South Dublin

15587479738_fe4375c03e_o.pngtotalrainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gusts of up to 100-110km/h may be possible along southeast and eastern coasts Thursday morning.

OHk0iRj.png

UKMO assessment :
    A small but active depression will move quickly northwards during Thursday, bringing a short-lived period of gales and severe gales, particularly in areas exposed to the south. The region of strongest gusts will progress from the southwest of England during the morning, through areas adjoining the Irish Sea in the afternoon, before clearing from western Scotland in the early evening. There will also be spells of rain, some heavy, giving 10-20 mm fairly widely and locally 30 mm in southwest Wales, Cornwall and western Scotland.

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention in the media and news bulletins, if current charts are accurate I believe Dublin and other areas will suffer some bad flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Villain wrote: »
    I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention in the media and news bulletins, if current charts are accurate I believe Dublin and other areas will suffer some bad flooding.

I was thinking the same myself. Perhaps the "beast from the east" gets them more hits/headlines.

With the amount of rain that has fallen over the past few days, the ground is well and truly saturated. Saw a lot of flooding today across fields in Wicklow so I'd imagine a further 60/70mm tomorrow will definitely lead to more severe flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

HighLine wrote: »
    I was thinking the same myself. Perhaps the "beast from the east" gets them more hits/headlines.

With the amount of rain that has fallen over the past few days, the ground is well and truly saturated. Saw a lot of flooding today across fields in Wicklow so I'd imagine a further 60/70mm tomorrow will definitely lead to more severe flooding.

Agreed. I walked my dog in Newbridge house demesne this afternoon and parts of the fields were flooded like I've never seen before. I can only imagine what 20-30mm would do let alone 60-70mm as predicted. It's clear the ground is at or above saturation point so any rain at all will stay above the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks standard fare to me.....imo warnings are not warranted as the front clears quite quickly

Looks standard fare to me.....imo warnings are not warranted as the front clears quite quickly

There are two fronts from two depressions, one in the morning and one overnight tomorrow. The models take into account the speed the fronts are moving and still show 30-60mm totals within a 36 hour period, more than enough for localised flooding in places.

Roads can get flooded from a single thundershower, it's not all about duration, the rainfall rate is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Can anyone recommend a good weather app?

60mm in 24 hours period id standard fare???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

WeatherProHD

Model might be overdoing it, but the 18Z WRF showing up to 100mm in 36 hours over high ground in the east.

JVs7WAx.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy driving rain arriving on the Kerry coast now , wind steadily picking up ( recent gust 47kph SSE )

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

it has a nice solid form ...pretty fast moving though

WEB_sat_ir_eur.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Blustery in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Blustery in Cork City.

Nothing new there so

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Absolutely torrential rain here near Dungarvan. Dreading going out driving in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain starting now here. Max gust so far 76km/h.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jenny rennie

Winds very high & lots of rain in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

5.0mm of rain already here this morning (in south Dublin) and the main rain band has not arrived yet. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah I'd expect flooding in Dublin today based on the amount of rain that's come down already.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Thunderstorm with lightning and some hail in Dingle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Lots of rain here in Athlone now :)
    The road that always floods is already flooded - Wasn't surprised.
    At work the paths were also flooded and when waking on the grass verge to avoid getting feet wet there were also puddles in the grass!
    Saturated.

Some flooding reports already. The east should get the worst of the rain later, then a second front will move in over night delivering more rain.
    CORK: Flooding in various parts along N71 Cork/ Bandon Rd between Inishannon & Bandon. Extreme care needed. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch

CORK: Flooding on Lower Glanmire Rd at Tivoli. Road is passable but extreme care is needed. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch

CORK: Reports of flooding on Rochestown Rd at Coach Hill. Extreme care is needed. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch

LIMERICK: Reports of flooding on the Corbally Rd at St. Munchin's College. http://theaa.ie/Roadwatch

WFORD/ TIPP: Reports of flooding on the Dungarvan/ Clonmel Rd (R671). Extra care required. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    5.0mm of rain already here this morning (in south Dublin) and the main rain band has not arrived yet. :pac:

Only 1mm down the road here, no doubt things will level up during the day. With SE winds we always get large rain totals when fronts pass over.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Pounding rain overnight near Limerick City. Gurteen reported 12mm in one hour at 0600h.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can see Co. Kildare in a nice Rain Shadow today and tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I wouldn't be one for the "Twitter Machine" myself but saw this on Met E website....

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/532791436593623040

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Been raining pretty much since 3/4 am in Sligo. At its heaviest now. Rivers running though the town, and I'm not talking about the Garavouge.

And still Muppets drive with no lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Only 1mm down the road here, no doubt things will level up during the day. With SE winds we always get large rain totals when fronts pass over.

Looking at the radar this morning, the showers in advance of the rain band looked a bit hit and miss. I got lucky! :)

Main rain band appears to have arrived now. Up to 6.0mm now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement