Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It wasn't July

Options
  • 01-08-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭

Weather wise, this has been the most depressing July I ever experienced.

Here in the west of Ireland, of Wild Atlantic Way fame, it pissed down rain every day for the whole month of July ever single day.

I'm not talking about showers here, I'm taking about wall to wall rain all day ever day for days and days non stop.

That means no direct sunlight. None whatsoever. No sunshine. In July.

The weird thing is, this happens, and no one brings the subject up.

But Greta thinks she can change the weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Agreed. This month I was gonna spend on doing the back and front garden but every singke weekend its been lashing out. Miserable month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

The last two years have spoiled ye. This is July. This is Ireland. Bring a plastic sheet with sleeves in it tucked into the pocket of your shorts everywhere you go.

It mightened look like it, but, itll rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Who's this Greta you speak of? Never heard of her.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Looking ok next Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    August yeah, but hey that’s some good news.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Was on a roadtrip round connemara two weeks ago, blistering all morning and afternoon, rained like a pig that night. I might, for once have had my timing right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

AllForIt wrote: »

Here in the west of Ireland, of Wild Atlantic Way fame, it pissed down rain every day for the whole month of July ever single day.

I'm not talking about showers here, I'm taking about wall to wall rain all day ever day for days and days non stop.

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/ireland

Quote from site

The island of Ireland has an oceanic climate, cool and damp, cloudy and rainy throughout the year.

Rainfall is frequent throughout the island, but especially along the west coast, where it rains on average even more than once every two days; rainfall is more abundant on the slopes of the western hills, where it exceeds 2,000 millimeters (80 inches) per year. In Galway, on the west coast, 1,150 mm (45.5 in) of rain fall per year; in Cork, on the south coast, 1,200 mm (48 in). The least rainy area is the eastern one, where Dublin is located: here the rainfall is around 760 mm (30 in) per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Was on a roadtrip round connemara two weeks ago, blistering all morning and afternoon, rained like a pig that night. I might, for once have had my timing right.

I'm curious. Whats a round trip in commemaara. Like what's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I got out for some exercise everyday, probably only rained on once.

What's the problem?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A roadtrip out from galway by barna, coast road to clifden via ballyconneely, out to leenane, back to maam cross, oughterard, moycullen and back to galway

A roadtrip out from galway by barna, coast road to clifden via ballyconneely, out to leenane, back to maam cross, oughterard, moycullen and back to galway

Sound like a nice route for a cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I had the best seatrout fishing since the early 2000's

The river's were well up, but I'd say well get a really mild winter and a warm autumn...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

HOW DARE YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

No idea that what the problem is.

But everyone else seems to be complaining about their problems, so, why should I.
    I think a lot of the problem is the way the month of July was forecast.
    Remember the talk/headlines back in June, 'heatwave in July' along with 'there will be only 4 days with rainfall in July'.

People took this on board and are now pissed off that the experts got it so wrong yet again.
    Another example, last Wednesday (29th) had been forecasted, the previous Sunday, to be a very good day, 'dry and humid with good sunshine developing in the afternoon with temps of 20-22 degrees in moderate to fresh southerly winds'
    What transpired was one of the worst days of wind and rain this year, at least in the mid-west anyway.
    If our forecasters get the calls this wrong, it's little wonder people become pissed off. It was only 3 days ahead after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

HOW DARE YOU

Gretta, Covid next Aliens will visit us...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,632 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fcuk 2020, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Bull**** if course, been an average July, scorching or raining, one causing the other, a mini florida

I'm walnut colour, all thanks to the sun of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe it was a blessing in disguise??

cause if the weather was fine you would have had loads of people out & about spreading covid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fryup wrote: »

cause if the weather was fine you would have had loads of people out & about spreading covid

its having people inside that spreads viruses. that is why people get the flu in winter.

It sometimes surprises me that Irish people don't know our own weather. We get the same rainfall in June as we do in November.

Our dry months are April and May, and this year was the classic example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

fryup wrote: »

Well 'the experts' told you that so it must be true...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It sometimes surprises me that Irish people don't know our own weather. We get the same rainfall in June as we do in November.

Also tend to overlook the advantages of living in a temperate climate and how rough most other countries have it with extreme weather changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Our dry months are April and May, and this year was the classic example of that.

You beat me to it. Before having a new pump installed our septic tank always flooded in two months of the year. July and November .

Nice when the sun shines in July but its definitely a big month for rainfall. We get the Atlantic weather and the tail end of anything coming over from the Americas.

We had a caravan in the west when the kids were small and July was always the same. Nice spells of sunshine where you would get out to the playground or for a walk or an ice cream or whatever. Then lashing rain later on. It is strange to see Europe in the grip of a heatwave and we're frozen here!! We had a French student here a few years back and she would be sending back pictures of her beside the fire and her own family would be on the beach.

I hope August is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The weather potato

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The weather never bothers me one bit .... lifes to short.... I've never understood people who for example wont go out running or cycling because it's raining....
    I always say what's first thing you do when you come in from a run or cycle..... have a shower...

Buy quality gear and do what ever you want what ever the weather unless its dangerous to do so.

The one thing I did do end of last year was buy a smart cycle trainer and subscribed to zwift .... I have become a big fan of that especially during lock down .

juneg wrote: »
    You beat me to it. Before having a new pump installed our septic tank always flooded in two months of the year. July and November .
    It's something to do with warm air from the continent, isn't it? I remember learning this in school, but the details are hazy.

I don't think I have any clear memories of dry July, it's often wet or at least very muggy and humid.

Hoping for a dry August and September seems much more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Pretty normal weather. The reality of weather in the west of Ireland may undercut people hoping to move there to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

It's something to do with warm air from the continent, isn't it? I remember learning this in school, but the details are hazy.

I don't think I have any clear memories of dry July, it's often wet or at least very muggy and humid.

Hoping for a dry August and September seems much more realistic.

I think its all that spring thaw draining into the Mississippi delta and being picked up and brought here on the gulf stream. Warm waters keep our coasts clear of ice in winter too. Warm waters in July brings warm rain. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Don't all you whine bags think it's about time you stopped crying like little babies about the rain, and just adapt to our climate?

We've been inhabiting this Island for 1,000's of years... and some of you guys are just seemingly completely unable to acclimatize to your natural habitat!

Imagine a tiger or a gorilla getting depressed, because it was raining again today... in the feckin rainforest... where it has lived for centuries!! :pac:

I've been outdoors enjoying our beautiful country for the whole month of July... there may have been grey skies over my head, but there were none in my head!

I think most people who complain about the weather are just mentally weak... or maybe I'm just mentally far stronger than all you whiney babies! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting fact today OP that Feb 2020 had more sunshine that July 2020 in Ireland.

Kinda sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter

Advertisement