Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ordinary Level Physics

• 20-11-2015 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I'm in junior cert & we have to decide our subjects for next year (5th year) soon. I've decided on 6, but I need a science subject. I hate biology & can't stand it so I was thinking of Physics or Chemistry. The problem is that I'm in pass maths. I'm doing higher level for everything else and I'm leaning towards the arts for college anyways but I have an interest in physics. I know I won't be able for honours physics, so I'm wondering is it possible for me to do pass physics while I do pass maths? Also what does pass chemistry entail? I'm not the most naturally gifted mathematician! But I try my best. Help is very much appreciated! Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do you *need* a science subject or is it a policy in your school that all students study a science subject for the LC?

I only ask as you say you don't like science and plan to do arts courses in college. If you are not interested in anything science wise in third level, why not pick something else? You only need a science subject if you plan on doing a course that requires a science subject as a requirement for entry to the course.

I'm all for keeping options open, but if you don't have an interest in anything in this area then maybe there isn't much point and another subject may serve you better.

In terms of taking physics, if you decide to take it I wouldn't write off higher level just yet. There is quite a bit of maths in the course, but a lot of it is using formulas (which are provided in your maths tables) to solve problems. You won't be learning any new maths. Many of the questions on the exam use maths, but you can also lean to the questions that focus on theory if you find that easier.

I have had students do ordinary level maths and higher level physics and get on OK. I'd imagine that there will be only one physics class in your school if it's like most schools and you won't have to make a decision about level until half way through sixth year anyway.

What kind of grades would you be getting in OL maths at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerard98

Orlaith_R wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm in junior cert & we have to decide our subjects for next year (5th year) soon. I've decided on 6, but I need a science subject. I hate biology & can't stand it so I was thinking of Physics or Chemistry. The problem is that I'm in pass maths. I'm doing higher level for everything else and I'm leaning towards the arts for college anyways but I have an interest in physics. I know I won't be able for honours physics, so I'm wondering is it possible for me to do pass physics while I do pass maths? Also what does pass chemistry entail? I'm not the most naturally gifted mathematician! But I try my best. Help is very much appreciated! Thanks all.

The maths in physics isn't that bad but at the same time isn't too easy. I have lads beside me who have done ordinary level science and maths together for the JC who are passing in honours now but it isnt a walk in a park for them.
    Talk to your science teacher that you have now and ask him what science they think would suit your style the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Orlaith_R

Thanks for replies. A science is necessary in my school. Well right now I'm around a high C in OL maths, but as my teacher knows I can easily get at least a high B & with some study possibly an A. But I'm saying a B so not to get ahead of myself. Is it really possible to pass honours physics with pass maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Orlaith_R wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. A science is necessary in my school. Well right now I'm around a high C in OL maths, but as my teacher knows I can easily get at least a high B & with some study possibly an A. But I'm saying a B so not to get ahead of myself. Is it really possible to pass honours physics with pass maths?

It is possible. It will depend on how much work you put into it. You can choose your questions carefully to focus on certain topics on the exam to reduce the amount of calculations.

This is all a long way off. You might find that the calculations are not as bad as you think once you are in the physics class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Orlaith_R

Thank you. I have some time to decide but this has certainly helped my decision. Thanks for replying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Tbh all the equations can be got from the log table.
    All the maths can be done using a calculator.
    It's just interpreting the information.

Advertisement