Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What will we spend the Apple money on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're vastly underestimating how much money that is.
    I know, you'd need, like a whole 8 bytes to store a number that big in the computer. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cnocbui wrote: »
    The only thing that money should be spent on is paying off National debt, which currently stands at €207 billion, or €43,431 hanging over the heads of every man woman and child in the country.

What debt? You mean the country was almost bankrupt at one point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly so do we want a short term band aid 13 bil or long term expansion and increased employment which will bring in far more money and jobs?

Also we all know its going to be nowhere near 13 bil for us

I don't know what Apple Irish wage bill is every year? 10 million or 20 million less than that, how much exactly are we losing if we decided to take the money? 13 billion is a lot of money to ignore.

If we actually see that kind of money. I would be investing it in developing local businesses that will hire people who are on the dole queue. Private industry is never going to solve the unemployment crisis in this country. Publically owned businesses need to be developed. We are too reliant on foreign investment. Borrowing is crippling this country we need more people working the better the country can sustain itself. 13 billion invested in local industry and businesses would in no time fix unemployment. There 7 billion potential customers in the world surely we can develop products other nations need?

I would also use 1 billion to improve the Internet network in this country to improve trade and social activities.

seamus wrote: »
    Solicitors. That's the game to be in.
    A shot of court on RTE yesterday with that BS "What rights do unborn children have?" case really struck me. Load of judges, barristers and solicitors turning up and getting paid thousands upon thousands over a bit of poor wording that just about everyone knows what the intention of which was. It's not like it's a 200 year old amendment, it's from a few bloody years ago. But hey, they gots to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Take the USC away from the countries workers and give us back a little more stability considering a household can't run on a standard single workers wage. People even saving for a deposit are at a loss if they don't have inheritance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I would either put the lot into Bitcoin or go to Vegas and stick the lot on red in a roulette game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Trolleys would be my answer.
    More trolleys for the hallways of the hospitals,that way we can get more sick people onto them.
    Trolleys for landlords, for their hallways so they can get more people in.
    If it's good enough for the infirm it should be good enough for the healthy young renters, can't see the gubberment arguing against it.
    That way we'll solve the hospital waiting lists, the homeless crisis and the rental crisis all at once.
    We can spend the rest on a good piss up to celebrate,and take Monday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

buy scratch cards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Twixes and fanny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The only thing that money should be spent on is paying off National debt, which currently stands at €207 billion, or €43,431 hanging over the heads of every man woman and child in the country.

this is what is likely will happen.. sorry if its been said already but Im not trawling through 3 pages of posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Monorail!

Lisa needs braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This thread has been done multiple times and the government already gave us an answer. I'm pretty sure the answer was nothing. A rainy day fund of sorts perhaps. Or maybe in 20 years when the state pension fund runs out we'll use it for that. Health can't be fixed by throwing more cash at it I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Bringing Disability Allowance back in line with the non-contributory pension

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Apples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Use the money to give as many useless good for nothing public sector workers fired and retired. Get 150,000 dead weight employees off the public sector paybill and outlaw trade unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I was going to suggest spending it on badly needed Health Service / Garda / Homeless resources, but by the time they have paid the consultants and discussion groups on what best way to spend the money and set up their nepotistic quangos there will hardly be enough left to buy a round of drinks and a packet of crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Electronic voting machines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

All footpaths in Dublin to be moving walkways(travelator) like you have in airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I don't know what Apple Irish wage bill is every year? 10 million or 20 million less than that, how much exactly are we losing if we decided to take the money? 13 billion is a lot of money to ignore.

Apple employ circa 5500 people in Ireland. The average industrial wage in Ireland is €35600 so that's €195,800,000 if it applied to Apple. Now some people earn less but also some people earn much more but in general Apple are decent payers. Add into that that PRSI let's say another €19Million based on average figures plus the millions of rates paid for their numerous buildings plus the money spent on local suppliers. Those wages then supports shed loads of other jobs. Apple are worth a lot to this country.

As for spending the money? Pay off a chunk of debt and spend the rest of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It looks like things are moving on this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0222/942768-apple-tax/

And yes I know other countries will get their cut and if we are lucky we will get half the money.

What should we spend it on?

Metro North?
    2 grand for every man, woman and child?
    Buy up some distressed loans?
    Pay off some of the national debt?
    Buy an island?

What would give the most benefit to the most amount of people?

Tax break for the wealthy. They need it more than we do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A tax break for Apple to get them to stay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No.

It will be repatriated - Apple have already said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Doltanian wrote: »
    Use the money to give as many useless good for nothing public sector workers fired and retired. Get 150,000 dead weight employees off the public sector paybill and outlaw trade unions.

Rather than outlawed trade unions we need more of them , particularly in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We should spend it on 1818181818 apples. Single gala apples are 55c each in Tesco at the moment.

That's 378.5 apples each, folks! Which will keep the doctor away for over a year. Jaysus, we won't need doctors at all at all. Hospital crisis solved. And apple growers happy. Which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think it's in Ireland's interest to take that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

It looks like things are moving on this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0222/942768-apple-tax/

And yes I know other countries will get their cut and if we are lucky we will get half the money.

What should we spend it on?

Metro North?
    2 grand for every man, woman and child?
    Buy up some distressed loans?
    Pay off some of the national debt?
    Buy an island?

What would give the most benefit to the most amount of people?

I need someone to explain the following?
    Ireland is in trouble with the EU for not taking tax due from Apple.
    At the same time, other countries are claiming that some of this money is due to them.
    Then, why;
    a) is Ireland in trouble for uncollected taxes that are due to other countries?
    b) why are the other countries not in trouble for not collecting their taxes from Apple.
    c) if the other countries did not know about the monies, then why is it just not an issue between Apple and the other countries, and leave Ireland, out of it.

What should we do with the money?
    Spend all of it on paying back national debt owed. Our debt is far too high since 2009.
    If there was to be an argument to spend, I would spend it only on capital projects that don’t incur additional year on year increases to the national budget, as we won’t have the funds again the following year.
    Rebuild hospitals, schools, or build roads, or to install high speed fiber optic cable across the whole country. This later item, is the biggest deficit in the country to date and the hidden payback to the national coffers would be immense. People could work from home more, or work from home in locations that are rural, (I.e. work for someone in America from rural Galway). Keeps people living in rural locations and reduces people on our roads and the need for motorway infrastructure. Connectivity, high speed, is the biggest payback in the modern society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Put the money into a Rabo Direct online account

I heard they are giving the interest upfront!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I would either put the lot into Bitcoin or go to Vegas and stick the lot on red in a roulette game.

Always bet on black!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rather than outlawed trade unions we need more of them , particularly in the private sector.

Private sector worker here, yeah no we don't

Advertisement