Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

In the past, I have on occasion had dreams which ended up coincidentally coming true. I say "coincidentally" because I am not a believer in premonitions ... but at the same time, say if this one DOES come to pass in the next couple of days, I'll be able to quote this post and say, "SEE? SEE? TOLD YOU SO!" (And if it doesn't, I'll just allow this to fade ignominiously into the background! :o )

It involves a castle. An impressive looking one. In one dream it was being used as a jail; in another a school; in another a hotel; in another a concert venue. I guess that whatever it's being used as now is irrelevant, but it certainly looks like a castle.

Something bad will happen there. There will be deaths/injuries on a large scale. I can't say whether the castle itself will remain intact - in one dream it was hit by a train but only large sections collapsed, in another by a bus that barely affected it. Both cases were accidental, I'm not sure whether or not this incident will be. I mentioned the bus and train, I'm not convinced something like this will be involved (but bonus points to me if some sort of transport - I'm thinking a plane - will be involved.) I can't say whether or not it'll be done on purpose or accidentally.

The dreams are vague and meandering and definitely won't give me a clear or factual picture of what'll happen. All I'm saying for sure is it'll be a castle (or a building that looks like one), we'll all hear about it on the news, and it'll happen soon.

What marks these dreams out from other dreams for me? Well, first of all, they occur straight after I go to sleep. Before I should technically be in the dreaming phase. I might go to sleep at 11pm, wake up at 11.15pm, but have been dreaming for what feels like several hours in a short space of time. They are physically and mentally exhausting - right now my legs hurt like I've been running in a marathon, I can barely put any weight on them! And I'll always wake up after them - I may go straight back to sleep, but not after waking at the end of the dream.

These sort of dreams have come true usually when people I don't know are going to die. This time, members of my family feature in some of the dreams. This doesn't really concern me - if family of mine are involved, either it'll be distant family or they'll escape uninjured or both.

Of course I hope that nothing will happen! But how creepy will it be if this one does turn out to be true ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Of course I hope that nothing will happen! But how creepy will it be if this one does turn out to be true ...

I'll avoid roller-coasters in Disney Land for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Bus crashes into overpass in flanders?
    On sky news there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

In the past, I have on occasion had dreams which ended up coincidentally coming true. I say "coincidentally" because I am not a believer in premonitions ... but at the same time, say if this one DOES come to pass in the next couple of days, I'll be able to quote this post and say, "SEE? SEE? TOLD YOU SO!" (And if it doesn't, I'll just allow this to fade ignominiously into the background! :o )

It involves a castle. An impressive looking one. In one dream it was being used as a jail; in another a school; in another a hotel; in another a concert venue. I guess that whatever it's being used as now is irrelevant, but it certainly looks like a castle.

Something bad will happen there. There will be deaths/injuries on a large scale. I can't say whether the castle itself will remain intact - in one dream it was hit by a train but only large sections collapsed, in another by a bus that barely affected it. Both cases were accidental, I'm not sure whether or not this incident will be. I mentioned the bus and train, I'm not convinced something like this will be involved (but bonus points to me if some sort of transport - I'm thinking a plane - will be involved.) I can't say whether or not it'll be done on purpose or accidentally.

The dreams are vague and meandering and definitely won't give me a clear or factual picture of what'll happen. All I'm saying for sure is it'll be a castle (or a building that looks like one), we'll all hear about it on the news, and it'll happen soon.

What marks these dreams out from other dreams for me? Well, first of all, they occur straight after I go to sleep. Before I should technically be in the dreaming phase. I might go to sleep at 11pm, wake up at 11.15pm, but have been dreaming for what feels like several hours in a short space of time. They are physically and mentally exhausting - right now my legs hurt like I've been running in a marathon, I can barely put any weight on them! And I'll always wake up after them - I may go straight back to sleep, but not after waking at the end of the dream.

These sort of dreams have come true usually when people I don't know are going to die. This time, members of my family feature in some of the dreams. This doesn't really concern me - if family of mine are involved, either it'll be distant family or they'll escape uninjured or both.

Tell us about the past dreams that have come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

One morning I was in bed with the window of the room open. Room was on 1st floor. I was asleep and was dreaming that I was in a field and one or two foxes started coming towards me, then more and more and more. The field was full of foxes coming at me from all angles. Then the wind picked up strongly and was rustling the leaves in the trees really loudly.

I woke up then and could still hear the rustling of leaves. Got out of bed and looked out the window and a fox had gotten into the back garden and was climbing up the ivy on the wall beside my window to try and escape, making a load of noise in the process.

Freaked me out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Love this thread. Best boards thread ever. Nothing very creepy has happened to me thankfully as I'd probably die of a heart attack. The most unnerving thing that happened to me was around 7/8 years ago. I started to think about my former best friend who I hadn't spoken to in 7 years as we had fallen out. I wondered how she was doing and googled her, expecting to find her bebo/Facebook and probably reports of how successful she had become. Instead I found an rip.ie listing from the previous week. Still don't know what happened to her, she was only 25. Really shocked me.

Other than that I've had a few weird times where I picked up the phone (old fashioned house phone) to call my mother and there's no dial tone so I said hello and she's already on the other end having just phoned the moment I picked up so it never actually rang. Has happened 3 or 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Love this thread. Best boards thread ever. Nothing very creepy has happened to me thankfully as I'd probably die of a heart attack.

It's kind of been spoiled over the last few weeks though, there's more crap and jokes than actual stories, it's a pity a Mod wouldn't come in and tidy it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Realist2

a few years ago, i was really stressed from college, i failed the first year, and then i didn't know what to do, which lead to many sleepless nights, which lead to hallucinating, one morning i was after a terrible night sleep and i heard my aunt in the kitchen talking to my mother about me, she often visited our house as she lives down the road, my mother was telling her how i failed the exams and my aunt said sure it was no big deal as there is lots of fas courses and different courses to do and my mother said he should be grand, i heard it clear as day when i was in my bed around 8 in the morning, at lunch time when my mother came back to the house, i said to her did my aunt have any news, she said i haven't talked to her for nearly a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

mariaalice wrote: »
    The racing pidgin was the most interesting it came in cocked its head sideways and gave me a puzzled look as if to say do I live here, I never noticed it before but some birds do have expressions on their faces or heads because I am not sure if birds have faces.

I have tears streaming down my face from laughing at this line. I'm afraid if I go to bed I'll keep my partner awake by continuing to laugh at it all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I have tears streaming down my face from laughing at this line. I'm afraid if I go to bed I'll keep my partner awake by continuing to laugh at it all night long.

****, you just made me start laughing my ass off at my desk in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ****, you just made me start laughing my ass off at my desk in work.

And me now too :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Haha. I don't know why I clicked back in here. I had to get up and leave the office for some air.

Its amazing how something like that can be so hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

http://globalnews.ca/news/2083497/transport-plane-crashes-in-indonesia-killing-at-least-20/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I've spent a few hours reading this thread and I'm genuinely entertained, but also a little creeped out. I decided to add my own entries, possibly not as exciting as most of the others, but still worthy of mention.

A few weeks ago I was walking home on my own late at night (about 1 in the morning) and I was coming up to the darkest stretch of road on the journey. I was moving along, not a care in the world, with an odd glance away from the path. I was about 300 metres from home when I glanced over to the other side of the road and my heart almost stopped: There was a man standing there, staring at me. He wasn't moving, and his clothes seemed a bit old-fashioned and out of place. His face was extremely pale, especially considering it was so dark. He was also emotionless. I stopped on the spot and met his stare for 30 seconds or so, although it felt much longer. I don't think he even blinked once. I was considering calling out to him, but I couldn't speak, I was so afraid. I set off walking at a pace that was almost as if I was running, and never looked back. I still have no idea who he was or what he was doing.

I posted a thread about this event previously in AH, but I'll give it a brief mention again here: One time, again, late at night, I was sitting in the back room in the dark for some time with the curtains drawn, although there was a small break in the middle. I was watching television and decided to turn the light on. When I went to get up, my dog decided that she wanted to go out and so approached the backdoor. She immediately reacted to something outside; after switching on the light I opened the door and followed her outside. At the end of the garden, perched on the back wall, was a person. Again, extremely pale-faced, with a bald head. I made eye contact for a small while, before he jumped down. I have no idea what he was doing, but upon turning around I noticed that the spot where I was sitting on the couch was visible through the curtains. I was alone that night and I never quite relaxed after seeing him. I had to pick my dog up and go inside and lock the doors as soon as he was out of sight.

This last one isn't so much creepy, as extremely unnerving. We had family staying over at our house for the weekend, and so I had to give them my room, as mine was the only one of two with a double bed. I was instead staying in the spare room, which acted as a sort of dumping ground for things we wanted out of the way. Anyway, before I went to sleep, I was reading a book. The bed was pressed against the wall, as the room was quite small. I put the book down to check a text message on my phone, and it slid underneath the bed, down the side. Reluctantly I ventured to the floor where I found that there was an overwhelming amount of rubbish between the side of the bed I was at and where the book had fallen. My phone didn't have a torch/flash function, so I used the dimly lit screen to try and see if I could find the book. I was also feeling my way around. Suddenly, near the back, I felt a clump of hair. I moved my phone in and the dimly lit screen revealed, to my horror, something absolutely terrifying: a human head. I immediately reacted, jerking my head back and hitting it hard off of the underside of the bed while at the same time letting out a scream. My family immediately rushed to the room. I told them what I saw, and I was hysterical. I went back down again and pulled it out. Turns out it was a doll's head my sister had 10+ years ago for practicing hair-dos. The face was covered by the hair, and so I didn't immediately see it to be what it was. Safe to say I was extremely embarrassed and have yet to live it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mkhall

I came across this thread by accident and couldn't stop reading! So I thought I'd add a story of my own. :eek:

I grew up in America and there is a dirt lane beside my house that leads up to an old farmhouse dating back to the late 1700s. It's modernly used as a horse farm as it has many fields and a racetrack but definitely do with a bit of doing up. My mom's cousin lived there in 70s and her son (who was 3 at the time) was always wetting the bed. When she congratulated him for a having a few dry nights he told her that the lady in white carried him to the toilet. She dismissed it as his imagination and thought nothing of it. She said she heard footsteps from time to time but it was an old house so she didn't think much of it. Fast forward 13 years and she was waiting for her son to come home from a party. She went to the attic (4th story of house) to keep watch for his truck coming down the lane. The attic is very high up so you can see a good distance. She stood there a while and felt a presence behind her and turned around and saw an older woman in a white dress. I'm not sure what happened after that.

In the 1990s my parents built our house up the road and a new family moved in and they had some daughters around my age. We soon became friends and I think I must have heard my parents talking because I always got the creeps going into that house. We used to play in the barns and sometimes the horses went crazy for no reason and once we swore we saw someone walking out of the barn, but there was no one. They invited me over for a sleepover and although I was really creeped out I was a 7 year old girl so I definitely didn't want to miss out. I remember sleeping on the floor in their bedroom and I'm not sure if what happened next was my imagination from hearing my parents talk about it or real but I heard footsteps and saw something under the door. I got so scared that I puked all over myself. I'm still not sure whether it was my imagination today. Later their little sister (who was in the same bedroom as my mam's 3 year old cousin) used to talk about some lady as well. Her parents also told mine that they'd hear footsteps and sometimes wake up and the coffee maker would be running when no one had switched it on.
    They eventually moved out and when I was a teenager a new family moved in. My dad became good friends with the new tenants and they told him that they'd wake up to fresh coffee as well and my dad told them story. Later the new tenant saw this lady in the barn. They'd asked me to babysit their daughter once and although I really didn't want to I needed the money. It was only during the day anyway. I was even more creeped out this time knowing the stories and their daughter was a bit of brat and locked me in the cellar (the cellar has dirt floors I might add) and she then started shaking the door violently and told me that she was the "lady in white". I know she was messing with me but I high tailed it out and made her go up to my house instead. I asked her on the way up did she ever see this lady and she said yes she comes to my room and yesterday she was in the kitchen. That ended my babysitting stint anyway.
    Since then a new family moved in and they haven't seen anything bar hearing footsteps.

In another instance, my neighbour moved in up the road just off the dirt lane about 15 years ago. Nothing strange until recently but I swear I always got a creepy feeling upstairs despite their house being brand new. They had some gardeners over recently and one them asked who the man was in the window? My neighbour told them no one was home. Her mother in law slept over one night before that in the bedroom in question and swears that someone was on top of her grabbing her throat.

My aunt also lives in a really old house. She's never seen anything but hears footsteps and bizarrely it smells of old tobacco smoke sometimes. I was always sceptical of this but a few years ago we were coming back from a shopping trip and the upstairs reeked of old pipe smoke. Everything stopped for a year or so but recently she told me that "that damn ghost" was back again. My aunt and uncle kept leaving different things on the counter and they'd go missing only to return back to their original places weeks later. (Eg keys, vouchers, etc.) She also filled a bath and came back to check it and the water was switched off.

I know these aren't the scariest of stories but thought I'd share anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Happened a few mins ago, thought to myself I bet my sister will call looking for a lift....no less than 10 seconds later she rang, its been months since she asked so its not a common occurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

A lad from my class got married years ago. He was a right tosser and was always grinning and smirking at me. He passed a message to my sister saying I'll never be getting married. I replied he won't be married for long. A few years on and his marriage broke down. Still get dirty looks from this guy in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Back when I was in college in England, I lived in student accommodation. It was a hot summer, and the apartments used to heat up like billy-o, so when I was studying or etc, I'd take a break for a bit and go sit outside, day or night, perched on a particular rail at the door with my kindle. Now, the thing is, I had a black cloak that I was rather fond of. It was light enough that it wasn't too warm, but just enough of a layer to keep the chill off. I also have long black hair and fairly pale skin. So there's me, in the evening, perched on this railing in the long cloak, my face lit up by the kindle screen hovering some eight feet from the ground, and indeed, thinking nothing of it. Until I spotted some poor sod skulking as far away as possible from the door yet on the path that suggested they really wanted to come in, but were wondering what on earth I was!

To the few people I reckon I've alarmed that way at night, my apologies. I'm quite alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I woke up there on Monday after dozing for about half an hour, and I was completely out of it. I didn't know where I was, who I was or what day it was. Took me about 20 seconds of lying there for it to come back and my head to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 1time

bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1time wrote: »
    bump
    In the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Some weirdo tried to grope my voluminous beard :eek: :p:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96418283&postcount=44

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Some weirdo tried to grope my voluminous beard :eek: :p:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96418283&postcount=44[/QUOTE]

ha ha love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Samaris wrote: »
    Back when I was in college in England, I lived in student accommodation. It was a hot summer, and the apartments used to heat up like billy-o, so when I was studying or etc, I'd take a break for a bit and go sit outside, day or night, perched on a particular rail at the door with my kindle. Now, the thing is, I had a black cloak that I was rather fond of. It was light enough that it wasn't too warm, but just enough of a layer to keep the chill off. I also have long black hair and fairly pale skin. So there's me, in the evening, perched on this railing in the long cloak, my face lit up by the kindle screen hovering some eight feet from the ground, and indeed, thinking nothing of it. Until I spotted some poor sod skulking as far away as possible from the door yet on the path that suggested they really wanted to come in, but were wondering what on earth I was!

To the few people I reckon I've alarmed that way at night, my apologies. I'm quite alive!

You're actually dead. Hasn't the Sixth Sense taught you anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

had a dream the other night that was so strange, there were characters in it I had never met or seen before, I was a different person in the dream too, I was poor and spoke with a Belfast accent, It was the 1920's too, like a previous life or something,there was a older woman in it and I felt strongly affectionate towards her walking hand in hand through the street with her thats where the dream ended and I woke up actually saddened about it....weird!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I had a dream that Gwyneth Palthrow was going to drown. It was a random one, I have no feelings towards her, neither like or dislike her! Sadly I think it may happen though. I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Samaris wrote: »

You have to Let the Right One In

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Went to visit a psychic / healer about 2 years ago. Apparently this lady will only take an appointment with you if she feels you need to be seen and refuses to take your full name when booking, only your first name.
    I had went to visit my parents the day before & found a book that distant Canadian relatives had published and sent over about our family history. Naturally I flicked to the section on my immediate family and saw that it would've been my long deceased Grandfather's birthday the next day. Thought no more of it & went to visit the psychic the next day. When I went in she addressed me by my first name and Jane, I said no, it's just "first name", she looked at me a bit strangely and continued anyway.
    She then described a very tall man and a very small woman who were always watching over me. To me it was obvious that they were my grandparents (there was almost 2 feet in height difference between them) but I said nothing as I didn't want to be too open with her, I suppose I was sceptical. She was then able to tell me my Grandfather's first name and that he seemed to be celebrating something as he was holding a cake. At that point I was so shocked I burst into tears & told her she was right that it was my Grandfather and that it would've been his birthday that day. She gave me a few minutes to compose myself & then told me that they had a young child with them, a little girl called Jane. Now here's the kicker, Jane would've been my aunt but died as a child.
    Needless to say I left that day an emotional wreck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

DA7800 wrote: »
    I've spent a few hours reading this thread...

This last one isn't so much creepy, as extremely unnerving. We had family staying over at our house for the weekend, and so I had to give them my room, as mine was the only one of two with a double bed. I was instead staying in the spare room, which acted as a sort of dumping ground for things we wanted out of the way. Anyway, before I went to sleep, I was reading a book. The bed was pressed against the wall, as the room was quite small. I put the book down to check a text message on my phone, and it slid underneath the bed, down the side. Reluctantly I ventured to the floor where I found that there was an overwhelming amount of rubbish between the side of the bed I was at and where the book had fallen. My phone didn't have a torch/flash function, so I used the dimly lit screen to try and see if I could find the book. I was also feeling my way around. Suddenly, near the back, I felt a clump of hair. I moved my phone in and the dimly lit screen revealed, to my horror, something absolutely terrifying: a human head. ...

I had suspected you might be "on something" after reading your first two stories but when I read this part I had you down as a definite whacko. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Just a very quick one... I live in a fairly quiet housing estate and last night / this morning at about 4.30am, I was woken up by my house alarm going off. Nobody else was home, just me all on my own. I have lived here for three years and this has never happened before. I got up and turned on the lights and checked all the rooms, windows and doors upstairs and downstairs, but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Right after I had checked all the rooms and windows and doors for anything out of the ordinary, and was on my way back to bed, I heard the sound of a car with its engine running, stopped outside my house. I peered out the window and saw a taxi just waiting outside my house. It was dark outside except for the lights of this taxi. This was not normal for where I live. After the unusual occurrence of my house alarm going off seemingly on its own, and now this, I was starting to feel more uneasy by this stage. I waited to see if anybody was going to get in or out of the taxi. I couldn't yet tell if there were any passengers inside it. After about two minutes of peering out the window, waiting to see what was going on, one of the car doors opened and I see a very drunk-looking passenger sitting there at the edge of the back seat with his head down, looking like he had fallen asleep. After about thirty seconds, he gets out of the taxi, and a woman gets out behind him. I didn't recognise them from the area at all and they definitely weren't neighbours of mine, so it was a bit strange that they were getting out of the taxi outside my house, and at this time of night. They slowly walked off together and the taxi drove away.

I was too tired to really think any more about it, and went straight back to bed and fell back to sleep pretty quickly. I obviously don't think there was any connection between the two incidents, but it was unnerving at the time. I was thinking about it today, though, and it started to unnerve me thinking about what it could have been that set the house alarm off. I guess I'll never know!

Advertisement