Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

A few years back me and a friend were walking along Ballybunion beach and it was really dark at this stage (I live near it), but just near the shore there were 5 or 6 people lying on their backs in a straight line with a couple of yards between each of them and they were all dressed in black with long black coats (it was dark but there are lights lighting the walkway so I could see) and I walked closer to the one who was nearest me but they didnt move and I asked was he alright but they said nothing. My friend just grabbed me and we ran. I know it reads like nothing and I'm bad at explaining things but it was the freakiest thing the way they were all dressed, lying in the sand and not moving or talking, just in a straight line it must have been over 10 years ago and it still scares the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I met Willie O'Dea once....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's amazing the amount of people who came just within a hairs breath of being nabbed by a pedophile, rapist, serial killer. I'd have never thought so many kids out there had these narrow escapes. These are just the near misses. There must be thousands being abducted week.

My mum told me some hair raising stuff when the Catholic sex abuse stories began to surface. Brendan Smith regularly gave retreats in her school and only for her mother, who was as Catholic as they come, had a bad feeling about him her and her sisters missed the 'special confessions' he held for girls on their own. She also told me about the town weirdos who'd flash the kids on their way to school. One of them was found beaten to death in a bog a few years ago, I don't remember it making the news but there's a well known and I'd say well founded local rumour that a group of dads who had young children decided he wasn't going to abuse their children like they was abused and 'took care' of the situation.

I don't know whether its parents being way more believing of their children now or children being educated about what to do if something bad happens in school but the 'stranger danger' aspect of abuse is actually very rare. Its far more likely to be a very close relative who's an abuser than a local oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I cant find any photos on the net of the tapestry room but id fascinated to visit the house. I think!

The priest who performed the exorcism of the house in the 1700s (Fr. Broaders) spent 4 days and nights trying to rid the house of the demon, eventually he managed to banish it from all rooms but the Tapestry Room, hence why the room was locked away from all prying eyes all the time it was a nuns refuge and a hotel..the woman who ran the hotel with her husband refused to step foot even once inside that room for the 20years she was there. Mediums refuse to walk inside to perform a reading and animals shy away from the room when urged inside.

Now I know the above sounds really dramatic and film-like, but I can assure you that I was a 100% sceptic and normally think things like haunted houses and ghosts are complete rubbish and all down to the human imagination but that room has something horrible and demonic in it, I felt a thousand of pairs of eyes on me burning into me and I never felt so uncomfortable in my entire life, BOTH times. Go and see the place by all means, but be warned that room is evil, straight up no sensationalism..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

Pr!ck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The priest who performed the exorcism of the house in the 1700s (Fr. Broaders) spent 4 days and nights trying to rid the house of the demon, eventually he managed to banish it from all rooms but the Tapestry Room, hence why the room was locked away from all prying eyes all the time it was a nuns refuge and a hotel..the woman who ran the hotel with her husband refused to step foot even once inside that room for the 20years she was there. Mediums refuse to walk inside to perform a reading and animals shy away from the room when urged inside.

Now I know the above sounds really dramatic and film-like, but I can assure you that I was a 100% sceptic and normally think things like haunted houses and ghosts are complete rubbish and all down to the human imagination but that room has something horrible and demonic in it, I felt a thousand of pairs of eyes on me burning into me and I never felt so uncomfortable in my entire life, BOTH times. Go and see the place by all means, but be warned that room is evil, straight up no sensationalism..

That's some awesome bull**** you're peddling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That's some awesome bull**** you're peddling there.

Like I said, I was a complete skeptic of haunted houses before I walked into that room, and I stand by every word I said, why dont you try it out for yourself instead of being abusive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Dolbert wrote: »
    My little cousin used to creep me out as a kid. He'd sit listening to static on the radio, to hear 'the people'. When we told him it was just static, he'd insist that there were voices there 'behind the noise'. He also loved animals, except one of our dogs. The dog was always friendly, so we asked him why he didn't like him. 'He used to be a bad person' he replied (he was four at the time). I realise that this was just a kid talking b0ll0cks but it still gave me the shivers :pac:

a numbers station perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

a numbers station perhaps?

"59372 98324 19043 78903 95320..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Great story. It should be easy enough now to find out what happened to Dara and his family though asking the older people in the area about why the family left and maybe even through the school as they usually have to send some sort of report on to a new school. You could say you were organising a reunion and wanted to contact him. If you were very brave you could front up to the local priest and ask him if there were any records and maybe do a bit of gossiping about the former priestly incumbent. :D And then there is Facebook. I won't be able to sleep until I know what happened. :(

Well the story is obviously made up so I wouldn't worry about it.

While I'm debunking:
    Like I said, I was a complete skeptic of haunted houses before I walked into that room, and I stand by every word I said, why dont you try it out for yourself instead of being abusive?

Do you realise the old house with the story about the devil and the girl in the tapestry room was demolished entirely and that the current structure was built much more recently?

Finally, speaking of number stations: Number stations are terrifyingly creepy. They broadcast insane gibberish on radio fequencies - sometimes warped noises, sometimes women or children reading out sequences of words or numbers etc - for no discernible reason. The best guess out there is that they are used by intelligence agencies to communicate with spies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgF9ZlI_R-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the reports of weird sky sounds heard accross the northern hemisphere in 2011? Theres a scientific explanation btw but they sound like something from a horror film. 20seconds into the Budapest vid kind of spooked me a good deal.

Completely and utterly debunked:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

According to the wikipedia article that house was knocked down and rebuilt in the 1870s, so the original room is no longer there. No source is referenced for that and I haven't gone looking any further, but tbh I tend to be a fairly trusting person when reading wikipedia.

On topic, I've experienced sleep paralysis, and that is pretty goddamn unnerving. Thankfully I didn't have any particularly frightening hallucinations, but being awake and unable to move at all is fairly scary the first time it happens.

Also when I was young, I at one point had a room by myself where I slept on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed (I guess I picked the bottom bunk out of laziness or something!). Anyway, I went to my room one night, turned off the light, shut the doors and window, closed the curtains etc and got into bed to go to sleep. After a few minutes of trying to get to sleep, I start to hear strange noises coming from the top bunk. There was a bit of shuffling, and some strange scratching sounds. I completely freaked out, I lay there ****ting myself for about a minute trying to think of any plausible explanation, before gathering the courage to run across the room and out the door. Thankfully I made it out without any monsters/killers attacking me!

Soon realised that while the window was open in the day a bird had flown in and settled down on the top bunk! :)

I reckon it probably would have been possible at the time to tell from the sound that it was something quite small, but at the time I was only about 10 and not exactly thinking straight! It wasn't TOO small either, it was one of my neighbour's doves I think, so I guess smaller than a rook but bigger than a blackbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In 2009 I stayed in Portugal for a week. A nice villa with a private pool. Myself and Mrs r3nu4l rarely strayed from the villa, just chilling out by the pool all day. So one night I had a very strange dream.

In the dream, I met Michael Jackson and we had a great chat about how he felt he had wasted a lot of his life and not dealt with his issues and how he regretted so much and wished he could go back and change things.

Anyway, the alarm rings, I wake up and go to the villa kitchen to make breakfast in bed for herself. I switch on the TV to catch up with the news and here I see rolling reports on the death of Michael Jackson overnight! I nearly sh1t myself :D I've never been a fan, never dreamed about the guy before (thankfully) and haven't since. The news of his death only emerged after I went to bed that evening so it's not like I had heard it on radio or in the local village or anything during the day.

A second weird thing that happened to me was when I was about 8. I was due on an outing with the 'Summer Project'. A bunch of local kids were going to go to the fire station on the Belgard Road in Tallaght and the fire crew would let us have a go in the engine. Anyway, the departure point was at my school gates, a 15 minute walk from my house. I was excited to go and left on time. I showed up 30 minutes after the departure time. Somewhere on the route I lost 30 minutes of time. To this day I don't know what happened during that time and I couldn't answer then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

When I was 13, I was walking home from school (the bys dropped me about a mile from my house) it was a Friday and both my parents were working and my brother was away at school. It started to rain and I had no umbrella, next thing this car comes along and slows down, the guy in the car, aged late twenties/early thirties says 'hey Elaine (not my name) jump in I'll give you a lift" I told him I wasn't Elaine and he then apologised and said I looked very like her and he'd give me a lift anyway. I knew this was dodgy and I pointed to my closest neighbours house which is about 600 meters from my house and said no thanks, my house is just there. So I quickly walked into the entrance of that house and waited there for a few minutes.
    When I walked back out he had actually pulled his car up at a small grass verge, I knew then that he knew this wasn't my house and instead of going back into my neighbours house I threw off my school bag and ran, he followed (my house has a long avenue) and as I was running up it I kept thinking no ones at home, I was absolutely terrified.
    I went straight to the back door and it was open, my brother was there, he had a day off school, I'm crying and can barely talk so he immediately starts asking what's wrong, I just kept pointing outside , he grabs a Hurley stick and runs outside, the man is getting out of the car, as soon as he sees my brother he jumps back in and speeds off.
    Guards were called but we didn't manage to get a reg number so he was never found but obviously he wanted to either rape, hurt or kill me.
    Very scary and I was so lucky that my brother was off school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

gozunda wrote: »
    Height of the troubles...

Had got the bus to the southern side of the border near Swanlinbar
    (Idiot of a bus driver wouldn't stop on the border)

I had a push bike and rucksack with me
    Cold wet foggy day - bus driver left me off in middle of nowhere at rural bus stop

Had some 7 miles to go by bike acros the border to get to my destination
    Day light was fading and the fog was getting thicker when I set off into the evening

Fog got so thick that I could just about make out the hedges on either side of the road. Then trouble as the front light started cutting out as the damp was affecting the terminals...

Up ahead loomed the concrete manned checkpoint. Here was I - cycling without any real noise and an intermittent flashing lamp on a dark foggy night whilst approaching an manned checkpoint in what was at best considered a dodgy area

Got to within about 10 feet of the checkpoint when I heard at least one gun being cocked and a squadie called out - Stop and put up your hands. Sh1ting myself I duely put the two hands in front of me

Out of the fog appeared the squadie, gun in hand - at which point he pissed himself laughing and asked

Do you do this kind of thing often?

Had to laugh, said no just occasionally and cycled off into the North...

Changed the pants later

True story ;)

In the early 90's I remember our school was evacuated into the playground. Everyone was lined up, we were split into groups of North, South East and West depending on which direction you lived in. We were told to leave the school and follow the leader. Turns out me and my older brothers lived in the North direction. The IRA had phoned the school and told them to evacuate because a bomb was about to detonate, the RUC had (has) a huge military installation next to the school, some call it tactical position, but whatever. I remember the teacher and nuns panicking.

Anyway, we all left. The teachers weren't doing a great job, because I remember me, my brothers and a few others ended up walking through the town on our own. We went to my aunts workplace.

It turns out it wasn't bomb attack, rather a mortar attack. The IRA had set up a position with a mortar weighed down with blocks. An armed RUC unit went to the place to confront them. They called out armed police, all but one of the IRA ASU ran into the local housing/alleyways. The one that stayed with the plate opened fire with an AK-47. The car got away and no-one was injured. I know someone who has the car wing mirror as a souvenir. The rest of the day there were so many helicopters and army around Strabane looking for the IRA it looked like apocalypse now.

The creepiest thing about it was the nun almost losing her ****. I was too young to be scared or know what the rest was about.

It was only two years ago I found out it wasn't a bombscare but a mortar attack. True story, probably on CAIN site or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sakinah

Last year I was at that junction beside the beacon hotel in sandyford if anyone knows it. There are 2 lanes of traffic coming from the Dundrum side crossing forward toward the hotel and on the opposite side beside the hotel there are 2 lanes of oncoming traffic.

Anyways I was the first car in the leftmost lane and as there was a red light I was watching the girl waiting in the car beside me, she was cooing to her child in the back seat. We were both the first cars in eaj lane going the same direction. Anyway all of a sudden I got the heeby jeebies and like a day dream that she was about to have a massive collision which totally freaked me out.

So the light went green for us and we both took off across the junction. The two oncoming lanes were packed and stopped as they had a red light. We both kinda sped up as you do crossing a junction as the first cars.

When we got to the other side, wasn't another car speeding up in her lane directly toward her trying to skip the traffic queue so he could turn right.

Immediately I braked knowing she would have to cross into my lane or they would smash head on. She copped what I was doing and swerved across in front of me and drove off

I was a bit trembly after that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This whole child-abduction near-miss thing is always prevalent in these sort of threads. Each one might be a bit creepy and unnerving, but the sheer quantity of stories like this, here and on other forums, is probably the most unsettling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Ok this still makes my blood run cold, but please bear in mind in may not translate well from real life to post :)

I was in Seattle a few years ago with a friend for a few days, we had come down from Vancouver. We got caught short at the border- no US dollars, only Canadian, we were young, never traveled before and it was something that just hadn't occurred to us. The guy on customs ATE us and we had to go round the other people passing through to get them to swap. We were like 2 dopes! Anyway we eventually get through no hassles....

Make it to Seattle. Weirdest place I've ever been in my life. Don't get me wrong I've since met people who loved it but I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Our 2nd day there we were wandering around the city exploring. We were coming up a road which let onto a huge shopping area. We were surrounded by nothing but stone walls and some entrances to multi story car parks, or at least thats how I remember it... Only 2 on the street, this guy comes out of somewhere and stops us. Just a man, in his 40's, wearing sunglasses. He tells us that he's in a bit of trouble, he crossed the border with only Canadian dollars, just ran out of gas and he can't find a bank.
    Like 2 eejits (what happened to us at border control was still in our minds) we start to reach to our purses both saying Oh God like same thing happened to us blah blah...... Next thing he takes my friend by the arm, as he removes his glasses (never been so creeped out, he was so evil looking) and tried to steer us down towards were we had just come walking from, which was basically a deserted block, saying "girls you'll have to come with me, my elderly parents are in the car I only have $500 bills blah blah blah"
    My friend shrugged him off and we both took off in the other direction, he starts following us, we turn onto a block that by rights should be busy but was dead (or maybe thats my memory of Seattle as a whole) he's still behind us. My friend turned into an arcade and we start walking towards the back- wasn't very big and theres a set of stairs at the back which took us up and accross and back down towards the front of the arcade. We ran up and when we walked accross the top we could see down to him, he had the glasses off and was standing hands on hips scanning round, thank God the place was quite dark. We got out and walked a few stores down and into H&M.
    I am convinced this guy was going to do something sick... I'm quite a rational person but I will never forget those 5 minutes or the whole vibe I got from that creep
    Never felt so frightened and far away from safety before. In that moment I would have done anything to get on a plane and come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

I looked at this link in work, was enjoying the first lines of the story and let out a shriek. The colleagues just said are the French bothering you again...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Just read entire thread......... No sleep tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Kinda mildly creepy, and curious in a way.

Just having a quick read now about ghosts because of this thread.
    I find it interesting that ghosts/the idea of a spirit outside the body are common to ancient cultures in all continents from what I can see so far.

So if they're common in Mayan and Aboriginal and Inuit and Gaelic and African cultures hundreds of years back ...then maybe theres reason to believe in them.

They wouldn't have been able to pass the story to each other.
    Mayans in deepest S.America, Aboriginals on an island continent. Oceans between them. Same descriptions.

Anyone?

(ibf facebook, email etc)

Hmm, without arguing about legitimacy of them, the derivation of ghosts is easily argued. The reason most cultures have them is probably more to do with the simple fact that, when alive, a person is more then the body they inhabit, they are a personality, a trait that disappears when they pass away. In other words, its a pretty easy leap to notice that the body remains but the person does not, ergo the person is something else that leaves, and in some cases sticks around. This idea is not necessarily one thats intended to be scary either. The ritual sphere of the Siberian Khanti entirely revolves around different tiers of spirits, many of whom are ancestors etc.

Anyway! thats just my two cents. Absolutely loving that this thread survived its first day! I knew boards would have some amazing stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

gg2 wrote: »
    Just read entire thread......... No sleep tonight

Ditto! Just finished there! Some really interesting stuff here. I'm gonna try rack my brains tomorrow and recall something. I suppose if I can't recall now, there probably isn't anything too stand-out, but that's hardly a bad thing (though such events make great stories to tell), unless there's something almost repressed, hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Knew I shouldn't have read this thread before I went to sleep. One of those Chinese lantern things just floated past by bedroom window and frightened the **** out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Thankfully I haven't had any really unsettling experiences. The creepiest thing that ever happened to me was when I was about 9 or 10, my brother and I went to visit my grandmother in Mayo. We used to sleep in a room at the front of the house, away from the other rooms. Anyway, it's the middle of the night and I'm lying in bed, unable to sleep, when suddenly there's this incessant, frantic rapping on the window. I just completely froze, totally terrified. The knocking went on for about 30 seconds and then eventually stopped. I called over to my brother to see if he'd heard it or been woken up by it, but he hadn't. I didn't sleep for the rest of the night, and when I got up in the morning, I mentioned it to my grandmother. Being the age that I was, I was convinced a ghost had been knocking on the window. My grandmother assured me that it wasn't, and that in fact it had probably been her neighbour's son from up the road who was a schizophrenic and frequently went wandering at night. In hindsight, that's probably what it was, but I'll never forget how scared I was in that moment. Not long after, the guy set his father's bog on fire and committed suicide.

Love this thread. I gotta say, reading about people's real life close encounters with possible rapists/murderers/paedophiles is far scarier than any horror movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

When I was about six or seven years old there was a bit of an argument in the house, nothing major just the grown ups downstairs having a few words.

I sneaked down the stairs to have a bit of an earwig and sat on the staircase about half way down just to hear what was going on(ours was an old staircase with the full partition banister ie you couldn't see through, no spindles).

As I'm sitting on the stairs facing the hall window I look up and there is a figure standing, just standing and not moving looking in through the hall window straight at me.

I was frozen.

I could see no face(well it was dark, no lights on) but it was a large person(male as I saw it) but to this day and I'm nearly 40 now when I think back to that it was fu*king freeky.

It scared me ****eless as he just stood there and glared at me, even thought I couldn't see his features I knew he was glaring at me. I was fixed solid to that step I was sitting on and I couldn't move.

As an adult I can now identify the emotion that I felt sitting there and it was menace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've often seen a friend of mine thumbing at the side of the road in the middle of the night, in the strangest places too, I was down at knock airport there a few weeks ago and he was thumbing just outside Tubbercurry, even though he was rarely ever outside Donegal when he was alive.

I mostly put it down to my imagination, but sometimes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Love this thread. I gotta say, reading about people's real life close encounters with possible rapists/murderers/paedophiles is far scarier than any horror movie.

Haha, thats exactly what I thought when I was reading the Reddit one. Some of these are seriously creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

blacklilly wrote: »
    When I was 13, I was walking home from school (the bys dropped me about a mile from my house) it was a Friday and both my parents were working and my brother was away at school. It started to rain and I had no umbrella, next thing this car comes along and slows down, the guy in the car, aged late twenties/early thirties says 'hey Elaine (not my name) jump in I'll give you a lift" I told him I wasn't Elaine and he then apologised and said I looked very like her and he'd give me a lift anyway. I knew this was dodgy and I pointed to my closest neighbours house which is about 600 meters from my house and said no thanks, my house is just there. So I quickly walked into the entrance of that house and waited there for a few minutes.
    When I walked back out he had actually pulled his car up at a small grass verge, I knew then that he knew this wasn't my house and instead of going back into my neighbours house I threw off my school bag and ran, he followed (my house has a long avenue) and as I was running up it I kept thinking no ones at home, I was absolutely terrified.
    I went straight to the back door and it was open, my brother was there, he had a day off school, I'm crying and can barely talk so he immediately starts asking what's wrong, I just kept pointing outside , he grabs a Hurley stick and runs outside, the man is getting out of the car, as soon as he sees my brother he jumps back in and speeds off.
    Guards were called but we didn't manage to get a reg number so he was never found but obviously he wanted to either rape, hurt or kill me.
    Very scary and I was so lucky that my brother was off school.

Something very similar happened to me. My friend lived just down the road from me and we both lived very near the school so we often walked home together and used to dawdle by the wall across from my house chatting for ages. We were about nine I think.

One particular day an old man in a car was driving very slowly along the road and pulled up directly in front of us. He just stopped in the middle of the road and looked over at us. I felt very uneasy at this so I told my friend I was going in home and she began to run down the path towards her house. I had to cross the road the man was parked on to get to mine. I darted across and once in my driveway glanced back only to see him reversing into my drive! I was very frightened at this point and ran up to the door and banged really hard on it. In my house at the time, the others used to argue over who would have to answer the door and it could often take a while before someone would open it.

I glanced back again and saw the creepy old guy actually getting out of his car and walking towards me. I was almost crying at this point when suddenly my brother opened the door and within a matter of seconds the weirdo jumped back into the car and tore off.

I just knew that there was something seriously wrong there. Luckily, nothing came of it.

There are so many stories of near-abductions on this thread that if I had young kids I'd certainly turn into one of those mothers who's afraid to let them out alone.

Some really scary near-misses here.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

well thanks everyone for your contributions; between reading this thread and the heebie geebies last night after thursdays beer - i never slept a wink last night.

had a few strange experiences when i was a student in belfast in the early 90's. Me and seven other girls lived in a large three storey victorian house just off Botanic Avenue. The back yard was very small with a high wall and a solid wooden gate which led out to a back alley - thats were bins were collected from. The alley was creepy and there would have been a few crusties and the like hanging around. Leaving the bin out was always done in pairs. We had previously been broken into and to strengthen the gate, our landlord had fitted two sets of brackets on it and then a couple of planks set into them.

So one night me and another girl left the bin out. It was a dark and wet night. We came back in and closed the gate and were trying to put the planks into the brackets but they had swollen in the rain. We pushed and heaved at them and got the first one in but I got a splinter in my finger.

I kinda yelped 'ouch splinter splinter'. Immediately and just on the other side of the gate a male voice whispered 'splinter splinter'. we both heard it, screamed and ran into the house.

On another night we were drinking and getting ready to go out. There was no phone in the house but there was a public phonebox opposite our front door. Me and the same girl went out to phone her sister who lived about ten streets away (she had a phone in the house - very posh in those days). We both had bottles of beer with us and were pretty tipsy. We were standing in the phonebox and a police landrover drove past and stopped. it reversed back - i was worried we were going to get told off and fined for drinking in public. A policeman came and knocked the door of the phonebox. We opened the door and he was pretty agitated. he asked us did we live nearby - we pointed across the road. He told us to get home immediately and lock the door - there was a man with a knife terrorising the street. We ran like hell!

Another night me and the same girl (god we were always in trouble) were walking home after a night out, we were fairly close to home and we realised a man was walking behind us. We both just got the feeling he was up to no good. I told her to walk a bit faster and we did - so did he. We got to the end of the road and we could see our front door and we started to run - so did he. We ran like hell, got into he house and just got the door closed in his face. He hung around for a while and we were worrying for the others who were also out - no mobile phones to warn them but he eventually went away.

Advertisement