Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deceased wealthy people estate values published in the newspapers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Charlie Haughey was a thief.

Simple as.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20021191.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Charlie Haughey was a thief.

Simple as.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20021191.html

Paper never refused ink.

There is no evidence that he didn't use the excess for future treatments or benefit to the Lenihans either. There is no proof eitherways.

Haughey is readily despised in Cork, so any mud slinging from the Examiner is hardly surprising.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Simply no.

The credit crunch was created by greedy New York bankers.

Nothing to do with CJ, get your facts right.

Everyone was chasing the bubble back then, he died in 2006 having fought cancer since 1996. Very unfair ( and shallow and narrow sighted) to throw stones at CJ over the credit crunch, shame on you. For the record, the credit crunch initiated and was realised after he died.

Also, it is extremely fickle ( and patronising )of you to blame the entire raison d'etre of both a political movement and a nations' financial policy, on one man....? I mean, are you complimenting him or chastising him?

the credit crunch did not cause Ireland's over-sized property bubble. it was simply a factor in it popping.

even without the credit crunch it was going to pop, there was going to be no "soft landing".

the factors that caused the bubble to form and more importantly let it get out of control completely are what caused the damage.

the CJ-led culture in FF and the effects of that described in my previous post were certainly a factor.

glasso wrote: »
    the CJ-led culture in FF and the effects of that described in my previous post were certainly a factor.

At least you are at last admitting he was a forward thinking pioneer who people adored and looked up to. He was the catalyst for Irish economic progression.

One of the all time greats.

I win.:)

At least you are at last admitting he was a forward thinking pioneer who people adored and looked up to. He was the catalyst for Irish economic progression.

When delusion knows no bounds.

• Advertisement

When delusion knows no bounds.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

That's a fantastic quote to have in mind in the case of CJ and his actions / modus operandi alright!

Cheers

That's a fantastic quote to have in mind in the case of CJ and his actions / modus operandi alright!

Cheers

No worries. I am more than happy to keep you enlightened. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's all carefully managed to avoid inheritance tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Are you a relation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

mariaalice wrote: »
    The thing about Charlie haughty, looking at his circumstance an accountant and politician who ended up as Taoiseach, he married a well off a woman from a well off family, he never has a business of his own or another way of making money other than politics.

The trajectory of his life should have been a large house on the north side with its own grounds basically wealthy middle class, not the horses, not the yacht, instead of the island it would have been a holiday home in West Cork or Galway, not the Charvet shirts.

So therefore he acquired his lifestyle by deceit and that makes him a crook.

Agree, though just to correct you on one small point, he did have a business of his own as he was a partner in a firm of accountants when still quite a young man (if I recall correctly, Haughey Boland was its name).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What about engendering a culture of cute-hoorism, government collusion with developers, bankers, bribes, facilitating complete lack of oversight etc which effectively played a fair part in a €120 billion national debt bill which we still have after the Ireland buying-and-selling-land-and-houses-to-each-other ponzi scheme collapsed.

Dont forget his other little tricks such as getting the ESB to fit a generator to his island home for free, allegedly on some kind of a trial; an air exclusion zone declared around the island,(later revoked)and Air Corps helis used to carry building materials to the island. He was a great man for pressurising people to support his son's helicopter company. Ask former Irish Helicopters employees about it.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Agree, though just to correct you on one small point, he did have a business of his own as he was a partner in a firm of accountants when still quite a young man (if I recall correctly, Haughey Boland was its name).

indeed, and it was very handy for facilitating CJ's unusual financial dealings subsequently.

https://magill.ie/archive/accounting-charles-haughey-finances-and-frozen-assets

there was a bit of a panic when the firm was going to be subsumed into Deloitte & Touche

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/deloitte-touche-man-tied-to-haughey-finances-1.1084431

Advertisement