Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I already took advantage of their last 1/3 off offer earlier this year but it's a really good deal, and I've used it lots.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Last day for special offers / reduced prices on FTDNA is tomorrow. Some good value to be had for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

This may be the last day for 15% discount on the annual subscription. The promo code is displayed on the site as "Xmas15".

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

pinkypinky wrote: »

Lots of good offers for Ancestry.com alright. Always frustrating that there's never offers for Ancestry.co.uk tho. My tree, etc seems to be with the .co.uk site, so can never benefit from the .com offers!

• Advertisement

It's all the same site - they just move you to the closest one but it's not like Amazon where you can have different wishlists on the .com vs the .co.uk
    My tree is there regardless of which url.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

It's all the same site - they just move you to the closest one but it's not like Amazon where you can have different wishlists on the .com vs the .co.uk
    My tree is there regardless of which url.

Yep thats true, but I've contacted them before and they've told me I can't avail of any .com offers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Flash sale on "Find my Past" at the moment!

€1 for first month for new accounts.

The $99 offer for six months really is $99 +tax of $22.77. = $121.77. Why the tax for a non-US resident?

I don't know - that is surprising. Suppose you could claim it back via that taxback.com crowd.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

FTDNA $55 via US Groupon.
    Family Finder DNA Ancestry Test from Family Tree DNA (Up to 38% Off)
    $55 (reg $89)

Upon redemption on merchant's site, customers pay $12.95 for shipping which covers shipment of kit from merchant and shipping back to merchant and an additional $1 promotional fee. Return shipping is not covered for orders outside the US.
    https://www.groupon.com/deals/family-tree-dna-1-1-national

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The $99 offer for six months really is $99 +tax of $22.77. = $121.77. Why the tax for a non-US resident?

Basically the site quotes all US prices ex-VAT and then applies the VAT of the US State (or country if you're outside the US) your address is registered in for .com offers. .co.uk etc will always quote the price including VAT.

P_1 wrote: »
    Basically the site quotes all US prices ex-VAT and then applies the VAT of the US State (or country if you're outside the US) your address is registered in for .com offers. .co.uk etc will always quote the price including VAT.

I guessed that, based on the % tax amount, I just wanted to ascertain why it could be due. I've since found out that the tax law changed in 2015 and Revenue Ireland deemed the tax on electronic services to be due in the country of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Just fyi https://www.findmypast.ie/ has free access to birth, marriage, death and census records until February 8th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ancestry - free access to UK & I records for 3 days from Friday. Not sure if you need to have registered first though.

Ancestry - free access for Easter.

Ancestry - free access to UK 1939 Register for this weekend.

Having a great time at the moment finding things in it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

BowWow wrote: »
    Ancestry - free access to UK 1939 Register for this weekend.

Having a great time at the moment finding things in it :D

I knew, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

FTDNA is doing some excellent summer sales during August. Prices vary depending whether you're upgrading or buying new, but worth a look.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Last day tomorrow for 25% off sale on Ancestry DNA kits, which are now €71 (reg €95) plus shipping.

But better price in the US. Last day today (20 Aug) for Ancestry 40% off DNA kits. Kit is $59 (reg $99) plus shipping. Also available from Amazon.com with free shipping (since item is over $25). If you have friend/family in the US they could be shipped there and they can forward to you. There is the issue of return postage - it comes with pre-addressed postage-paid envelope. You can either post to your US contact in outer envelope and have them drop in mail or send to Ancestry HQ in Dublin. I've done the latter a couple of times with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

leck wrote: »
    Last day tomorrow for 25% off sale on Ancestry DNA kits, which are now €71 (reg €95) plus shipping.

But better price in the US. Last day today (20 Aug) for Ancestry 40% off DNA kits. Kit is $59 (reg $99) plus shipping. Also available from Amazon.com with free shipping (since item is over $25). If you have friend/family in the US they could be shipped there and they can forward to you. There is the issue of return postage - it comes with pre-addressed postage-paid envelope. You can either post to your US contact in outer envelope and have them drop in mail or send to Ancestry HQ in Dublin. I've done the latter a couple of times with no problem.

Works out at 80 euro on amazon.co.uk. at the moment. Free shipping. If you didn’t want the hassle with the US. I’ve one in my basket all week and debating if I’ll buy or not. It’ll be for a family member. It’s a pity they don’t give discounts for buying a few at once.

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Works out at 80 euro on amazon.co.uk. at the moment. Free shipping. If you didn’t want the hassle with the US. I’ve one in my basket all week and debating if I’ll buy or not. It’ll be for a family member. It’s a pity they don’t give discounts for buying a few at once.
    $59 for US kit is about €51.56.

With the kit you order on Amazon UK, is return postage included?

For the US kit, there is a prepaid return envelope but can only be used in the US, so you either have to put in outer envelope and mail to US contact to be forwarded or post to HQ in Dublin. I've had no problem doing the latter in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

leck wrote: »
    $59 for US kit is about €51.56.

With the kit you order on Amazon UK, is return postage included?

For the US kit, there is a prepaid return envelope but can only be used in the US, so you either have to put in outer envelope and mail to US contact to be forwarded or post to HQ in Dublin. I've had no problem doing the latter in the past.

Ive never actually thought of that. I’ve only ordered from the the Irish ancestry site in the past. Maybe it’s the same as the American one so. I will have to enquire.

Booking is open for my beginners' genealogy class in Malahide starting in Autumn.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

This sounds good. What date does it start and how long will it run?

2nd October for 10 weeks (class 2 hours duration with a short break)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Free UK and Irish records on Ancestry UK this for their BH weekend this weekend, according to a TV ad anyway

edit: working and includes the '39 register which has a fraction of the info I thought it had in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

FTDNA sent me a coupon over night with additional $5 off their already reduced cost of Family Finder test. Now $54!! Expires 31 August.

• Advertisement

25% off Rootsireland annual subs. Excellent timing - mine was due up in a couple of weeks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement