Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland 13 / 14 Dec 2017

• 12-12-2017 8:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Worthy of a thread I think. Looks very wintry the next couple of days.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Scattered heavy thundery showers about Wednesday into Thursday. Rain will occasionally turn to sleet and possibly snow - accumulations of less than 3cm possible. Northwest areas will be most at risk. Slippery roads and paths too due to frost and ice, especially for sheltered spots.

Issued:Tuesday 12 December 2017 19:00
    Valid:Wednesday 13 December 2017 11:00 to Thursday 14 December 2017 20:00

Looking like a very wintry day tomorrow with a bit of everything thrown at us. A post frontal unstable airmass pulling in the cold uppers again and what looks like a stream of various precipitation which would seem to have a better chance falling as snow showers on higher ground in the afternoon and possibly a fair chance of snow showers in the East towards late afternoon / early evening ?. Could be a lot of thundery hail showers too popping up anywhere, all in a fresh W'ly airflow giving a sharp windchill . Don't forget your hats and gloves.

REtglM5.png?1

tempresult_xsn8.gif

tempresult_bqk6.gif

tempresult_wou2.gif

nmm_uk1-41-29-4_yyf7.png

tempresult_ndd3.gif

FNzkrlC.png

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few models for comparison.

tempresult_wkj5.gif

tempresult_tht2.gif

tempresult_rcv2.gif

r3T8twf.png

8r7gBid.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Huge comparison between the HIRLAM and most others regarding the amount of precip, be it snow or rain. Only the GFS broadly in line and it pushes it in a little later and further south.

Will be interesting to see what plays out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looking at the above I’m expecting cold cold cold rain , love a drop of cold rain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at the above I’m expecting cold cold cold rain , love a drop of cold rain

We’ve gotten so used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

Nationwide or for particular counties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Don't know much about reading these charts, but that looks like alot of cold cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Posted in wrong thread

18z GFS

24-574UK.GIF?12-18

18z Hirlam

hirlamuk-1-22-0.png?12-22

(indicative) GFS is lower res but it's same - long and heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd be more hopeful in this situation for snow in Greater Dublin this time compared to the slider..

We have good land track which could make all the difference. It will be mixed precip but with some intensity we could see temporary covering and perhaps of a few cms. But it won't be around for long, but i do expect to see a few nice snow showers and would place the risk of temporary lying snow at around 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd be more hopeful in this situation for snow in Greater Dublin this time compared to the slider..

We have good land track which could make all the difference. It will be mixed precip but with some intensity we could see temporary covering and perhaps of a few cms. But it won't be around for long, but i do expect to see a few nice snow showers and would place the risk of temporary lying snow at around 50%

And if you're right it'll be at evening rush hour.

#fun

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest 18Z HIRLAM . Not much evidence of Temps dropping below 0C in any of the models.

tempresult_xuj8.gif

tempresult_uxv7.gif

tempresult_ksn0.gif

hirlamuk-41-23-0_xqk7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Meh, even in the unlikely event it does snow it'll just be a horrible slushy mess, I'd far prefer some nice thundery hail showers. Should be an interesting day out wesht in that respect

Met Eireann going for falls of sleet and snow this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Woopie, another northwesterly! I can't wait for the hail and sleet!

The most exciting part of these few days may be the lightning in some parts. I'm not too hopeful of snow at my level anyway (65 m), but hopefully I'm wrong. Eastern Ulster has the best (least bad) chance of snow to lowest levels, but further south and west I can't see it. On higher ground, certainly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rain and windchill = Horrible morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport has a chance of snow showers in its TAF from 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Strong ninja snow potential after dark this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Strong ninja snow potential after dark this evening

Love the ninja snow.. but somehow I think this will just be rain again in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gusty northerly wind and a hail shower just started in Ennis

Temperature reading as 6c atm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Freezing cold and lashing rain here on the Limerick/Tipperary/Cork border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Just started lashing here South Dublin, about 6°

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2c at Knock, and reported a shower of sleet at 9:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Showers driving through, blustery. Sleet at the end of the last shower. Temperatures didn't drop much below 5c all night and as a result all the snow has thawed.

Currently 5.3c/3.5dp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

By the looks of the lack of activity this won't turn out to be much. I'm just here hoping and praying for at least a ninja attack at about 4 so I'll get sent home early.

Temperature has dropped from 6 to 4 and wind is bitterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

pilly wrote: »
    By the looks of the lack of activity this won't turn out to be much. I'm just here hoping and praying for at least a ninja attack at about 4 so I'll get sent home early.

Temperature has dropped from 6 to 4 and wind is bitterly cold.

I'd be very very surprised if that happens!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A mass of showers just off the NW coast now. https://en.sat24.com/en

Sleety hail shower in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Big clump of wintry precipitation arriving into the west and north west now. A few sferics off shore of the Mayo coast.

You beat me to it, DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Watching the BBC weather forecast there now and there chart was showing a lot of snow showers from about 3pm for the east of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Camron Fit Storage

Temps dropping, lots of precip around. This could very well turn into a semi eventful day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Uggh horrible day in Castlebar, not raining at the moment but ground very wet from all the fully melted snow and a horrible bitter wind and very dull. Weather doesn't get more miserable than this.

Advertisement