Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only Fools & Horses

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I appreciate I am in the minority for Miami Twice but I was making the general point that the quality of the programme did not deteriorate following series three, it had to revive and keep relevant, and the introduction of the female partners was crucial to its development.

Exactly. If a show doesn't change a little then it becomes stale. Of course, making sufficient change to maintain audience interest without so much that the show changes entirely is a difficult feat to accomplish.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I appreciate I am in the minority for Miami Twice but I was making the general point that the quality of the programme did not deteriorate following series three, it had to revive and keep relevant, and the introduction of the female partners was crucial to its development.

They should never have made more after the auction. That was poorly written in particular Damien was irritating and just used for silly one liners. The episode where they go to the French town and it appears Albert may have fathered the place just showed the wit was gone and tired old gags were used.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They should never have made more after the auction. That was poorly written in particular Damien was irritating and just used for silly one liners. The episode where they go to the French town and it appears Albert may have fathered the place just showed the wit was gone and tired old gags were used.

Yep, I stated I didn't rate the last three episodes. They should have ended after the auction. Of course, the deaths of Buster Merryfield and Kenneth MacDonald were massive losses to the production and obviously took away from the episodes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yep, I stated I didn't rate the last three episodes. They should have ended after the auction. Of course, the deaths of Buster Merryfield and Kenneth MacDonald were massive losses to the production and obviously took away from the episodes too.

yeah when he died the nags head was never the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

That's like saying it was crucial to the development of Fawlty Towers for Basil to get Sybil pregnant.

:D

Another moment where the shows heart came through was the adoption episode because of the ending. The best lines in that episode is Boycies speech which is superb and also uncle Albert "speaking" German to a very confused and pregnant German girl. "Vot is your name" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

That's like saying it was crucial to the development of Fawlty Towers for Basil to get Sybil pregnant.

:D

Fawlty Towers had 12 episodes. OFAH ran over 20 years, I don't think it would have been realistic that Del and Rodney, would be still trying to pull birds in dodgy nightclubs for the later years (maybe Del, but definitely not Rodders :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Another moment where the shows heart came through was the adoption episode because of the ending. The best lines in that episode is Boycies speech which is superb and also uncle Albert "speaking" German to a very confused and pregnant German girl. "Vot is your name" haha

Trying to sell a baby made Del come across really badly in that episode.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Trying to sell a baby made Del come across really badly in that episode.

Well for the majority of the episode yeah but did the end not make up for it ?

I've remembered another great episode about the statue of the Virgin Mary crying and dell pretending he was getting signs when it was the roof missing that was the reason.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well for the majority of the episode yeah but did the end not make up for it ?

I've remembered another great episode about the statue of the Virgin Mary crying and dell pretending he was getting signs when it was the roof missing that was the reason.

It's a superb episode. I'm just highlighting that that's probably the lowest depth to which Del sinks to over the show's entire run.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I absolutely love the episode where Del Rodney and Grandad are staying in a cottage in a howling storm and there's a mental patient that has escaped on the loose. Rodney looks out the window and sees him and is explaining to Del when Del asks was he sure it wasn't a reflection. I love the chandelier episode too. Absolute perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

As a massive fan of the show, I disagree.

I actually love the Miami Twice episodes. The character of "Don Occhetti" was supposed to be a caricature of Del, that was the whole point of the plot.

Leaving that aside, some of the best episodes featured the female partners and/or uncle Albert such as: Jolly Boys Outing, The unlucky Winner is..(Rodney pretends to be 14 to win a holiday abroad,
    Danger UXD (the blow-up dolls), Stage Fright (Tony Angelino).

Then some underrated episodes: The Longest Night (the shadow), Chain Gang (Arnie and the gold chains) and To Hull and Back.

The only episodes I can't rewatch are: A Royal Flush, of which John Sullivan himself had regrets about and I don't rate the final three episodes.

Obviously I disagree. The peak years were the first 3 seasons. I think Buster Merryfield was a wonderful actor. He and Lennard Pearce were from a long gone era of stage and theatre acting.
    At the core of what made those early seasons so enjoyable was you had 3 generations of actors gelling so well on screen.

Lennard Pearce/Buster Merryfield -
    Pearce was on the go since the early 30s and actually shook hands with Hitler after a show in Germany.

David Jason - had 20 years worth of TV work behind him by the time OFAH came around.

Nicholas Lyndhurst was 18 or 19 when he filmed the first episode.

In the later seasons they moved away from the core 3 driving every episode. Del was the main character and the other two were more than able support actors.
    It was never as intelligent or witty once they move on from that.
    The stolen microwaves and chandelier episodes are some of the best comedy ever put on television. Nothing from the subsequent years come even close to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Rodney character did get annoying when they are started to change / develop. Not always of course. But Rodney was best was he was wearing his camo jacket, trying to score, being dopey, a total hypocite when it came to the "this is immoral" but would gladly take half the money off Del etc :p

When he got with Cassandra that's when the character really upp'ed the ponce factor. Like Del trying to be a yuppie was funny. Like it was played as if he didnt have a clue.
    But some things Rondey would say would make you go shut up already lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What kind of financial director goes out for an emperor burger and comes back with a cheeseburger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

The gween gween gwass of hooooome :pac:

Uncle Albert "How come you didn't know he had trouble with his aaarrrrs?":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Absolutely love this show. Unlike many on here, I actually prefer Uncle Albert to Grandad. Personal favourite is Peckham Spring, but there isn't a bad episode to be honest (even Miami Twice and the final 3 have their moments).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Delboy at the Dentist was funny. Trying in vain to leave as the Dentist wanted to extract his tooth

Delboy : I can't do it now, I gotta go,
    Dentist: getting needle ready, '' it won't take long''
    Delboy; but my brother is waiting in the car''
    Dentist : ''Just a little prick''
    Delboy: '' so you know him then? ''

Minder ripped that joke off. Arfur in the dentist's chair bricking it, the dentist raises the needle and says 'just a little prick'. Terry replies 'yeah, but inee gotta nice smile?'

I loved the episode where Del, Rodney and Grandad go to visit their auntie who they haven't seen in years. They each have a bath and she cooks them dinner and then finally says 'just one thing I'd like to know, who are you?'. The real auntie had moved away years ago :D

The Rodney character did get annoying when they are started to change / develop. Not always of course. But Rodney was best was he was wearing his camo jacket, trying to score, being dopey, a total hypocite when it came to the "this is immoral" but would gladly take half the money off Del etc :p

When he got with Cassandra that's when the character really upp'ed the ponce factor. Like Del trying to be a yuppie was funny. Like it was played as if he didnt have a clue.
    But some things Rondey would say would make you go shut up already lol.

To be fair, the show was just reflecting a change in British culture at the time. Thatcher had deregulated the city so there was no shortage of yuppies around looking and acting like Del was in the show.

There's a reason that a lot of British comedies end after a dozen episodes or so; you can only get so much out of a static premise. OFAH changed and we got some cracking episodes out of it like The Jolly Boys Outing.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Uncle Albert

" I think in some way she loved me too. She never seemed to charge me as much as the other lads "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

One of my favourites where Rodney is talking to his girlfriend...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Actually Triggers cousin is my favourite..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a superb episode. I'm just highlighting that that's probably the lowest depth to which Del sinks to over the show's entire run.

The bit where he sabotaged Rodney's relationship with the "posh tart" he met down the market. Del did a deal with her father where he took a few quid to balls it up for rodney and make sure rodney didn't see yer wan again. That was bad.

It was one of the movies as well.

The bit where he sabotaged Rodney's relationship with the "posh tart" he met down the market. Del did a deal with her father where he took a few quid to balls it up for rodney and make sure rodney didn't see yer wan again. That was bad.

It was one of the movies as well.

But then again Rodney and Grandad pulled a similar stunt on Delboy. Remember when he moved his bird in to the flat, the two lads hated her so they convinced Del that she had poisoned her first husband in order to break them up.

But then again Rodney and Grandad pulled a similar stunt on Delboy. Remember when he moved his bird in to the flat, the two lads hated her so they convinced Del that she had poisoned her first husband in order to break them up.

True enough. Del was miserable with her and he didn’t need much convincing on that one though.

Yeah but that turned out to be true.

H. H. Asquith

We don't actually know that. It looked like it might have been true and even if it wasn't true, Pauline was a wagon. But They put Trigger up make the phone call telling Del her previous 2 husbands died in suspicious circumstances. We never know if it's true or not.

No, remember Trigger rang Del and told him he had heard that his girlfriend had killed her first husband. Rodders admitted later that is was a lie, he had put Trig up to it 'for a laugh'.

You'd think that when Del was fleeing the flat to escape from her and leaving her a letter telling her to sling her hook and calling her a psycho that Rodney and Grandad would have come clean about the joke.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I've not seen that one for years.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement