Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

yeah just end the arrangement. What's anyone going to say? You don't even need a reason (covid could be one if you're allergic to being impolite)

He can hardly go to someone and say ah that fella is some bastard he gave me free lifts for 4 months and then stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Kylta wrote: »
    I run a car, but if your looking money of him why give a lift. Or mabye you should become a taxi service. But then again a hungry ¢unt is a hungry ¢unt. I suppose you count your teabags too

There's a difference between being sound and being taken advantage of.

If you have no problem spending thousands a year so someone else doesnt have to...then eh great I guess.

Have you been in the same situation for a prolonged period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The OP was annoyed about being taken for granted as opposed to being out of pocket. He's facilitating the passenger saving a significant amount of money without so much as offering anything in return. It appears that the lack of a offer of anything for being given a lift every day for 4 months is what grates with the OP rather than being out of pocket.

Like you said, the person should offer out of courtesy. They haven't and hence the OP feels taken for granted.

I'm curious to know the passenger who gets a lift of the OP, has the passenger done him any favours over the last four months. Its the passenger repaying him for his generosity in kind. Maybe buying him his lunch, a few pints if his in the local etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

If you feel you are being taken advantage off then speak up and talk to the colleague about it.

There's a difference between being sound and being taken advantage of.

If you have no problem spending thousands a year so someone else doesnt have to...then eh great I guess.

Have you been in the same situation for a prolonged period of time?

Again the OP is not being put out, he's going to work he is not detouring to collect passenger, the OPs cost are going to be the same whether he gives he's passenger a liftor not. In regards to the passenger if didn't offer his a miserable fu¢k. But for the OP the journey will always cost the same whether their is one in his car or ten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lurching wrote: »
    I'm blown away by the amount of people who think the OP should just continue collecting this person with no contributions.

This isn't a situation where the OP is a greedy sod, its a situation where the person taking the lift is massively taking advantage.

The OP may not save any money if he chose not to collect the passenger, but considering he's sharing his car, it would be nice to know the other person is contributing something to the arrangement.

Many Irish people are soft like that, more worried about pleasing people and “not looking stingy”- they’d sooner be a doormat and be rode senseless

Again the OP is not being put out, he's going to work he is not detouring to collect passenger, the OPs cost are going to be the same whether he gives he's passenger a liftor not. In regards to the passenger if didn't offer his a miserable fu¢k. But for the OP the journey will always cost the same whether their is one in his car or ten

Added weight burns more fuel and wear and tear on a car. Fairly obvious I would have thought

For the OP I can't see this situation ending well. I think if the passenger pays or doesn't or the OP doesn't give him A lift. I think its all going to end up in resentment from one or both sides.

I avoid these regular arrangements at all costs, hate having someone in the car on a trip like that and having to make small talk rather than listening to the radio and just having the time to myself. Also you are tied to deciding on a schedule for going to/from work which if your work is flexible and like me you decide to sleep in for an extra 30 mins or work later etc it doesn’t work if you have committed to giving a lift.

I have occasionally given lifts in situations where I know it wouldn’t be an overly regular things like the time of the bus strike or a time I was going a long drive regularly and I was giving someone on temporary placement a lift. I was always offered money or a bottle of whiskey or something (which I always accepted) though and while I wouldn’t have asked I expected to be offered something since I was saving the person hassle and money.

road_high wrote: »
    Added weight burns more fuel and wear and tear on a car. Fairly obvious I would have thought

How heavy is his one passenger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

road_high wrote: »

The extra wear and tear on the door handle, hinges, seat and seat belt, carpet (or floor mat) should not be under estimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have found that when you're going by someone else clock, you can't take your time on a task as you have to be out for them, and you can't leave too early to avoid traffic, as you have to collect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

there's still going to be extra cost involved even just in having to slow down and pull in to the side of the road and drive off again, as well as having to clean the interior of the car 2x as much there will be tangible costs. And it doesn't take no time, and the hassle of also having to contact someone else to say you'll be late or early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Kylta wrote:

Depends on how much they weigh. The cost in carrying that weight is not insignificant when calculated on a monthly or annual basis.

the_syco wrote: »
    Have found that when you're going by someone else clock, you can't take your time on a task as you have to be out for them, and you can't leave too early to avoid traffic, as you have to collect them.

And that is why I'd never ask a person for money going to work (ill stress this again the OP is not going out of his way).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

While I most definitely wouldn't ask for money, it's really scabby of him not to even offer anything in return.

I mean, it's just about a small gesture, even an 8-pack of cans every now and again, a bottle of wine, even just buying you lunch the odd time. Costs essentially nothing and means a lot.

I mean recently a friend went considerably out of his way to collect and return me to an event. Later that week we went to the cinema, I insisted on buying his ticket - it cost me €8. Him going out of his way earlier that week literally saved me €30.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think its all going to end up in resentment from one or both sides.

That's already happened, hence the thread we are all reading.....

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Do you know the op? Sounds like you're the passenger! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And that is why I'd never ask a person for money going to work (ill stress this again the OP is not going out of his way).
    The OP may not be going out of his way, but the OP has to drop them home each day. The OP can't, on a whim, decide to goto a shop in the opposite direction; they have to drop off the person first. And by then, they're probably already home.

Or decide to leave the car at work so that they can go for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Wait till you have a crash and his insurance claim comes in, that will be fun.
    He's a mean bastard if he doesnt throw you twenty every week at least for the petrol and an occasional Lotto quick pick as a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Youre calling us miserable c$unts, so I'm asking about you, not the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

Health and safety on work sites are known to turn contractors away if they arrive in the same vehicle now. The danger of covid spread is your excuse to end this arrangement today - not that you need an excuse. You can simply tell him you wont be available for lifts from today. If he asks why just mention the virus and the fact you should not have been giving lifts all this time, or just repeat 'I'm not available'.

Youre calling us miserable c$unts, so I'm asking about you, not the OP.

In regards to me, if im going to work and I pick you up, if im going in a straight line we say and not out of my way happy days I don't want anything off you. If im put out on my journey well something will have to happen.
    I have collected people on my way to work, (ie say at corner or a bus stop because I haven't detour from my route). And if i'm truly honest they would offer something or other. But there's is no way I'd take money for not being put out. Now in fairness to the passenger if he doesn't offer money could maybe he is afraid offering money could offend. Or maybe he genuinely is a miserble ¢unt. But I would offer money if I was getting a lift over a prolonged period of time. But thats me. Now I wonder would all the car owners that are bitching about the passenger would they be queuing up to pay if they were vetting a lift for nothing.
    Now I know we'll disagree on this but if your going from A to B on a journey and its costing you the same whether you have a passenger or not I think its wrong to look for money.
    I think I have riled some posters by calling the miserable ¢unts and to set the record straight they are miserable ¢unts.
    Happy days

Giving someone a lift too and from work everyday is a serious pain in the hole.

nails1 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.

Hey OP sorry I haven't read most of the posts, besides the issue of fuel money. Is there other reasons why you don't want him in the car? And why do you feel obliged to give him a lift

kingstevii wrote: »
    Do you know the op? Sounds like you're the passenger! :D

I actually don't like being a passenger. I love to drive.

In my summer job I needed a lift to work especially when weather was shyte. No money asked for.

If I was in a permanent job, I would offer "something".
    Drivers car will use more fuel with extra body on board.

In my summer job I needed a lift to work especially when weather was shyte. No money asked for.

If I was in a permanent job, I would offer "something".
    Drivers car will use more fuel with extra body on board.

Just because it wasn’t asked for doesn’t mean you shouldn’t offer. It’s common decency to pay your way especially if a regular thing

The extra wear and tear on the door handle, hinges, seat and seat belt, carpet (or floor mat) should not be under estimated.

Yes they do and all adds to depreciation especially on a new car. If there wasn’t wear and tear all cars would look new forever

• Advertisement

In my summer job I needed a lift to work especially when weather was shyte. No money asked for...............

Was any offered?

Advertisement