Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abuse

Options
  • 21-09-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Do individuals not realise or recognise behaviors they are the recipient of in a relationship is abusive, younger people have grown up with a lot of education, access to social media, and access to information for example https://spunout.ie. There is a lot resources explaining what abuse is.

Its not about physical abuse which most people do recognise as abuse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Are you blaming victims of abuse for not realising they are being abused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

After Hours 10am on a Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I take it you're talking about emotional abuse. Its not that easy to recognise, especially if you've grown up in a home where its the norm, it makes you more vulnerable and abusers are great at recognising that.

Abuse is insidious. Its often something that can start really small and minor and gradually builds over time. There's grown adults in relationships who can't recognise or get out of these types of relationships, how can you expect a young person to be any better at recognising it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You might need to give more information OP. Your post is quite vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Are you blaming victims of abuse for not realising they are being abused?

No not at all, I am wondering I suppose why they do not recognise it as abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

mariaalice wrote: »
    No not at all, I am wondering I suppose why they do not recognise it as abuse.

Because the abuser makes them believe they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is education other than a social construct?

IIRC some education promotes FMG

Access to SM has not helped in this area in the main

Resources about abuse come with a political/social/historical bias

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I'm trying desperately to understand what you mean.

Are you asking why people don't realise they are being emotionally manipulated because they should know better because of websites like Spunout?

If that is indeed your premise, then I would suggest you haven't a clue what emotional abuse is or how it is carried out.

You might need to give more information OP. Your post is quite vague.

Young people in a relationship, giving their boyfriend or girlfriend passwords so they can check their contact and see who they contact online at some level particularly with access to all the information we have now, do they not realise this might not be what happens in a normal relationship and a groce invasion of privacy.

I know its a complex area and the role of ready available information I find interesting but somehow the person can not see it applying to themselves

Maybe information is not enough its need life expierence to reconsise what is and what is not abuse?

I'm trying desperately to understand what you mean.

Are you asking why people don't realise they are being emotionally manipulated because they should know better because of websites like Spunout?

If that is indeed your premise, then I would suggest you haven't a clue what emotional abuse is or how it is carried out.

Genuinely as well as sex education should young people give education about relationships about relationships which would cover things like abuse and what is abuse and what is not abuse in an intimate relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Its a hugely complex question.

Take a well rounded confident individual, lock them in a house with an abuser, and they may well recognise immediately that they are being abused.

Take someone with a background of being abused, learning survival and coping mechanisms, lock them in a house with an abuser and they will revert straight to trying to protect themselves.

But no one gets suddenly locked into an abusive relationship. Its the Frog in Boiling Water example. You throw a frog into hot water, he will jump out immediately. Put him in cold water and heat it and he will stay a lot longer than he should.

Abusers pick victims, they dont start out showing their true colours. They use abusive tactics over time, isolation, making the victim think they deserve it, they normalise it. Denial is very strong, and so is fear.

I come from an abusive background and I would run a mile from a drinker or anything related to alcoholic abuse. But I have been in abusive relationships since that I did not realise were abusive because it was a different type of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Young people in a relationship, giving their boyfriend or girlfriend passwords so they can check their contact and see who they contact online at some level particularly with access to all the information we have now, do they not realise this might not be what happens in a normal relationship and a groce invasion of privacy.

I know its a complex area and the role of ready available information I find interesting but somehow the person can not see it applying to themselves

Maybe information is not enough its need life expierence to reconsise what is and what is not abuse?

That's not always abusive though and that's the problem. Its about context. Lots of people have access to their partners email or social media but don't misuse it. Others do. So its not the act itself that is abusive its the power and control behind it.

All you have to do is look at the personal issues page, there are lots of posts there about things that someone has experienced from their partner and they are asking if its abuse, some replies say yes and some say no. Its impossible to tell. Sometimes you end up thinking the poster is over sensitive or looking to self sabotage the relationship by seeing problems where none exist....that's how abusers are able to get away with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Genuinely as well as sex education should young people give education about relationships about relationships which would cover things like abuse and what is abuse and what is not abuse in an intimate relationship.

But the education is there. It's called life. People experience all sorts of behaviours in life and most learn from that. And that's good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

Spunout.ie gets massive funding from the government, in six figure range per year. Must be big right? Well check out their Twitter page, tweets get around 2 or 3 interactions. There's no one actually engaging with it. It's a nice scam and a perfect example of the cushy bs that the Irish government throws money at.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

They turn everything you accuse them of around and accuse you of it. They project. They tell you you're crazy or they make you feel crazy for being upset or feeling abused in any way. They make you question your own reality and your sanity. They make you believe you are the one at fault. That's not something reading a webpage about abuse can easily undo.

That sort of thing thrives on ambiguity so there is definitely a role for a clear and unambiguous education to teenagers about what is abuse and what is not abuse in an intimate relationship.

That sort of thing thrives on ambiguity so there is definitely a role for a clear and unambiguous education to teenagers about what is abuse and what is not abuse in an intimate relationship.

What may be abusive in one relationship may not be in another. Its not black and white.

ranto_boy wrote: »
    Spunout.ie gets massive funding from the government, in six figure range per year. Must be big right? Well check out their Twitter page, tweets get around 2 or 3 interactions. There's no one actually engaging with it. It's a nice scam and a perfect example of the cushy bs that the Irish government throws money at.

How would you get the education across to teenagers and young people?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

I'm not sure what's that has to do with the price of eggs.

Therapy - therapy for everyone, through their teenage years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Why does everybody need therapy in their teenage years? As there all individuals leading individual lives with all different circumstances, not everybody is emotionally abused. Life is never the same for the majority of people at any time. And I would think that if therapy was given to all teenagers they would be the first to complain about being objectified.
    I think Emotional abuse in a relationship only lasts as long as the emotionally abused person is willing to put up with it.

Kylta wrote: »
    Why does everybody need therapy in their teenage years? As there all individuals leading individual lives with all different circumstances, not everybody is emotionally abused. Life is never the same for the majority of people at any time. And I would think that if therapy was given to all teenagers they would be the first to complain about being objectified.
    I think Emotional abuse in a relationship only lasts as long as the emotionally abused person is willing to put up with it.

Therapy for every teen is a bit far fetched alright

Therapy for every teen is a bit far fetched alright

Why? One hour per week on the school curriculum. You asked how best to get the message across.

Therapy can benefit everyone - even those not suffering emotional abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't know about therapy but perhaps some education on warning signs of abuse would be of benefit. Yes, it's true sometimes a red flag isn't an actual red flag but knowing the red flags will allow people not feel paranoid about it when they feel something's wrong with the way they're being treated.

But it's obviously more complex than this because a lot of it is to do with the confidence to walk away from these relationships.

I wonder if abusers always recognise what they are doing as abuse too? We think of education as benefiting and empowering the abused. I wonder if it might potentially prevent some abuse happening in the first place too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

eviltwin wrote: »
    I take it you're talking about emotional abuse. Its not that easy to recognise, especially if you've grown up in a home where its the norm, it makes you more vulnerable and abusers are great at recognising that.

Abuse is insidious. Its often something that can start really small and minor and gradually builds over time. There's grown adults in relationships who can't recognise or get out of these types of relationships, how can you expect a young person to be any better at recognising it?

Indeed, if you've grown up in a home being the scapegoat your boundaries are already weak to non-existent and you are 100% correct in saying abusers can spot that a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Abusers always make their victims carry the shame that belongs alone to the abuser. In that way they isolate them from reaching out for help.

I wonder if abusers always recognise what they are doing as abuse too? We think of education as benefiting and empowering the abused. I wonder if it might potentially prevent some abuse happening in the first place too?

100% agree.

Learned behaviours are so ingrained people act without thinking. In some cases this means taking on the role of the abuser without "intending" it to be this way.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Indeed, if you've grown up in a home being the scapegoat your boundaries are already weak to non-existent and you are 100% correct in saying abusers can spot that a mile away.

Its like magnetic attraction - or how it was explained to me - like doing a dance with someone that knows all the same moves you do.

An abusee meets an abuser and they BOTH feel comfortable and familiar in the dance moves because its how they both learned how to behave at a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

hayoc wrote: »
    100% agree.

Learned behaviours are so ingrained people act without thinking. In some cases this means taking on the role of the abuser without "intending" it to be this way.

100% disagree with this.
    I think abusers intend very much everything they do.

Advertisement