Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevesmithtech

What an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

https://www.cotterbrosfirewood.ie/product-page/kiln-dried-standard

Soft timber wood.
    Volume - 1.05 Cubic Metres
    Weight - 250 kg
    Moisture Content - 20%
    Length - 20 cm
    - 15% may be +/- 2cm

Diameter - 5 - 15 cm
    - 15% may be bigger or smaller

Price = 89 euros inclusive delivery.

Is it good deal lads?

1.17 m3 pallet of kiln dried oak firewood.

For 215€ including delivery to Limerick.

Is this a good deal guys?

https://www.woodplus.ie/product/1m3-pallet-of-kiln-dried-oak-firewood/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its a very good deal, think Omega paid 230 for 1.2m3 of oak in Cork which was a good price and here in Leinster the same has been 250-270. So 218 delivered to your door is excellent.

Received kiln dried oak wood today, 1.2 m3. Please see pictures attached :

A special thanks to Muahahahaha. Let the fire begin :)

20201128-141947.jpg
    20201128-142001.jpg
    20201128-174034.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Received kiln dried oak wood today, 1.2 m3. Please see pictures attached :

A special thanks to Muahahahaha. Let the fire begin :)

Where's that from?

https://www.woodplus.ie/

Very sound man.
    limnam wrote: »
    Where's that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

About 10 days into the move from coal to wood. Liking it so far, so much cleaner and way less dust.

Feels like we’re flying through the wood though. It’s a Stanley Erin multi fuel boiler stove. Getting the balance between turning the fire down a bit when it’s at or just above optimal temperature and not letting it drop in temperature too much (creosote etc) is tricky! Will see how long this batch lasts. But it’d be hard to go back to coal.

What's the best material to get the fire started? I have used dry sticks but struggled to get the fire going.

IMG-20201128-WA0051.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can use some kindling building the fire up or what also should work is put two logs length ways with a small gap and place a fire lighter in the small gap and then two logs on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Firelighters could the the problem. Try the ones that does as it says on the box , and actually last 5 times longer.

Do you recommend any please?
    2forjoy wrote: »
    Firelighters could the the problem. Try the ones that does as it says on the box , and actually last 5 times longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I always use Aldi ones, 4 blocks for €1.99, 48 lighters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What's the best material to get the fire started? I have used dry sticks but struggled to get the fire going.

IMG-20201128-WA0051.jpg

Can you chop some of your logs into kindling and put it next the firefighter with the full size logs on top

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Top down lighting is the best - check out a video on YouTube by ecofiresstoves works all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

My favourite ones are distributed by these guys.

https://careydistributors.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Aldi firefighters and kindling, leave the bottom door of the stove open for a spell and whoosh

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I use balled up newspaper (thanks galway/mayo advertiser) and 4 bits of kindling, lights easy. I only need firelighters if I'm using coal.

I leave the door of the stove cracked and all vents open when the kindlnig is getting going, once there's a good draw going I stick in two or three logs, close the door fully but leave the vents open for another bit. Once the logs are lit I fully close all the lower vents that bring the air in from under the grate and only leave the airwash/top vent partially open then that's it.

Every stove is a bit different though i suppose.

Top vent partially open hmm I’ve always kept mine closed
    I’ve never actually looked up what the top vent is for, someone told me it was to clean the glass lol

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Top vent partially open hmm I’ve always kept mine closed
    I’ve never actually looked up what the top vent is for, someone told me it was to clean the glass lol

They actually are for keeping the glass clear a lot of the time and I think that's what mine does too if I was burning turf or coal but wood is supposed to be burned with the air coming in from above rather than below like you would with coal or turf. I think air from below loses a lot of heat up the chimney with wood as most of the heat is generated from secondary combustion of the gases given off by the wood while it burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I use four small firelighters and about 6 sticks of the kindling from Aldi which is always super dry (unlike their logs). I always put small logs on first so you can get that bed of glowing embers, the larger logs then take easier once you have that.

Got this just now

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I use balled up newspaper (thanks galway/mayo advertiser) and 4 bits of kindling, lights easy. I only need firelighters if I'm using coal.

I leave the door of the stove cracked and all vents open when the kindlnig is getting going, once there's a good draw going I stick in two or three logs, close the door fully but leave the vents open for another bit. Once the logs are lit I fully close all the lower vents that bring the air in from under the grate and only leave the airwash/top vent partially open then that's it.

Every stove is a bit different though i suppose.

Do you not find the temperature of the stove drops when you close off the primary air? I have an Erin stove, if I close of the primary air stove temp drops, only concern I’d have then is around non optimal burning and creosote

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I tried the burner firelighters recently with my order of wood from surefirewood. They are individually wrapped so no smell of kerosene in the room or off your fingers when lighting the fire . They burn hot with a good flame for about 5 minutes and only 2 are needed to get a good hot fire going. I was so impressed I recently bought a full box (500) from amazon. Cost about 30 pounds but hopefully will last me 3 winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I tried the burner firelighters recently with my order of wood from surefirewood. They are individually wrapped so no smell of kerosene in the room or off your fingers when lighting the fire . They burn hot with a good flame for about 5 minutes and only 2 are needed to get a good hot fire going. I was so impressed I recently bought a full box (500) from amazon. Cost about 30 pounds but hopefully will last me 3 winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

IMG-20201128-WA0051.jpg

The pallet that the logs came in, break it down into kindling.

chris_ie wrote: »
    Do you not find the temperature of the stove drops when you close off the primary air? I have an Erin stove, if I close of the primary air stove temp drops, only concern I’d have then is around non optimal burning and creosote

No not in my experience, I just adjust the air wash if it needs a bit more air. If its fully open there will be a big flame and the wood will be burned in no time, I always try make sure there's a nice flame. I'm pretty sure it says in my stove's manual to close the primary air when burning wood once you have the fire going.

Could you please share the Amazon link?
    deisedav wrote: »

Could you please share the Amazon link?

See how the aldi firefighters work first, they never fail me and I only use 2 cubes with bits of kindling

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No not in my experience, I just adjust the air wash if it needs a bit more air. If its fully open there will be a big flame and the wood will be burned in no time, I always try make sure there's a nice flame. I'm pretty sure it says in my stove's manual to close the primary air when burning wood once you have the fire going.

All ours says is keep secondary air open for wood. We usually mostly close the the primary air too but the temperature of the stove drops. As I mentioned, the only concern I’d have is creosote build up in the long run.

Advertisement