Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oi oi lads were off to the euro's

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't really care if people jump on a bandwagon. But when they become overnight experts when they haven't given a shiny sh1te up to now, that's when it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Look I hate rugby as much as the next man but I cant believe that some people are turning this into rugby v football thread or saying the rugby team embarrassed themselves.

Just enjoy what the football team achieved FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

This is why we cant have nice things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Is it so hard for people to support the team that wears green called Ireland regardless of the code? (unless it begins with Northern ;) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Look I hate rugby as much as the next man but I cant believe that some people are turning this into rugby v football thread or saying the rugby team embarrassed themselves.

Just enjoy what the football team achieved FFS.

Id say the reason for the majority is because alot (not all) Rugby fans look down their nose on football players/fans etc...

Last nights minute silence issue was according to some typical "soccer" fans to some Rugby folk.

These same folk laughed off one of the Irish players in the Rugby World Cup thumping a fella off the ball, getting suspended!

A few boo's by some Bosnians (not that i condone it) is worse than blatant assault according to some

• Advertisement

Don't make me post in bold :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,444 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Let's all remember the great times at the last tournament....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The football may have been absolutely turgid to watch at times but it was effective, we were quite difficult to beat.

Nice boost for the country and something for everybody to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Menas wrote: »
    and a whiff of victory in the air.

there was some whiff in the jacks this morning too...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will make plenty of money from Ireland going to France but I would gladly give all that up if we could actually beat a few teams and progress in the tournament

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

What a turn around in the fortunes of our national team?

I know only the rarest of rare moments in sports should make it into AH, but come on, we're going to the Euros for only the 3rd time in our history.

Allowing 32 teams this time helped a lot. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Allowing 32 teams this time helped a lot. :pac:

You mean 24.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Let's all remember the great times at the last tournament....

Should you not be in the Dublin I a kip thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

We look a lot better under O'Neil & Keane than we did with Trap & his hot bodyguard.

We were in a much harder group this time (Poland,Germany,Scotland) than for Euro 2012 & Bosnia were much better team than Estonia. I don't think it will be possible to get such a hard group as we did last time so there's a good chance we could make it to the knockout stages especially since the 4 best 3rd place teams make it out of the group which would be brilliant for Irish football. Interestingly each time we've made it out of a group in a WC or Euro's we finished 2nd, 1990 behind England, 1994 behind Mexico & 2002 behind Germany.

we finished 2nd, 1990 behind England,

Little twist of fate in that one in that both ourselves and Holland finished on exact same record and second/third was decided by drawing of lots.

A nation then held its breath as we beat Romania on penalties in one of Irish sport's most famous moments while the Dutch were beaten by eventual Champions (West) Germany - a game even more famous for the antics of Messers Rijkaard and Voller.

Speaking of Germans...I would say they'd love another go at us in France next summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Collie D wrote: »
    Little twist of fate in that one in that both ourselves and Holland finished on exact same record and second/third was decided by drawing of lots.

A nation then held its breath as we beat Romania on penalties in one of Irish sport's most famous moments while the Dutch were beaten by eventual Champions (West) Germany - a game even more famous for the antics of Messers Rijkaard and Voller.

Speaking of Germans...I would say they'd love another go at us in France next summer

I wouldnt think so. As Keane said, the Germans def wont want to play us.

We always put it upto them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

kfallon wrote: »
    You mean 24.....

Apologies, yes, my addled brain multiplied wrong. Duurrrrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I dont think anyone would particularly want to play us. We are awkward and can cause most teams problems on our day.
    We are Stoke!

Menas wrote: »
    We are Stoke!

It's definitely a windy, rainy Tuesday night anyhow..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Collie D wrote: »

The 1994 group was even stranger. Every team in the group finished on 4 points, each team won, drew & lost a match & finished on the exact same goal difference, so it was decided on goals scored. Mexico topped the group because they scored 3 & conceded 3, us & Italy had 2 goals each & let 2 in each but we had a better head to head against Italy, although finishing 3rd might actually have been better for us I would have much more fancied our chances against Nigeria than against Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

We will have more fans over, no doubt. SUFTUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I still can't believe Ireland qualified. I will be honest I remember telling a Scottish fella during the summer that it looks like I will have to support his crowd or Wales.

Amazing group it was. Does anybody know what odds Ireland were to qualify after the second Scotland game in Dublin?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The win against Germany was a fluke tbh. If we play them again I can see us getting another 6-1 whopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

One thing I noticed this week is how the mma crowd have ruined ole ole ole for me :o

The win against Germany was a fluke tbh. If we play them again I can see us getting another 6-1 whopping.

I can't.

For one thing, we had a manager who wasn't bothered going to games, so he started O'Dea and Cox. And brought on Andy Keogh.

While the tactics are still not beautiful, at least this manager is picking better players, because he is not picking fights or refusing to bow to media pressure. The change in personnel is very noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

So is this colossal waste of time going to cost the taxpayer anything before we inevitably get knocked out of it?

lawlolawl wrote: »
    So is this colossal waste of time going to cost the taxpayer anything before we inevitably get knocked out of it?

Not. Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

lawlolawl wrote: »

Only if you buy a jersey and go for pints to watch the games :)

I've baggsed the time off in work \o/

No one else is planning on going, one of the lads might go to a match or two, but he's Polish so obviously the Irish staff members get first choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement