Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Den on RTE TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Out-lasted the sh1t out of 'the DJ Kat show' anyway.

That maybe due to the Irish publics inferior intellect to out British counterparts. Maybe not though, just putting it out there.

That maybe due to the Irish publics inferior intellect to out British counterparts.

Or it could be due to our enhanced appreciation of "good craic", which the Den was back in the day. Craic so good, it got exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Out-lasted the sh1t out of 'the DJ Kat show' anyway.

That maybe due to the British publics inferior intellect to ours. Maybe not though, just putting it out there.

Fixed that for ya:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Ray had such a laugh all the time, he was genuinely and rightly so in stiches with Dustins routines and sharp humour, a class act, and had me in stiches as a kid and even teenager after school wind downs after getting in

Thanks for all the hours and hours of fun through my childhood :)

Saila wrote: »
    Ray had such a laugh all the time, he was genuinely and rightly so in stiches with Dustins routines and sharp humour, a class act, and had me in stiches as a kid and even teenager after school wind downs after getting in

I had a different method of winding down after school as a teenager. It still involved the flappt-flap-flaps though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

How has no one posted this yet, so so funny. Just the innocence of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Why hasn't anyone posted this yet??? LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

How has no one posted this yet, so so funny. Just the innocence of it all.

Lol, great minds and all that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

They had a special show after The Den reached ten years called "The Den is ten" where they had all the past presenters together, all the puppets, and some regular guests like Stephen Gately and The Saw Doctors, and it showed loads of clips of Dempseys Den and The Den up until that point. I taped it when it was on and Id say i watched that tape hundreds of times! :D Surprised they never did it after 20 years, or at least after 15years for the Ray and Damien years where the show was basically the same format.

Also, really wish they'd release a dvd of all the christmas specials!!

They had a special show after The Den reached ten years called "The Den is ten" where they had all the past presenters together, all the puppets, and some regular guests like Stephen Gately and The Saw Doctors, and it showed loads of clips of Dempseys Den and The Den up until that point. I taped it when it was on and Id say i watched that tape hundreds of times! :D Surprised they never did it after 20 years, or at least after 15years for the Ray and Damien years where the show was basically the same format.

Hopefully this post will be an eyeopener to the creators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I started watching Den2 as it was called I think back around 95 I'd say because that's when I started primary school... used be mad to get home to watch it

but anytime I've been watching it lately it's been useless - looking back our youth was great compared to what the wee ones watch today..

I wrote to them at RTÉ in May last year. Thusly:
    Hello there!

Since RTÉ brought out a compilation DVD of Zig and Zag on the Den in late 2008, I wonder if you plan to release a compilation of the Christmas specials sometime.

I believe "Best Bitz from Back Den" sold well and I'm convinced that a DVD of the entire Christmas special episodes would also be popular, particularly among students. I have spoken to a few people about it and they, like me, would certainly love to see such a release.

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Yours truly,
    [me].

In response I got this:
    Hi [me],

Thanks for the mail,

There are no plans currently to release full episodes of the Zig and Zag Christmas Specials on DVD however I have included your suggestion in this week's Audience Log and have forwarded it on to RTÉ's Merchandising department for information.

Kind Regards,
    and so on.

I say we fill their email boxes with requests for those Christmas specials. Surely now would be the time to do it, right? They've finished with all the Autumn scheduling...

Or is that just me being naïve?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I think i remember a time when podge turned around and said fúck on air and Ray had to quickly mask it and move it to a break, Podge never returned on the Den after that...

Anyone remember when Zig and Zag were pretending to be swimming? They had these.. fake waves in the studio and the sound effects were always out of sync.

It was superb comedic timing and the show has gone to sh1t since d'Arcy's Arse left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Craguls wrote: »
    The Christmas specials used to make my childhood viewing.

Same here. Some of my best childhood memories was getting up at like 6 in the morning to watch it the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

Craguls wrote: »
    The Christmas specials used to make my childhood viewing.

+1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCv4iyPqZKQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Ush1 wrote: »
    Same here. Some of my best childhood memories was getting up at like 6 in the morning to watch it the whole day.

Loved the one in 95 when Zig and Zag returned from Channel 4 to be asked by Dustin 'who are youse supporting in Euro '96, go back to England youse traitors' (or words to that effect anyway) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dustin doing the horse racing commentary was the best, found a clip of one on YouTube a while ago, absolute classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I've just noticed that Zig and Zag only ever use one hand - SO THAT'S HOW THEY DID IT!!

I remember Dempsey's Den and the early D'arcy years, required viewing back then.

And the ould Irish song they'd sing on St Patrick's Day:

"Well with a shillelagh in me ear,
    And some shamrock up me nose,
    I'll be off to Connemara in the morning!"

They don't make kids tv shows like they used!

The Poultry Party :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Flap flaps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

TED! That eeeeeeeeevil b*stard. Always gettin' in to fights with Ray. :pac:

Yeah I remember the first one when Zig and Zag emerged from behind the chair, ah memories.

Also the books (well comics), did anyone have those? Fridge in a Denim Jacket (can't remember the names of the other ones) and the video "This Video Had Nothing To Do With Toast". Brilliant.

I still tell that joke, the one that Zag says in the Hospital. "What do you call cows by the ocean? A Farm-a-see (pharmacy)." Bless.

I thought the shamrock was up the hole?

Remembering it wrong, I wondered years after how they got away with "up me hole" on kid's tv.

How about "OIM A BILDAH!"

Or does anyone have the Dustin CDs? They were always out at Christmas, we got one and thought it was pure gas

Funky Ford Cortina.

How about "OIM A BILDAH!"

Or does anyone have the Dustin CDs? They were always out at Christmas, we got one and thought it was pure gas

Funky Ford Cortina.

I got one last Xmas, some of the stuff he got away with, "Ah Twink I didn't recognise you there since you shaved off the beard!!!"

Ah. Brilliant from 3:31 onwards when Dustin is speaking Irish - is it me or does he say, "I am on the Postman once every day"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

The Den was so good when it was Ray D'arcy, Zig and Zag, Dustin and Zuppy. Dustin definitely got away with saying a lot of stuff back then. Podge used to freak me out.

Does anyone remember the different sets they used? I remember them being in a caravan, shed and a spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Who had the zig and zag books? Man, they were brilliant. Dial 'D' for dustin, The fridge in a denim jacket, and i think there was one more.
    I had a poster for their video too, 'Nothing to do with toast'. Then i remember being heartbroken when they left The den to go to channel 4, and an 11 year old chairman meow flipped the **** out and started drawing union jacks all over the poster and writing 'brit loving bastards' all over it!
    But yeah, the den christmas specials were fantastic. I remember watching one, i was maybe 8 or 9, and i was sitting in my PJ's, eating chocolate, watching the den on christmas morning, and Zig and Zag were pretending that they could see people watching the show and they said something like "aww look at yer man, still in his PJ's, and hes eatin chocolate for breakfast!!", you couldve knocked me over with a feather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

kfallon wrote: »
    I got one last Xmas, some of the stuff he got away with, "Ah Twink I didn't recognise you there since you shaved off the beard!!!"
    :D

• Advertisement

And to think Ray D'arcy actually got paid to just sit there and listen to them, he'll never have a dream job like that again!

Even Don Conroy had his moments :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement