Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It wasn't July

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't have a short memory, on the contrary, I have a very good memory.

In my lifetime I've never seen a July like this.

This has been a July where not only did it rain a lot, but one that was indistinguishable from a winter month. I.e. it didn't feel like a wet July, that was warm and humid but rained, it felt like any winter month from October to February. Dark by 6pm. Totally bizarre.

How often does it hit 20c frequently October - February?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How often does it hit 20c frequently October - February?

We're talking about rain non stop for the month of July here. What's your point exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

We're talking about rain non stop for the month of July here. What's your point exactly?

I was talking to the poster that claimed it didn't fell like a wet warm July
    This has been a July where not only did it rain a lot, but one that was indistinguishable from a winter month. I.e. it didn't feel like a wet July, that was warm and humid but rained, it felt like any winter month from October to February. Dark by 6pm. Totally bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This has not occurred to a lot of people, Ireland is undoubtedly getting slightly warmer however the amount of rain is staying the same leading to us developing a bit of a humid climate, not leading to use developing a more Mediterranian climate.

To me, the best climate is a cool summer Mediterranean climate or an oceanic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So much lies and damned lies being posted here.

Here are some Athenry stats, but you can choose another station more meaningful for you. The numbers are actually stark enough.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

You get a five year comparison here for all the key aspects of weather, but I heard on the radio this morning that it was the July with the least sunshine for 34 years in Dublin airport.

The rainfall in Valentia was notably large.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't have a short memory, on the contrary, I have a very good memory.

In my lifetime I've never seen a July like this.

topper75 wrote: »
    So much lies and damned lies being posted here.

Here are some Athenry stats, but you can choose another station more meaningful for you. The numbers are actually stark enough.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

You get a five year comparison here for all the key aspects of weather, but I heard on the radio this morning that it was the July with the least sunshine for 34 years in Dublin airport.

The rainfall in Valentia was notably large.

See for yourself there, July 2017 and this year are very close in most respects

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

See for yourself there, July 2017 and this year are very close in most respects

What station, what respects?

Most stations for most parameters illustrate 2020's July as being particularly poor. If there are exceptions, they merely serve to highlight a rule.

Valentia rainfall alone is a slamdunk and comes up almost double 2017.

Year Jul

2020 214.0
    2019 83.7
    2018 50.1
    2017 108.4
    mean 99.0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

topper75 wrote: »
    What station, what respects?

Most stations for most parameters illustrate 2020's July as being particularly poor. If there are exceptions, they merely serve to highlight a rule.

Valentia rainfall alone is a slamdunk and comes up almost double 2017.

Year Jul

2020 214.0
    2019 83.7
    2018 50.1
    2017 108.4
    mean 99.0

You posted Athenry, where precip is about a third larger than 2017, but twice '18 and '19. Mean temp is half a degree lower, compared to about 2° for the other years. This year was worse no doubt but not not that much worse, compared to the last two years.

Valentia might have been double but Shannon was equal even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Eff me but this weather is something else. 3 days of wall to wall sunshine in the West. July has arrived in mid September. Is this one weird year or what.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eff me but this weather is something else. 3 days of wall to wall sunshine in the West. July has arrived in mid September. Is this one weird year or what.
    A phenomena commonly known as an "Indian Summer". Ask your grandparents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The weather is almost always good in September.

🙈🙉🙊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

yet there is a water shortage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The weather is almost always good in September.
    Especially when the kids go back to school.

Advertisement