Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Voyager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

the Xindi story episodes of season 3
    season 4`s 1-9 episodes where all good not a single 1 part episode till episode 10 of season 4 in a mirror darkley brillent

ENT has had some great episodes some epic battles

But there has been some total shight in ENT so im sticking with DS9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Has to be DS9 all the way baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Definitely DS9, it's my favourite by far

TNG would be second

Voyager third and I haven't seen enough of any of the others to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

TNG is by far the best.Best final episode in a tv show ever. Voyager 2nd. Enterprise series 1-3 3rd (can't stand series 4). DS9 is terrible, they turned a perfectly good war into a soppy dreary mess. I liked the starfleet characters but I couldn't stand the rest. And i've never actually bothered watching TOS but the movies were ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Definitley ds9......although i probably not the biggest fan of Star trek but i have talking significant liking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

DS9, very closely followed by enterprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

DS9 is like watching eastenders in space its the greatest load of sh1te ever and thats whatout saying anything about the cheapass flashback last epsoide.

TNG all the way!!

Sgtshaft wrote:
    DS9 is like watching eastenders in space its the greatest load of sh1te ever and thats whatout saying anything about the cheapass flashback last epsoide.

TNG all the way!!
    ds9 was the 3rd most nominated drama series ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

User45701 wrote:
    ds9 was the 3rd most nominated drama series ever

You said it DRAMA not sci fi if I want to watch drama I would watch any auld toss on prime time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

TNG all the way, pure class-great characters.
    Big fan of Voyager too-hated Janeway at first but she grew on me, and had some decent storylines imo.
    DS9-just couldnt get into it at all and i certainly tried, just seemed a bit dull to me.
    Never watch Enterprise really,again i find it dull.

Absolutely love TOS, brilliant fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

DS9
    TNG not far behind
    VOYAGER
    Enterprise / Tos

Can't remember seeing any animated episodes.

Favourite film - First Contact
    Favourite captain - Picard
    Favourite 2nd in command - Not sure
    Favourite engineer - O'Brien
    Favourite doctor - Robert Picardo (Voyager)
    Favourite ST aliens - Klingots
    Favourite babe - 10/10
    Favourite klingot - Gowran
    Favourite alien - Weyoun
    Favourite episode - Way of the Warrior (right now, changes often)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

1. Deep Space Nine- great war episodes combined with memorable characters and plots

2.The Next Generation-Everything you love about Star trek and great Characters

3.The original series

4.Voyager

5.Enterprise- I refuse to even recognise it as Star Trek Im delighted its over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

What the hell is Orginal or Origional, I’ve heard of Original series but not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

off topic, but essential... http://picard.ytmnd.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Sorry for going off topic but I felt it had to be said, now to stay on topic, I believe the original series comes first as the best, followed by the next generation and then voyager. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

You've got to see the family guy straight to dvd movie. they do a ds9 piss-take.
    Basically stewie with huge ears telling an obvious ripp off of odo to eff off.

P.S. i voted ds9. the best one followed by enterprise. continuous storylines are what do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Tough choice, but I have to go for DS9, just shading out TNG. I remember watching TNG as a kid and thought it was great, and it still is.
    TNG had a lot of strong sci-fi eps such as the one with the causality loop, and the one with the floating "time bubbles", to name just a few. Both classics. It also had the best final episode and the best captain in JL Picard. I often think how ridiculous a lot of the dialogue would sound coming from a lesser actor than Patrick Stewart, but he makes it sound totally plausible. TNG also took the piss out of itself a lot especially with Worf and Riker (although that might be just bad acting from Frakes). Essentially, TNG was a sci-fi series first, more plot driven than character driven. Looking back now some of the effects are poor esp the first series, but it paved the way for the later incarnations.

DS9, on the other hand, was almost a drama series before a sci-fi one. There's nothing wrong with that as it was good drama. The main accusation thrown at DS9 is its dense plotting and the difficulty of watching it casually. I reckon you can't have your cake and eat it. How are you going to have a war that lasts three seasons without some tight plotting? If it was done in a piecemeal, haphazard manner people would be giving out as well. DS9 really ups the ante at the beginning of the fourth season when Worf joins the cast. It has some absolutely spectacular space battles and overall has a much darker tone than TNG. On TNG everything was wrapped up in two minutes at the end of the episode - not the case with DS9. There were long term ramifications leading from what happened on DS9 - so often not the case with TNG.

Voyager undoubtedly has some good episodes and The Doctor is class but has waaay too many annoying characters ie Neelix (want to kill him every time I see him), Chakotay (only good for crashing shuttles - ****tiest first officer ever) and Harry Kim ( what can I say, needs a boot up the arse). Haven't really seen enough ENT or TOS to comment on them so I won't.

So thats my two cents. Both TNG and DS9 classics but DS9 just takes it for being more compelling overall.

Best Captain: Jean-Luc Picard
    Best First Officer: Will 'Randy' Riker
    Best Non-Human: Data
    Best Engineer: Miles O'Brien, Ireland's finest
    Best Doctor: Emergency Medical Hologram (whats that say about the rest)
    Most Annoying Character: Neelix
    Best Looker: Beverly Crusher ( only kidding - 7 of 9)
    Best Ship: USS Defiant
    Best Episode: Yesterday's Enterprise/The Visitor

yesterdays enteprrise and visitor both great episodes!
    i havent seen much ds9 in ages but i did love the section 31 episode where bashier goes to romulus

My faverate is probbley The Die Is The Cast Obsidian order and Tal Shiar fleet attack founders home planet

aslo
    You've got to see the family guy straight to dvd movie. they do a ds9 piss-take.
    Basically stewie with huge ears telling an obvious ripp off of odo to eff off.

P.S. i voted ds9. the best one followed by enterprise. continuous storylines are what do it for me.

Amercian dad did a great TNG rip aswell.

wont spoil it if u havent seeen it quite good though but wesley is there....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

User45701 wrote:
    yesterdays enteprrise and visitor both great episodes!
    i havent seen much ds9 in ages but i did love the section 31 episode where bashier goes to romulus

My faverate is probbley The Die Is The Cast Obsidian order and Tal Shiar fleet attack founders home planet

aslo

Amercian dad did a great TNG rip aswell.

wont spoil it if u havent seeen it quite good though but wesley is there....
    Any idea which episode this is in by any chance? Is it a big skit or just an aside, like Family Guy has many of?

• Advertisement

i think its season 2 episode 3 but im not sure its a short skit but its funny enough not as good as william shatner in his many family guy appearences

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

TNG for me,DS9 in the lead,HUH???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Deep Space 9, Captain Sisko was a legend.

It looks prettty clear the whole way through the poll ds9 has been in the lead with tng right behijnd then followed by voyager orginal series and enterprise tied then lol 2 ppl voted for the animated series

ive always wonderd why star trek .com dosent have a poll on it for best series so that way every1 would vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

TOS was easily the best for me, i also really enjoyed TNG and DS9, enterprise was good but voyager was a bit too much of a stretch for me.
    whats everyones favourite film, i suppose probably II:TWOK, or IV:TVH or VI:TUC

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

For me it has to be DS9 like most people here who voted for it I loved the continuous arcs, especially the dominion war. However there are a few more reasons. One is the lack of any really annoying characters, I'm talking cringe worthy stuff ie. Harry Kim, The Doctor and Wesley Crusher. Seeing the episode where the doctor becomes a singer almost made me throw my tv out the window.
    Another reason is that DS9 is alot more realistic, I know that realism is not necessary for Star Trek but there has always been a certain pretentiousness to Star Trek, the idea that humans had "evolved" that they were enlightened and above us. DS9 portrayed the humans as humans, in the episode where the crew have to help defend a commincations post from the Gem Hadar we see a group of soldiers who have been left at their posts too long and are showing the signs of war weariness. We see a man wearing a necklace made of Ketrecel White containers (I think) that he took from the corpses of Gem Hadar he killed. Quark points out to Nog (who clearly has a deep admiration for humanity) that humans are very nice and enlightened until their stomachs are empty and their holodecks are taken away, at which point they become more blood-thirsty than the most violent Klingon. I think this is a very poignant scene and one of my favourites. It has been said in this thread that DS9 was succesful drama, I think this is true and I love the combination of drama and sci-fi, humans are not perfect and they never will be.
    Saying this I also love TNG, it was my intro to Star Trek and I love the charaters (except Wesley of course), TNG also has my all time favourite Star Trek scene. It is in the episode where a Federation lawyer is trying to find the cause of an attempted saboutage on the enterpirise, she initiates a witch hunt, trying to route out who she perceices to be enemies of the federation. Many fall for her dangerous logic, including worf, who comes to Captain Picard (who oposes her) at the end of the episode. Captain Picard warns Worf that vilains do not always tweak their mustaches, they are far more insidious than that. He warns that while the federation enjoys great freedom the price of this must be constant vigilance. This is a theme that is also examined in the DS9 episode where an Admiral uses the paronia which has grown out of the dominion threat as cover to attempt a coup on earth.
    I know I have waffled a bit here but basically I love DS9 because it is more realistic and is more engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Has to be DS9...All the other captains tippy toed around where captain Sisko took no bullsh*t!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

TNG, Legend Patrick Stewart is the best
    just was watching an ep there for the first time in ages,
    I live in Spain and they show it dubbed in Catalan/Spanish so
    its ****e :(

Considering getting the DVDs but they are £35 (STG) each on play.com !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Totally agree, TNG was the best IMO. La Forge and Data were my favorites although I had a soft spot for Deanna too.

I've been subscribing to the bi-monthly mag of Star Trek that comes with a DVD containing 3 episodes or a Feature length movie. Pretty soon I'll have all the TNG series and movies !!

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Is that magazine expensive though ?

Advertisement