Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What words should be banned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

POXBOTTLE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

POXBOTTLE

Thats a blast from the past that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Pivot. Unless you’re talking about Microsoft Excel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Seamai wrote: »
    AIR BRIDGE when talking about COVID-19, gives the impression of hermetically sealed safety and exclusivity which it isn't. Spain in particular will accept pretty much anyone as they rely on tourism so much.
    Do we now have to find a new word for that moveable passageway that takes people from an airport terminal to the plane without having to walk across the tarmac now?

The Green Mile

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Vita nova wrote: »
    When it comes to the media including social media, I take a quasi-Voltairean approach, in that if you want to generically refer to people as culchies, boggers, muck-savages, rednecks, hicks, hillbillies, yokels, bumpkins, woollybacks, etc. then I'm not going to tell you that you can't but I'd have no problem criticising you or supporting others criticising you for doing so.

However, I do believe companies and institutions should have the right to ban certain words within their organisations in order to create a less hostile and more productive environment.

Ps. If you really want to call someone any of the above terms then I suggest that you don't mix up they're and their or write that's as thats because that's just irony.

Actually I can't recall calling any person for the country any of them names in maybe a long long time. I've never met a culchie who couldn't give back the same amount of stick that he got of a dub. But I refuse to have anybody tell me what I can and what I can't say. Because next you won't be able to say him, her, it, that. Etc. So I'm keeping my free speech. But doesn't the word culchie sound so poetic, i'm gonna use it all the time slagging of everybody.
    Hey culchie lover can you tell me were the word culchie emanted from. Hopefully its nothing to do with kiltimagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Kylta wrote: »
    Actually I can't recall calling any person for the country any of them names in maybe a long long time. I've never met a culchie who couldn't give back the same amount of stick that he got of a dub. But I refuse to have anybody tell me what I can and what I can't say. Because next you won't be able to say him, her, it, that. Etc. So I'm keeping my free speech. But doesn't the word culchie sound so poetic, i'm gonna use it all the time slagging of everybody.
    Hey culchie lover can you tell me were the word culchie emanted from. Hopefully its nothing to do with kiltimagh.

It actually is derived from coillte meaning woods or trees, like if someone got offended for being called a culchie we’d let him raise the turkeys with the women folk while we foot turf.

amacca wrote: »
    If not mentioned already

Hubby.......****ing hubby.

It makes me die a little inside everyone some otherwise probably reasonably intelligent woman starts talking about her hubby.....

I'm twitching here just typing the word Hubby.

Am curious have you got a hubby? would you like a hubby? Would your hubby be as good as the neighbours hubby? Or would you like to be called hubby hubby hubby hubby.
    I hope that has solved your twitching hubby issue. Ok then just for you her hubby his hubby everybody loves hubby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Omackeral wrote: »
    Woke

But I just woke up... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Closing time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yester wrote: »
    Only a culchie can call another culchie, culchie.

I call them... slurrymunchers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Strumms wrote: »
    I call them... slurrymunchers

or bogtrotter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Life hack (no... it's just a way of doing something - you didn't hack sh!t)
    Influencer (no... you are just a regular joe with a damn instagram account)
    Thought-leader (no... you're a twat!)

they all make my eyes roll....

Any word that's in the dictionary. We should start a new language.

Hosfanihed (in old language means Hello in greeting the female)

Hosdiched. (Means Hello when greeting the male)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

Am curious have you got a hubby? would you like a hubby? Would your hubby be as good as the neighbours hubby? Or would you like to be called hubby hubby hubby hubby.
    I hope that has solved your twitching hubby issue. Ok then just for you her hubby his hubby everybody loves hubby

:D nice try but it's more the spoken form that brings me out in a rash!

You know, like on a radio interview, Brendan o Connor or some sort of hack like that asks some super busy mother of 3 entrepreneur minor media personality about how she juggles kids and work and still manages to find time to do charity work, busk on o connell street and update her ****ing Insta while painting her nails and what does the "significant other do ..... like is he just sitting there in his boxers wearing an egg stained vest pulling the plums off himself most of the day

Then we get regaled about the minor successes the hubby has encountered in the back garden putting up a shed or dropping the kids off at training while yer one is simultaneously inventing a new form of yoga and writing a lifrstyle article for a Sunday supplement etc etc

amacca wrote: »
    :D nice try but it's more the spoken form that brings me out in a rash!

You know, like on a radio interview, Brendan o Connor or some sort of hack like that asks some super busy mother of 3 entrepreneur minor media personality about how she juggles kids and work and still manages to find time to do charity work, busk on o connell street and update her ****ing Insta while painting her nails and what does the "significant other do ..... like is he just sitting there in his boxers wearing an egg stained vest pulling the plums off himself most of the day

Then we get regaled about the minor successes the hubby has encountered in the back garden putting up a shed or dropping the kids off at training while yer one is simultaneously inventing a new form of yoga and writing a lifrstyle article for a Sunday supplement etc etc

Fair play I tried to get you twiching and you didn't bite.
    But wouldn't it be great having a coffee with you and going hubby hubby hubby and top it off hubby he's great he's the best without your hubby you'd be nothing you'd be a lost soul in this world without hubby hubby hubby you'd be a failure. With all the twitching you'd be doing people would think you were mad or afflicted and remember concesus would be your poor hubby has a lot to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Any word that's in the dictionary. We should start a new language.

Hosfanihed (in old language means Hello in greeting the female)

Hosdiched. (Means Hello when greeting the male)

Are they pronounced the way I think they are? :)

MOH wrote: »
    Are they pronounced the way I think they are? :)

Definitely what other way could you pronounce them. Don't they just roll of the tongue

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Prep and epic. Not fond of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

While I'm not one for censorship and arbitrarily banning words, I've always had a aversion to the word 'snog'. It just doesn't do the deed any justice. I find it rather obnoxious actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

if not said already then "literally" great word to be fair but literally 90% of the time you hear it its being used incorrectly 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"I don't care"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

flazio wrote: »
    "I don't care"

"I literally don't care so"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'Cool' as in trendy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Drinkipoo,one of my mate's wife said it last night when she wanted one.

Drinkipoo,one of my mate's wife said it last night when she wanted one.

But who did she want to give it to her?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    But who did she want to give it to her?

That is a discussion for another day!But it did grind my gears for some reason.

That is a discussion for another day!But it did grind my gears for some reason.

Its just an awful word. I know someone that used the word a lot and they referred to their husband as "Poodle". So imagine "Can you get me a drinkipoo Poodle" and how that would grind your gears.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Its just an awful word. I know someone that used the word a lot and they referred to their husband as "Poodle". So imagine "Can you get me a drinkipoo Poodle" and how that would grind your gears.

She obviously wore the trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

iamstop wrote: »
    While I'm not one for censorship and arbitrarily banning words, I've always had a aversion to the word 'snog'. It just doesn't do the deed any justice. I find it rather obnoxious actually.

Agree totally. It conjures up images of the back of a smelly hall with rain dripping down from a leak in the old roof.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Agree totally. It conjures up images of the back of a smelly hall with rain dripping down from a leak in the old roof.

Those were the days................ if only :)

Advertisement