Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I did it once for a few months and never get myself into such an arrangement again. There’s nothing like finishing a shift and getting into the car by yourself, listening to shlte on the radio, talking to yourself, fart if you need to, whatever! Bringing someone home from work just prolongs the social charade of the day when you want to switch off and have peace.

OP if I were you I’d just say it’s not something you can commit to anymore. Don’t get tangled up in excuses or lies, you don’t even owe him a reason. You were very good to do what you did for four months and if you don’t want to do it anymore then that’s okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

fits wrote: »
    No point two cars going if one will do. Saves pollution, traffic congestion etc. But everyone should pay their own way.

It's often one pays all. Another one gets all.

I know of a few that would not even consider moving closer to work because of the price. While not having a car at the same time. They just stick to their team commuter belt and expect to be driven in. Be sure to be on time and make sure to let them know if you go for holidays etc. You definitely need to ring them if you call in sick or anything like that. They actually know when you are on holidays, but good to let them know in case they forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I did it once for a few months and never get myself into such an arrangement again. There’s nothing like finishing a shift and getting into the car by yourself, listening to shlte on the radio, talking to yourself, fart if you need to, whatever! Bringing someone home from work just prolongs the social charade of the day when you want to switch off and have peace.

OP if I were you I’d just say it’s not something you can commit to anymore. Don’t get tangled up in excuses or lies, you don’t even owe him a reason. You were very good to do what you did for four months and if you don’t want to do it anymore then that’s okay.

This - all of this. No chance I'd be having to hang around waiting on someone, or alternatively feeling under pressure to get out to meet them - ESPECIALLY if they weren't paying a cent towards the costs.

But on that last point.. I think it might impact on insurance in the event of an accident if you were taking money too as technically it's no longer "social domestic and pleasure" but more like a cab for hire.

I could be wrong of course, but the downsides seem not worth the hassle on several fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This - all of this. No chance I'd be having to hang around waiting on someone, or alternatively feeling under pressure to get out to meet them - ESPECIALLY if they weren't paying a cent towards the costs.

But on that last point.. I think it might impact on insurance in the event of an accident if you were taking money too as technically it's no longer "social domestic and pleasure" but more like a cab for hire.

I could be wrong of course, but the downsides seem not worth the hassle on several fronts.

Just pointing it out that you are allowed to take a payment, as long as it is just to cover the expenses, so you don't make it for profit, or God forbid, living ;)

In the event of the accident I would be more worried about a chance of personal injury claim if you were at fault, but that's really outside the scope of the thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

wonski wrote: »
    Just pointing it out that you are allowed to take a payment, as long as it is just to cover the expenses, so you don't make it for profit, or God forbid, living ;)

In the event of the accident I would be more worried about a chance of personal injury claim if you were at fault, but that's really outside the scope of the thread anyway.

might be outside the scope of the thread but it would certainly turn an outside of insurance - 500 euro prang (regardless of fault) into something a lot more out of your own hands

• Advertisement

No point two cars going if one will do. Saves pollution, traffic congestion etc. But everyone should pay their own way.

I’d rather sit in traffic longer than have to have someone in the car with me and all the hassle it also brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

might be outside the scope of the thread but it would certainly turn an outside of insurance - 500 euro prang (regardless of fault) into something a lot more out of your own hands

I know very little about car insurance, are you saying the driver would have a liability issue as a result of carrying his colleague as a passenger (and potentially taking payment)? Other posters seem sure it isn't an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

JayRoc wrote: »
    I know very little about car insurance, are you saying the driver would have a liability issue as a result of carrying his colleague as a passenger (and potentially taking payment)? Other posters seem sure it isn't an issue

I'm just saying that if he got rear ended or did the rear ending etc, a lot of the time a small little thing like that could be sorted without going through insurance, but if you have a passenger who isn't a friend or family, they might be inclined to put in a claim for whiplash etc and all of a sudden you're exchanging legal letters with the leech who wouldn't even offer to pay for your petrol.

All it is, is another angle for these tried and true one sided bad arrangements - to not be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

tedpan wrote: »
    The additional weight of the person will add up over a year and the costs are pretty significant when calculated.

Must add thousands to the annual costs alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP. If you're not going to say anything to him you need to change tack next week.
    You'll need to spend a few bob but it sounds like you won't mind.
    Order a takeaway every night next week. Alternate the food but get the gassy stuff. Garlic chip, vindaloo curry, taco fries.
    Make sure you put the child lock on the car windows on Sunday night.
    He'll never survive a week of hot boxing.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

These sort of situations never get resolved by dropping hints or passive aggressiveness or making the car wet/stinky/uncomfortable. You have three options here.
    1. Continue as you are, getting more and more annoyed at the tight fcker who's enjoying the convenience of being ferried to and from work free of charge
    2. Ask for money towards the petrol (How much exactly are we talking about here?)
    3. Tell them you're not going to pick them up any more. Don't be apologetic about it but state it as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

4 months and hasn't offered anything?

Joke - not a hope I'd have given them a lift past the seond week because if I was them (I don't know the distance), I'd be throwing a courteous 20e a week at the least. They're getting taxi service 10 times a week.

Also, I'd be very reluctant to get into any arrangement like this. Having to explain to someone that you need to go somewhere else after work or feeling guilty because you're late in the morning for whatever reason... no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Naos wrote: »
    4 months and hasn't offered anything?

Joke - not a hope I'd have given them a lift past the seond week because if I was them (I don't know the distance), I'd be throwing a courteous 20e a week at the least. They're getting taxi service 10 times a week.

Also, I'd be very reluctant to get into any arrangement like this. Having to explain to someone that you need to go somewhere else after work or feeling guilty because you're late in the morning for whatever reason... no chance.

I just can’t understand how people get into these arrangements and can’t seem to get out of them. Users like the lift spongers have a homing instinct for soft touches like the OP and know they’ll be get away with it.
    As they say if you want to be treated like a doormat you will be treated like a doormat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“Dude, look, our arrangement getting you to work and back has to end. I’m going to be hitting the gym after work some evenings and before shift other days so won’t be passing your place anymore, from Monday the 22nd you need to make alternative arrangements to get there and back, sorry, but it’s been fun,”

Might not be the truth but ... “ I think you are the worst most ungrateful, freeloading cûnt I’ve encountered in my xx years of existence on this planet and sick of looking at your entitled mush “ might lead to some ill feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Knew of a lad once well my sister was good friends with a cousin of his , he used charge his mother petrol money to take her to hospital appointments and to the shops.
    When his father ended up in hospital he used take petrol money off him for going to visit him.
    Apparently this tulip fancied himself as a bit of a writer and when his mother passed away he advertised his services on the memory cards.
    My sister saw the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

I sometimes use to give lifts home from work to work colluges.then he said he would meet me at certain time in the morning.i said no i wasnt getting in routine for nobody in the morning.plus i hate talking to anyone in the morning.point is just say no it no longer suits you to give lifts .use to give another mate a lift.i had to get him out of bed.so one morning i arrived he was still in bed.i drove off never picked him up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

road_high wrote: »
    I just can’t understand how people get into these arrangements and can’t seem to get out of them. Users like the lift spongers have a homing instinct for soft touches like the OP and know they’ll be get away with it.
    As they say if you want to be treated like a doormat you will be treated like a doormat

Agreed but then, maybe some people are just nicer than us :)

I'm looking at this from the otherside though, I cannot understand how someone can get into this arrangment as the lift taker and not want to pay.

Two examples :

I've taken a lift from Dublin - Galway for a stag/weekend away from a matesand have either contributed for petrol or bought the first couple of pints for them.

I've had a work colleague give me a lift and I arranged to meet them at a garage closest to me and met them with a coffee in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I wonder how many times you'd have to 'accidentally' shit yourself before he'd stop taking a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Just because it wasn’t asked for doesn’t mean you shouldn’t offer. It’s common decency to pay your way especially if a regular thing

Exactly, the driver of the car doesn't get these things for free and €20 a week would still be cheaper according to the driver than getting public transport, why are people so greedy and inconsiderate, pay your way in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I am forever getting myself into situations like this lol. If I were you, I'd just stop giving him lifts altogether unless you're friends. Life's too short to be annoyed by something every day, when it's completely avoidable. Tell him to shag off. He's either taking you for a mug or has 0 social skills. Either way, it's time to give him the boot. Asking for cash would make you look scabby, even though you've been giving him lifts for months. People have short memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i remember when I got my first graduate job in Dublin, I was ringing around places to rent. some ar$ehole who lived in a big house, probably worth a fortune, wanted to know if I would drop him at work every day, fcuk off, needless to say I looked elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

With good weather on the way, I suggest taking out the aul bike from the shed and cycling to work for a while. Tell him you're looking to save a few bob/lose a few pounds.

You could offer to give him a crossbar if you like!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I used to give a guy a lift to work years ago. He was on my route , I lived about 25 miles from work, carried him for the last 10. Anyway he lived down a lane way and I’d often have to wait maybe a minute, I’d see him running up the lane. Never offered a penny towards petrol even though I’d stopped numerous times to fill up. Was getting sick of it so I suggested one Friday we go for a pint after work. Didn’t buy me one drink, needless to say the lifts stopped the next Monday. People that use a continuous favour and show no appreciation deserve nothing, not even good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jes Irish people are so weird. Just ask him for a contribution to petrol going forward. It’s not that difficult and it’s not in any way impolite!

that's just not how we do things.

We have a remarkable tendency to take the side of the person who is unquestionably in the wrong, if the driver asks straight out for juice money, other guy will be affronted and when he tells others, OP will be branded a mean cnut

it can work both ways though. I remember a friend of mine years ago who didnt drive, college student, single mother. this older guy who was in her class at college gave her a lift to college most days, charged her 60 euro a week for petrol, as my friend didnt know how much it cost to run a car. he was easily making a profit from her the miserable prick, off a single mother who didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it can work both ways though. I remember a friend of mine years ago who didnt drive, college student, single mother. this older guy who was in her class at college gave her a lift to college most days, charged her 60 euro a week for petrol, as my friend didnt know how much it cost to run a car. he was easily making a profit from her the miserable prick, off a single mother who didnt work.

Well she was just a bit thick then wasn’t she.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Naos wrote: »

I've had a work colleague give me a lift and I arranged to meet them at a garage closest to me and met them with a coffee in hand.
    Would you not have got them one too?!?

Well she was just a bit thick then wasn’t she.

maybe she thought she couldn't say no. The guy was the person at fault in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

When I had to get lifts, when my car broke down or the bus was too unreliable,I always made an offer to pay for petrol.Most timesit was turned down,but when I got regular lifts from a friend,I paid for petrol. the lifts saved me a lotof bother and when I got backinto reliablemotoring, I always returned the favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

I wonder how many times you'd have to 'accidentally' shit yourself before he'd stop taking a lift.

Ah, good to see the old AH hasn't completely died off.

Have you tried blasting him with pi55 op?

Advertisement