Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    How do you confuse a bottle of wine with cordial. Isn't one glass and the other plastic? Or can you get glass bottles of cordial?

Both are in the exact same bottle but one is being used for display purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

She had her kids with her...... Is it not a question of maybe, dang one of them wanted the ribena......

Drink orders can get mixed up it's no big deal and why on earth someone would be offended at such and then take it to another level by a thousand to say it's a race thing.....

Seriously we are going to be absolutely overrun with this sh1t and nobody will stand up or do a thing about it as we have tools like her getting all the say....

• Here’s some products a young naive newbie staff member not at all used to drinks might possibly confuse with wine if they didn’t take a second glance in a packed restaurant or bar...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Blackcurrant-Concentrate-Additives-Antioxidants/dp/B00IG7SU3S

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monin-TRTAZ11A-Blackcurrant-250ml/dp/B000VI4OGW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beutelsbacher-Demeter-Blackcurrant-Fruit-Drink-750ml-/362725414002

My memory of staying at the Galway Bay Hotel is that it was rather chaotic, a tad unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Probably some student waiter type that made the mistake but lets entertain Ebun for a moment.

Let's say the the waiter or waitress that chose to pick up blackcurrant juice and serve it was actually racist. Ebun is implying that this person either resents blacks so much that they were willing to **** their work, risk not getting a tip and probably getting a scalding off Ebun if he or she got a complaint.

It's just doesn't add up. This professional victim, Ebun I think is incapable of doing some simple proability analysis of the situation. What is more likely? That some minimum-wage worker is so racist that he or she will serve the wrong drink (I don't even know what the racial connotation is there with the Ribena) that they'll risk their low paid job and not get a tip and a potential verbal warning in order to make some raciallly motivated "joke."

Or... blackcurrant juice looks like wine. Perhaps the red wine was stored in labeless jug? Nope, default to racism. Her deductive reasoning skills are absent. She doesn't even give any charitable or fair benefit of doubt. She can't. Because the hotel gave her a free bottle of wine. But.. I think the free bottle of wine was too much. That's almost admitting there was wrong doing but I understand why. Because with people like Ebun, you it would be like walking on eggshells with her.

Unfortunely she's the non-parody version of this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Oh I get it now!

Blackcurrant....BLACKcurrant

Ha Ha good one

No. It's a dark dark dark dark dark dark dark dark bluecurrant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Racism exists, have seen it and heard people push their ideas many times.
    An actual racist would spit in her wine or put something nasty in it not serve her blackcurrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

People were naive, or ignored, or just too damned comfy to care about what was, and is, happening under their nose.

A passing glance at schools is fairly shocking when you see classes with 50% non-irish.

If you thought that identity politics and extreme group mentality was going to skip us, magically, then just wait till those armies of them grow up and start throwing their weight around about what is and isn't acceptable for Irish people to do in their own country.

If you want a flavour, look to the United States of today. It's a cock step away from the "white party" and the "not white party"

You can't escape human desire to group together and seek power together, so if you have many different groups living amongst each other... Guess what happens? They compete for power, and they'll do what's needed until the numbers are great enough to outright seize control. It's human history.

It's really sad to see it rooted in here now, the seeds are sown. This idiot and her blackcurrant juice will be remembered fondly in time as an innocuous comparison.

Just to add, from listening to younger family members, it's already taking hold in these schools. You can't say this, you can't do that, you have to conform to me. Stuff that you might think isn't happening is already there among children, pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Here’s some products a young naive newbie staff member not at all used to drinks might possibly confuse with wine if they didn’t take a second glance in a packed restaurant or bar...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Blackcurrant-Concentrate-Additives-Antioxidants/dp/B00IG7SU3S

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monin-TRTAZ11A-Blackcurrant-250ml/dp/B000VI4OGW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beutelsbacher-Demeter-Blackcurrant-Fruit-Drink-750ml-/362725414002

My memory of staying at the Galway Bay Hotel is that it was rather chaotic, a tad unprofessional.

That's Galway for you, full of work shy crusty types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I know well what I'd put in that ***********s drink and it wouldn't be pleasant lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Racism exists, have seen it and heard people push their ideas many times.
    An actual racist would spit in her wine or put something nasty in it not serve her blackcurrent.

That is true - crudely racist and to the point. But what if you were just being "funny". Making a "joke" in front of a pal?

I don't know the explanation but it is all strange. Mixing a cordial up with red wine (even for a newbie)? Maybe - but it is really stretching credulity.

I would never have thought of it myself but GetWithIt has at least as plausible an explanation as any other that has been offered. And apparently "blackcurrant" is used by kids in name-calling:

GetWithIt wrote: »
    It’s racist in the same way as when Conor Lenihan told Joe Higgins to stick with the kebabs. It’s an in-joke where you are using race as a means of belittling someone.

The “joke” in this case to identify the customer as a black currant.

I’m not some “woke” new world eejit. This stuff is pretty obvious and people shouldn’t pretend otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

1641 wrote: »
    That is true - crudely racist and to the point. But what if you were just being "funny". Making a "joke" in front of a pal?

I don't know the explanation but it is all strange. Mixing a cordial up with red wine (even for a newbie)? Maybe - but it is really stretching credulity.

I would never have thought of it myself but GetWithIt has at least as plausible an explanation as any other that has been offered. And apparently "blackcurrant" is used by kids in name-calling:

You can look for racism all you want but there was none here this time.

"Dr" Ebun Joseph is simply just toxic and hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I lived in New York for 15 years. You want to experience racism walk around the Bronx or use the public transport. The looks, the sneers. Spitting on the ground when they look at you. Leaving you standing in line ignoring you. It never gets mentioned but most of the people of colour I encountered over there hated white people and weren't afraid to show it.

You can look for racism all you want but there was none here this time.

"Dr" Ebun Joseph is simply just toxic and hateful.

I am not looking for it and didn't see it (at first, anyway). However, the explanations offered for the mix-up do not seem plausible. But I would be more than happy if they are as innocent as suggested.

I am not looking for it and didn't see it (at first, anyway). However, the explanations offered for the mix-up do not seem plausible. But I would be more than happy if they are as innocent as suggested.

Mistaking a display bottle of wine for a real one is more plausible than her imagined version of the event.

I lived in New York for 15 years. You want to experience racism walk around the Bronx or use the public transport. The looks, the sneers. Spitting on the ground when they look at you. Leaving you standing in line ignoring you. It never gets mentioned but most of the people of colour I encountered over there hated white people and weren't afraid to show it.

The disdain among every group, toward every group is palpable over there. Coming out the walls.

The parts you won't find it are those parts where everyone is of the same group and blends in together, culturally, visually, every which way.

Some people outright refuse to accept the instincts of humans, and indeed human history.

How many wars and conflicts and discomfort and antagonism were suffered until people eventually settled into their own satisfactory groups? Centuries, millenia.

And now the prevailing idea is that all that history and human nature can be just fooked to one side in a matter of, what, 10 years? 40 years there, 30 years here. And there'll be no repercussions?!

Mind blowing. But what is sown is later reaped. All you need do is observe how this plays out, everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mistaking a display bottle of wine for a real one is more plausible than her imagined version of the event.
    But why would a display bottle of wine be full of blackcurrant. I could understand the mix up if they were using a glass cordial bottle and weren't paying attention. At a stretch it's plausible.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

beejee wrote: »
    It's really sad to see it rooted in here now, the seeds are sown. This idiot and her blackcurrant juice will be remembered fondly in time as an innocuous comparison.
    Mind blowing. But what is sown is later reaped. All you need do is observe how this plays out, everywhere.

Stop stoking panic. It makes you sound like an imbecile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

I know a kid that cant pronounce Rs, the don't let the kid say blackcurrant anymore after "the incident"

But why would a display bottle of wine be full of blackcurrant. I could understand the mix up if they were using a glass cordial bottle and weren't paying attention. At a stretch it's plausible.

The clue is in the name paddy "display bottle of wine".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

But why would a display bottle of wine be full of blackcurrant.

Because it is cheaper than wine and looks the same?

• Advertisement

All this fookery about what might have happened is pointless.

It's all about power. This thing has nothing to do with bleeding wine versus ribena, it's a micro part of a manoeuvre to gain power.

The power to have say over others. The power of control.

This power play enables more power moves from others of a similar disposition.

It has already established that "hotels" won't push back if you follow this manoeuvre, it has established or reinforced that it's absolutely a-ok to make fools of the Irish without repercussions, it has established that it's 100% fine to publicly advertise these facts, to set a precedent for others to follow.

Watch it happen more, watch as different groups begin to assert influence as part of their group. Watch as the ground is tested, and then taken, bit by bit, quicker and bolder as it goes.

This person might be thick enough to believe her own bs, but at the root of it all is something far more primordial and insidious, something instinctual. We all have it in us.

Ribena! It's nothing do with it :p

Fake display bottles ( when used) are usually placed on very high or otherwise out of reach shelves, not around the service counter. For very good reasons.

All this fookery about what might have happened is pointless.

It's all about power. This thing has nothing to do with bleeding wine versus ribena, it's a micro part of a manoeuvre to gain power.

The power to have say over others. The power of control.

This power play enables more power moves from others of a similar disposition.

p

Maybe - but if the blackcurrant wasn't simply a bizarre mistake then who was making the power play?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I really hope the galway bay hotel sue her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The clue is in the name paddy "display bottle of wine".
    Clearly I've never worked in a place that has display bottles of wine filled with blackcurrant! I find that bizarre.

Maybe - but if the blackcurrant wasn't simply a bizarre mistake then who was making the power play?

And we reach the point.

There's no such thing as different groups mixing without a constant battle for power. As said, the United States is hellish as it stands on a day to day basis because of it.

Who in ireland, for example, thought it would be great craic to have a "race relations" segment on national television. Literally created problems for ourselves, for absolutely no gain or reason.

That said, the idea that some loon took offence because of a mistaken drinks order is Barking mad.

What if the ribena was a "white nun" wine would that be offensive too? What about black tower? What if a man the next seat over was eating blackjacks? Would an Asian be horrified if they were served creme de bananes? The list is practically infinite.

It's ludicrous. The only thing more ludicrous is people searching on her behalf for "reasons". It's a scam, and it's sad to see people fall foul so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Clearly I've never worked in a place that has display bottles of wine filled with blackcurrant! I find that bizarre.
    People are so desperate to be outraged by her that they're ignoring how bizarre and dubious it is.

Now I cannot stand people who behave like she does but that's not grounds for neglecting to acknowledge the oddness of the situation.

What's with all the bizarre?

You get an empty bottle of wine and fill it something that looks like wine. I can't think of anything that would look more like red wine than rhibena, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

We should have been immune to this shįt. Who finds it entertaining? I don’t, but I think the real question here is who’s entertaining it. Who’s giving it oxygen? who’s encouraging it to breed

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    People are so desperate to be outraged by her that they're ignoring how bizarre and dubious it is.

Now I cannot stand people who behave like she does but that's not grounds for neglecting to acknowledge the oddness of the situation.

There is no oddness or bizarrness, just a simple mistake.

Advertisement