Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cocaine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Good luck finding any consumer items with a completely moral supply line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Good luck finding any consumer items with a completely moral supply line.

Are there any as amoral as cocaine? People really seen to put it out of their minds where this stuff comes from. I was out last week and one of my friends partners is an absolute coke fiend. Didn't stop her shiting on about her ethically sourced diamonds... The hypocrite.

Mooooo wrote: »
    That garda is dead right. Cocaine is everywhere and use is rampant. These gangs supply it and get it from areas of the world with massive problems so those using are directly contributing to the problem. Tbh blaming the government or anything else is only deflecting.

As opposed to deflecting the actions of the gangs/suppliers on to the users of the drugs?
    Are there any as amoral as cocaine? People really seen to put it out of their minds where this stuff comes from. I was out last week and one of my friends partners is an absolute coke fiend. Didn't stop her ****ing on about her ethically sourced diamonds... The hypocrite.

I honestly don't care where a product I buy comes from, and I seriously doubt that you do either, in spite of the moralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I honestly don't care where a product I buy comes from, and I seriously doubt that you do either, in spite of the moralising.

Snorts coke at weekends but makes sure their coffee is Fair Trade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

28 people so far are cocaine users.

Obviously they do - they are the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

28 people so far are cocaine users.

I'd say there are more than that here. They just acknowledge that they've blood on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Do people who buy clothes which are made in chinese sweatshops have blood on their hands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do people who buy clothes which are made in chinese sweatshops have blood on their hands?

This is a classic bull**** false equivalence. No one is defending Chinese (or wherever) sweatshops, are you defending coked up psychopaths and their malicious effects on Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

blackbox wrote: »
    I'm in favour of legalisation of all drugs for adults as it is patently obvious that prohibition doesn't work.

However I recognize that it is a complex issue because of potential cross border smuggling.

Legalisation only has a chance of working if it is approached at EU level.

Not a user...

I agree.

However, I think it's going to take one or two individual countries to get the ball rolling and start the wider EU conversation.

This is a classic bull**** false equivalence. No one is defending Chinese (or wherever) sweatshops, are you defending coked up psychopaths and their malicious effects on Ireland?

Nope, I treat them exactly the same. My point is people are gonna buy it regardless of where it originates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As opposed to deflecting the actions of the gangs/suppliers on to the users of the drugs?

I honestly don't care where a product I buy comes from, and I seriously doubt that you do either, in spite of the moralising
    Of course I care. There are no boys being cut up and dumped across Dublin to facilitate the delivery of any goods to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I can understand people talking about legalising or decriminalising weed, but cocaine?

I don’t get it. Coke is a horrid drug, mixed with any number of toxic **** by equally toxic people. You really want to spend 100s of euros to feel good about yourself and talk complete ****e in a bathroom, for an hour or two at most?

I’d legalise acid, ecstasy and magic mushrooms before coke. There’s an experience to be gained with those, coke just lubes up your ego.

Of course I care. There are no boys being cut up and dumped across Dublin to facilitate the delivery of any goods to me.

So isn't the question basically where does your moral compass lye on the matter?

No matter the product to me as Klaz said, I don't care where it originates. Wheater it's playing games that Blizzard make or if it's clothes that chinese sweatshops had there hand in.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I can understand people talking about legalising or decriminalising weed, but cocaine?

I don’t get it. Coke is a horrid drug, mixed with any number of toxic **** by equally toxic people. You really want to spend 100s of euros to feel good about yourself and talk complete ****e in a bathroom, for an hour or two at most?

I’d legalise acid, ecstasy and magic mushrooms before coke. There’s an experience to be gained with those, coke just lubes up your ego.

Yeah I'm off everything a good while but I always loathed coke. You could always spot the cokeheads when everyone else was on yokes, keeping to themselves, skulking off for a sniff while everyone else was passing and sharing smokes and everything else.
    It's a horrible, selfish, mean drug and the idea of it being "OK" doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Buttonftw is completely correct about coke. It's a mean selfish drug

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I wonder if Ian O'Doherty still believes taking cocaine is a victimless crime?

Glazers Out!

Snorts coke at weekends but makes sure their coffee is Fair Trade...

Fair comment. Cokeheads have no more reason to feel guilty than people who use Nestle preoducts, or drink coca cola, or have an iPhone, or use producys with Palm oil in it and are complicit in the collateral damage caused along their supply chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Steyr 556 wrote: »

I don’t get it. Coke is a horrid drug, mixed with any number of toxic **** by equally toxic people.

Would that be the case if it were legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Of course users are complicit in the deaths and horrors that the drug world has. No market == no supply. Sure you can whine about "prohibition never works, legalise and tax it" (does that extent to heroin? guns? CP?) but at the end of the day, the most power most of us have is with our wallet. Snort all you like, just don't try and act like you've no part in the cycle.

Snort all you like, just don't try and act like you've no part in the cycle.

If there was only the same social disapproval for coke as there is with drink driving.

• Advertisement

If there was only the same social disapproval for coke as there is with drink driving.

Maybe as well legalise it and make it safer for everyone via a reduced speed limit for drink drivers, only on certain routes etc. And make them pay extra for the ability to do so.

Hmm, tax and legalise... Maybe the Healey-Raes are closer to the average boardsie than we all think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

cian68 wrote: »
    Would that be the case if it were legal?

If it were legally produced by fair trade environmentally friendly monks in Switzerland the drug itself would have the same effect: a jumped-up drug for jumped-up people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You mean coked up psychopaths like your daughters primary school teacher or the guy that tiled your bathroom or your dentist.

Because they are the coke users in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I put some diesel in my car today. Is it my fault that there is oil spills by big petroleum companies. I bought a pair of Nikes and and Apple IPhone. Am I now complicit in endorsing child labour. I could go on and on.

We will now get the "it's a watershed moment" bollocks from all quarters and enough is enough and this current trench of sadistic gangs will get caught and jailed. And what will happen to the drug trade. Not a thing.

Nothing will change until it is legalized. You want more murders. Keep it illegal. You want more kids groomed into the lifestyle. Keep it illegal. You're sound with addicts being forced into heinous acts to pay off drug debts. Keep it illegal. You're ok with witness intimidation, scare tactics, harrasing families firndrug debts. Keep it illegal.

We will still be here in 20 years ever more aghast at the acts carried out by these people who are protecting their business until politicians have the actual guts to take the money away from them. By legalizing the feckin lot of it (don't touch it myself, horrible drug).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

circadian wrote: »
    The War on Drugs and prohibition are failed policies and a complete disaster. The Government should have realised this in the 80's when there was a heroin epidemic. Then we had the market flooded with synthetic analogues which were arguablely much more dangerous.

I'm all for legalisation of marijuana and decriminalisation of all other drugs. I do believe, however, anyone caught with large supplies with intent to sell or bypassing any marijuana licencing laws should be handed a heavy sentence.

The school curriculum should be honest and Frank about drugs. Not this drugs are bad approach. More along the lines of how the drugs actually effect you, responsible usage if you do decide to do drugs and the risks involved.

Nightclubs/festivals should be allowed to have drug testing on site.

While I think users contribute to the criminal factor ultimately it falls on successive governments failure to tackle the issue in a mature and responsible way. There will always be a demand, let's at least make it safer for the average joe. After all, addiction is an illness and that also needs to be dealt with in a much better manner than it currently is.

Well said and agree with you completely. In Amsterdam they test your drugs at the door of many clubs and advise you if you're taking too much. The war on drugs will continue to be a losing battle until/unless the approach changes.
    I'm not a fan of cocaine personally. It changes people dramatically and it's so boring being around someone on coke much like it's no fun being around a drunk person. People under the influence always think they're acting five when the reality is most likely the opposite.
    No harm doing it the odd time at a festival or something but people get addicted to coke really quickly and it turns them into an egotistical asshole.
    I'll stick with my Guinness thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Porklife wrote: »
    No harm doing it the odd time at a festival or something but people get addicted to coke really quickly and it turns them into an egotistical asshole.
    I'll stick with my Guinness thank you very much!

To be fair, P, I've seen alcohol turn more people into assholes than coke. They are both very similar drugs in that regard. If you're an asshole it will come out when under the influence of either, if you're not, you're no more likely to be an asshole.

ollkiller wrote: »
    I put some diesel in my car today. Is it my fault that there is oil spills by big petroleum companies. I bought a pair of Nikes and and Apple IPhone. Am I now complicit in endorsing child labour. I could go on and on.

You could, but the endless deflection won't work. On the inside, every coke head knows what the cycle they're helping. Cry and crow all you want, blame the government and call them every name under the Sun but if you're buying, you're endorsing the whole supply trail and the horrors and misery it entails. But sure, whatever it's the weekend right?

You could, but the endless deflection won't work. On the inside, every coke head knows what the cycle they're helping. Cry and crow all you want, blame the government and call them every name under the Sun but if you're buying, you're endorsing the whole supply trail and the horrors and misery it entails. But sure, whatever it's the weekend right?

I'd rather these so called grown adults took some civic responsibility and realised that their selfish hedonism has consequences. Coke isn't going to be made legal in any shape or form, I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that has made it legal across the board.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Which is in itself a leading question, and one following a particular agenda. Guilt.

Collective guilt.

I'm not a cocaine user. Never have been and never will. And I find the notion of collective guilt to be disgusting. So, no, They're not responsible... no more than you're responsible for the priests molesting boys if you're a Christian. :rolleyes:

What utter waffle. That's not the same thing at all. It's not even sophistry, the analogy makes no sense whatsoever.

If you buy cocaine then you're financing the killings which take place in order to retain control of the trade of the cocaine you buy, whether that's in Ireland, in the countries the drug must transit or in the country of origin.

That's not hyperbole. By way of a much tamer analogy, people buy fair trade coffee/clothes/whatever cos they don't want to contribute to the exploitation that occurs in the usual manufacture of those items. People buy free range eggs for the same reasons.

You make choices as a consumer, whatever it is you're buying. If you buy coke, you're contributing to the suffering and violence inflicted to get it up your nose.

Rejection of collective guilt is BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

To be fair, P, I've seen alcohol turn more people into assholes than coke. They are both very similar drugs in that regard. If you're an asshole it will come out when under the influence of either, if you're not, you're no more likely to be an asshole.

That's a good point and you're right. Certain drinks even turn typically lovely people into assholes. I've very rarely seen somebody drink a fair bit of whiskey and not become aggressive and messy.

Advertisement