Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It was obviously a light hearted Christmas joke

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

It could be racism but it’s far more likely to be a brain fart. Whatever happened to the benefit of the doubt?

She doesn't give people the benefit of the doubt because she's a massive racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

GetWithIt wrote: »
    It’s racist in the same way as when Conor Lenihan told Joe Higgins to stick with the kebabs. It’s an in-joke where you are using race as a means of belittling someone.

The “joke” in this case to identify the customer as a black currant.

I’m not some “woke” new world eejit. This stuff is pretty obvious and people shouldn’t pretend otherwise

Did you read her tweets and the hotels reply? It was a simple mistake. She’s lucky the hotel haven’t taken a different tact with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Is this a fruit case?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It was obviously a light hearted Christmas joke

Not even a joke just a genuine error because it had been poured from a display bottle that had presumably been left in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Anyone else think this was about Umbongo

Damn that stuff was tasty

Cheers. Now I have that song stuck in my head. Way down deep in the middle of the Congo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

People see, what they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Augme

She only asked for a glass, not a bottle.
    The hotel said some of the open display bottles had Ribena in them

Not sure what open display bottles are but sounds like a fairly stupid way of doing things if this can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

lawred2 wrote: »
    What was the actual link to racism as she saw it?
    They got a black waiter to serve her. That also offended her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Augme wrote: »
    Not sure what open display bottles are but sounds like a fairly stupid way of doing things if this can happen.

You don't know that a shop/restaurant/hotel sometimes display boxes/bottles for advertising purposes that don't have the actual product inside? :confused:

Sure it was stupid but only someone with an agenda would take the racism angle in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cassis is served in a wine glass, is red in colour & is made from & tastes of Blackcurrant.

Discodog wrote: »
    Cassis is served in a wine glass, is red in colour & is made from & tastes of Blackcurrant.

Typical racist French :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm 99% sure this one has appeared on Today with Maura and Daithi talking about the stories in the news.
    My mother told me this one was a tad dozy about things and from what I saw my mother was correct.

The word 'racism' is losing all meaning - and bullsh*t like this only dilutes it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

Discodog wrote: »

Hope that's not a reference to Cassius Clay, cause that's racist too:pac:

I have no idea what's going on here. Is it that someone gave her the wrong drink? If that happens to me I just tell the bar person what happened, they give me the right drink and I move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jimmii wrote: »
    Not even a joke just a genuine error because it had been poured from a display bottle that had presumably been left in the wrong place.

I just read the hotels explanation

It wasn’t even a joke. Just a simple error

Absolutely chilling to see how instantly this one plays the racist card

I just read the hotels explanation

It wasn’t even a joke. Just a simple error

Absolutely chilling to see how instantly this one plays the racist card

Imagine if something actually racist happens to her now, no one will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wibbs wrote: »
    True T, but the problem is as Mad_maxx notes this muppet is given regular airtime on RTE as a "race relations expert". Never mind that she has a vested interest in egging on the whole "racism" narrative. NB her bio: Author, Social Justice Activist, motivational speaker, Intercultural Consultant, researching race relations, racial stratification & the labour market. It's her job. If the world was entirely free of racism she'd be outa work. You see them in near every modern western multicultural society loudhailing "offence".

Victim industry players

No different than that other grievance hustler Martin Collins at pavee point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

tuxy wrote: »
    Imagine if something actually racist happens to her now, no one will believe it.

The girl who cried Wolf Blass:pac:

UCD should remove her from her position. You can't have UCD staff members abusing their position and the prestige of the university to spread unfounded allegations against innocent businesses all to bump their own profiles.

Not only that, she's also whipping up the hatred of the people she claims to represent in a fit of outrage against Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ribena in an open wine bottle, on 'display'? No.

Someone doing a bit of winding? Very likely.

Racist? Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

It's like a bad parody account.

It wouldn't surprise me if her angle is to post stupid story, attract racist response, spend 2020 playing the victim.

looksee wrote: »

Racist? Probably.

If you honestly believe that someone deliberately sent the wrong thing to a customer you've never worked in food service before. No one would do that on purpose because it just creates more work and more hassle for yourself with zero pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

Racist? Probably.

That’s a fair bit of a stretch. There is a hotels reputation at stake. The evidence is not there to say the incident is probably racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

GetWithIt wrote: »
    It’s racist in the same way as when Conor Lenihan told Joe Higgins to stick with the kebabs. It’s an in-joke where you are using race as a means of belittling someone.

The “joke” in this case to identify the customer as a black currant.

I’m not some “woke” new world eejit. This stuff is pretty obvious and people shouldn’t pretend otherwise

If that's true then LOL, brilliant, i wouldn't think of that in a hundred years

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Racist? Probably.

Are you actually for real.....

Wow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Are you actually for real.....

Wow....

Just goes to show the lunatics are running the asylum

Is it not quite possible the order was mixed up or hell maybe one of the kids asked for a ribena.

Oh dear lord jebus I'm going to have to change the tiles in my bathroom as they are black, I fear I may be racist for having black tiles.....

How the fcuk is this a news story.

Is it not quite possible the order was mixed up or hell maybe one of the kids asked for a ribena.

Oh dear lord jebus I'm going to have to change the tiles in my bathroom as they are black, I fear I may be racist for having black tiles.....

How the fcuk is this a news story.

Tiles of colour.

• Advertisement

Just goes to show the lunatics are running the asylum

I'm actually lost for words....

Advertisement