Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brief window for snow in Eastern and Northern Counties - Jan 1st, 2nd

• 30-12-2016 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

May as well post something for those hoping for some snow and winter weather.

The East could see some snow showers on the 1st and 2nd. Temperatures at all levels are cold enough, dew points are low enough and the wind will be north-northeast.

So don't be surprised to see at least a dusting. Cold air flowing over still relatively warm waters can beef up shower activity.

Hate to be in the Isle of Man shadow :p

Higher ground (Wicklow) a given.

No need for any warning yet. Be wary though of very cold nights to come nationwide.

GFSOPEU18_72_2.png

liqiu.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

A Kermit thread about snow now 11 hours old and no replies...

I remember a time when people left work early collected their kids from school after a Kermit snow thread was started?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Met Eireann making no mention of any snow on the forecast after 6 O Clock news. Average temps for next week then. Once again nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann making no mention of any snow on the forecast after 6 O Clock news. Average temps for next week then. Once again nothing to see here.

Some difference there between MT and ME for next week, more mild weather and settled conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hi res also suggests high ground only

nmmuk-45-72-0_cgt0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

U can see how frustrated Evelyn looked. Very bland forecast for a reason. They won't mention snow unless they are 100% positive. They tend to use the term wintery showers a lot coz it covers them for everything lol. I'd say they will change the forecast tomorrow but it is going to be mostly dry Sunday and Monday but there will be some snow on high ground

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even the UK forecasts are going for rain there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Hopes dashed yet again. I'm afraid 2010 was the last big cold spell that any of us will ever see in our lifetimes. Now I know I come across as doom and gloom on here but I really thought the east was going to break through and deliver. Just a few days of snowy weather would lift many people. It makes the winter. It hardens things up. I fear it will be a non eventful winter for the next 3 months. I'm not looking for storms, just some cold hard snowy weather for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie 12z says NO!

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Hopes dashed yet again. I'm afraid 2010 was the last big cold spell that any of us will ever see in our lifetimes. Now I know I come across as doom and gloom on here but I really thought the east was going to break through and deliver. Just a few days of snowy weather would lift many people. It makes the winter. It hardens things up. I fear it will be a non eventful winter for the next 3 months. I'm not looking for storms, just some cold hard snowy weather for a week or so.
    Relax lol it's only one run that's not great but not to bad either. Let's see how the next few runs goes before we cancel winter lol 😂❄️️❄️️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

fraxinus1 wrote: »

Ah feck that, i'm only 40 and expect to see some amazing wintry weather before i kick the bucket:D Hope to be firing snowballs at 80:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

nagdefy wrote: »
    Ah feck that, i'm only 40 and expect to see some amazing wintry weather before i kick the bucket:D Hope to be firing snowballs at 80:P

Not far off you. A lot of ott comments based on one bad afternoon runs! I think we will get lucky at some stage over the next 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I stick to what I said last night.
    A couple of hours worth of back edge snow tomorrow night. Uppers and thickness are more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think the best one can hope for is 30mins of sleet/wet snow, that is if some heavy precip forms along the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Not far off you. A lot of ott comments based on one bad afternoon runs! I think we will get lucky at some stage over the next 3 months.

Couldn't agree more. What we are seeing in all the outputs is no sign of a rampant Atlantic so lets be patient and I am sure we will get what we want......eventually:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some snow to low ground in northern areas. East coast clippers for Wicklow.
    Elsewhere I dont see anything settling unless showers are heavy enough to bring down the freezing level.

405120.png

405119.png

As always it'll come down to a nowcast situation on this extreme borderline setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

nagdefy wrote: »

if we think about it over the last 80 years there has been one decent snow event at least every 15 years, so, as you say, if we are lucky enough to live another 40 years, we will certainly see some good snowfall before we shuffle off this mortal coil. I don't think we will experience anything like 1947 again, though - that really was exceptional, low pressure after lower pressure stalling to the south west of Ireland resulting in copious amounts of snow. I know most people probably don't want that to happen again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock Airport has a forecast of snow showers from 2am-7am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Knock Airport has a forecast of snow showers from 2am-7am.

we will witness another beast from the east but it could be anything up to another 10 years before it happens. We will strike it lucky some winter, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Watch out for some 'sausages' moving south along the cold front. Could be some strong convective gusts associated with some lined convection and even some sleet/hail. Don't see any forming so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Watch out for some 'sausages' moving south along the cold front. Could be some strong convective gusts associated with some lined convection and even some sleet/hail. Don't see any forming so far though.

405147.jpg

Theres one.

Last post before the celebrations begin. Happy New Year all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A couple of hours worth of back edge snow tomorrow night. Uppers and thickness are more than enough

How did this work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How did this work out?

You're really a sour little yoke aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

How did this work out?
    One-liners about about forecasts that didn't quite work out are not constructive and add nothing of value to the discussion!
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    You're really a sour little yoke aren't you?
    What happened to attack the post not the poster? If you have to resort to name-calling then it's best to say nothing at all!

Cut it out - both of you.

Thanks

at least somewhere has got snow today. Light covering on the macGillycuddy reeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

if we think about it over the last 80 years there has been one decent snow event at least every 15 years, so, as you say, if we are lucky enough to live another 40 years, we will certainly see some good snowfall before we shuffle off this mortal coil. I don't think we will experience anything like 1947 again, though - that really was exceptional, low pressure after lower pressure stalling to the south west of Ireland resulting in copious amounts of snow. I know most people probably don't want that to happen again either.

In my lifetime those years with settled snow lasting at least a week,1977,1978,1979,1982,1987,1991 were all big snowfalls max 4 yrs apart but as Gonzo often says every 80's year in that period had easterly snowfalls

Forgot about this thread,we've had hail streamers all day off the Irish Sea here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Mia Fancy Traveler

After a fairly clear day, clouds now starting to make landfall from Irish sea here in Meath / N Dub. Maybe time for some hail such as ArklOw has been getting..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cold and windy in Donegal but just a bog standard winter's day with a few hail showers now and then. Visibility is low so can't see if there's any snow on the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

3.3c here with rain/hail showers. Thought it might be colder TBH. North easter in January should bring snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

arctictree wrote: »
    3.3c here with rain/hail showers. Thought it might be colder TBH. North easter in January should bring snow.

Uppers causing these showers are only -5c
    Relentless cold rain & hail in Arklow for the last hour Quite vile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice cold clear evening in castlebar, the good weather continues, usually here in the West it's wet windy evenings but November and December this year were very pleasant. A few cool nights but all in all very mild and dry. If it continues I've a feeling next summer will be rather miserable(even worse than usual) , looking out to the west now and still some shades of blue in the sky. there's no storms, there's no snow,(I love a decent snowfall but not the slushy mix). it's good weather and enjoy it

Advertisement