Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

it was his "God given right" to sail on the River Liffey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I love that his address is Captains Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sounds like good craic tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

'When the gardaí arrived they were told to "f*** off"'.

Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So that explains that picture of the guy standing bollocks naked on the quays with the Guards around from a couple of years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Freeman on the land!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Diffuse the situation", journalist needs to go back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

custodial sentence a bit harsh, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Should have made 'em walk the plank ...................... because they both acted liked planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

What shall we do with the drunken sailors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Kivaro wrote: »
    Should have made 'em walk the plank ...................... because they both acted liked planks.

and that's exactly why they got a sentence

if they just apologised for their actions, probably of gotten away with a fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

"Diffuse the situation", journalist needs to go back to school.

Maybe the Garda brought a scented diffuser to the scene because the Liffey stank like hell that summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"However once on dry land, he took off all his clothes because he said there were armed gardaí there and he did not want to get shot. He was also arrested." :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ipso wrote: »
    Freeman on the land!

"The men were convicted of careless and drunk sailing and a breach of the peace under Maritime Law,"

was the Garda on his boat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Very harsh imo, great story to read thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Should have seriously assaulted someone in the process. Would have gotten away with a suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ipso wrote: »
    Freeman on the land!

One of those situations where you shouldn’t cite maritime law!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s amazing how many drunk people who are about to be arrested think removing their clothes is the next logical step to take.

theteal wrote: »
    Sounds like good craic tbf

Pity they pixilated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

???

He wanted to go up the river, they sent him up the river. What gives ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It’s amazing how many drunk people who are about to be arrested think removing their clothes is the next logical step to take.

The username gives away the bittersweet lessons Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yer man's excuse for being in the nip. :pac::pac::pac::pac: Fuppin class.

There must have been a right few bottles of water from foreign bottles consumed. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had to laugh at that story , thanks OP for brightening my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Surely they breathalyzed them?

gmisk wrote: »
    Surely they breathalyzed them?

I was wondering about that myself but there's no mention of any sort of testing. Is there even an alcohol limit for 'sailing'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I was wondering about that myself but there's no mention of any sort of testing. Is there even an alcohol limit for 'sailing'?

For sailors? I think the requirement is to be as drunk as you possibly can be.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    For sailors? I think the requirement is to be as drunk as you possibly can be.

One of my Dad's friends who I got to know quite well used to work at sea for most of his life. He was telling me that they got a bottle of Lamb's Navy Rum each per day as part of their rations. Years ago obviously.

He once got onto the wrong boat while blotto and didn't realise he was on the wrong boat for three days. They dropped him off in Malta and arranged to pick him up six weeks later.

During those six weeks, he worked for the Bishop of Malta (not sure of correct title). One of the jobs involved operating the projector in the cinema for the Bishop. The Bishop used to watch every film that was to be played there and decide if it was appropriate. He had a bell and would ring it whenever he saw a scene that he wanted cut out of a film. My Dad's mate would do the cutting. It really was a mad world. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And the whole incident happened around 6am on a summers morning, the two lads must have been pulling an all nighter and then when the sun came up said ah sure lets go do a bit of sailing pissed out of our brains. As you do.

Must say I feel sympathetic for them. We've all done stupid things while drunk, you just dont expect to end up on the national tv news over it ! Two months in prison is a bit harsh too, its not going to really achieve anything and takes up prison spots for the more deserving. Will probably get struck out on appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hilarious.
    This thread has the potential to be legendary.

• Advertisement

Back in my younger days, we used to have "booze crusises" on the Shannon. Great times.

Advertisement