Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The What/When/Where to buy??

• 11-08-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭

Hey lads appreciate any info ye may have.

So in the market for a cross over kayak. Primarily for camping/fishing/general paddling my main river will the Barrow Carlow town area.

I've always wanted a open canoe (most for fanciful imagery reasons :rolleyes:) but have come to the realisation that they're not the most practical both for storing or my intended use. I also considered a SOT but again the thoughts of paddling through the rain for hours to set up camp in the rain is a bit off putting (no I'm not made of sugar) :D

So settled on the cross over for the enclosed setup and multi use aspect.

To get back to my original question. I'm relatively new to all of this and being involved in several different outdoor activities I'm well used to there being typical go to stores for bargains and seasonal discounts etc.

I have been looking at I canoe and have looked at

Pyranha Fusion EXP

http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Kayaks.21/River_Touring_Kayaks.219/+/+/Pyranha_Fusion_EXP.3659.html

Also this

Dagger Axis 10.5e

http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Kayaks.21/Touring_Sea_Kayaks.113/Dagger.66/Dagger_Axis_10.5_Elite/Dagger_Axis_10.5_Elite.2009.html

I also want to upgrade my current PFD to something a bit more long use friendly and less rigid.

Appreciate this may have been covered several times so if something recent and relevant is up please link and apologies to mods. :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bit of an auld tumbleweed forum this one eh..

So another question is there a forum similar to say pinkbike only for kayak/canoeing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Bit of an auld tumbleweed forum this one eh..

So another question is there a forum similar to say pinkbike only for kayak/canoeing etc?

I have only kayaked a few times.
    One thing about the sit in, is that you would want to be able to extract yourself from it if it capsized. Otherwise you could drown easily.

A guy that took us out went through some of it and it is something you would want to be trained up on.

The sit ons are safer that way.

It is something I would love to get trained up on at some stage and do some of the rivers and canals with the option of fishing.

I have only kayaked a few times.
    One thing about the sit in, is that you would want to be able to extract yourself from it if it capsized. Otherwise you could drown easily.

A guy that took us out went through some of it and it is something you would want to be trained up on.

The sit ons are safer that way.

It is something I would love to get trained up on at some stage and do some of the rivers and canals with the option of fishing.

Cheer for the reply.

I was thinking that alright and have had the experience of it and lived to tell the tale thankfully. It's surprisingly easy to get out of the spray deck etc when you really have to :D Obviously in more fast flowing white stuff it'd be a different ball game but I reckon I'm passed all that stuff and not really interested in it to be honest. I wouldn't mind shooting a few weirs I've done this before and it's great fun.

I had a look at the level 2 courses run up at Lucan and they look like a bit of craic so might sign up for one of those courses. I'm going to drop into icanoe this week and see what they suggest.

Ya you need to be careful in the water. I nearly drowned a couple of times as a kid so I 'try' to be a bit more responsible now. I like to do a lot of stuff on my own so I can understand the predicament of going out on the water on your own.

If you feel comfortable getting out and have a lifejacket on you are fairly safe but it is always something to bear in mind.

The smaller sit ins are nice and tidy and probably easy enough to transport, maybe an estate car would carry them too. I am not sure how much storage they would have?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to rent a few different ones out and see what catches your eye. There's a kayaking group not far from me and I think I will do one of their courses when I have more time on my hands in the future.

Anyway keep us updated on what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There is a reason why these type of questions get no answer on any forums.
    It is dangerous for a beginner to just head out on the river.
    You should never canoe/kayak alone. 3 is the minimum.
    Experienced kayakers are hesitant to help due to the above.

Those of us out and about see a lot of crazy things and often are not thanked for pulling people out of the river when they get in over their head. Personally been abused more than once for rescuing a swimmer as i let their boat float away.

Find your local club and head down to them.
    Or post your location and we can direct you to your local active club.
    They'll get you in a boat and you'll see all that's involved.
    They'll have lot of different boats for you to try out

I canoe is your best bet for the where.

The what is down to you
    Open boat would be best for what you're up to but if need something smaller these are next best.
    There may even be something a bit bigger available
    Don't bother with sit on top.

You mentioned PFD
    Make sure you have an adequate PFD. It must be a buoyancy aid not a life jacket and it must be the right fit for you.
    Your boat must have adequate buoyancy in it

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response Wildly boaring and appreciate the honesty.

I wouldn't be putting myself in harms way when solo. Whilst my experience is limited I've partaken in several water based sports over the years and am comfortable in the water. In saying all that I do understand the concerns regarding safety but realistically heading out with several people all of the time won't be possible. I have no plans or interest in tackling any white water alone perhaps in a club environment but dodgy shoulders rule out anything wild.

The PFD I have is a Palm equipment I can't recall the model but it is fit for purpose if a little dated. I probably don't need to update it but better to have a new safety device than an old warn one.

Tullow or Graiguenamanagh would probably be the nearest clubs to me so I might give them a shout and see how they're fixed for courses.

I have a canadian canoe on loan next month and have a few trips planned with a mate that's been involved in the sport for years so looking forward to that.

Thanks again I plan to drop into I canoe next week and I'll have a chat with them about courses etc. I see there's some good courses running up near Lucan.

Just an update on this I ended up going with the canadian canoe and I have to say it's been perfect for what I hand in mind.

Thanks again to those that responded :)

gJ5RBiNZ6CsVbVhdOHa5Hp0c52nm3JOt08x2F9fGEgLuklNExoyXZIzaYZfAOWvTflPslN7W8Nm7II52FNNLbqjFcvC_I7_8qbVH0wKFDu4VFTWIIvsMe8P78mU5QlVxx3Sg3L6EQks-YYv0bwNu8pxRHGH54BGF0aJqCHTxryA997EWGozWddUgRMZT7tCrhllOiy4ygWd3bboQMU289VaJ-Xc1TgD65cnI7lPuQrOll_Hlf7ClfEuKba8z7q4P9EjNl7mBpJp-ynn_Cf_4ALnfuV5fKumuX8HKeEq6NPfIbSeg53WNsV8KSpISEsHQHdTQFyUwlWf42HbQ65hH0O-xk0EZETKLn5HIfaDA3sVUWqs9LkNGafUL9XXwECdUbnuO24GQ1ViXnhCAre4Wkav6tv35L4U8v6OM4X60HsvHyCzInLip0tKCsy2dmjDiMRUvsETpkTw-KZM9ZsmfQDP1OC8zPBtsAY0gGvWnpw2bo05D3CTgzOMYbjihnbLn47AtXpMeV9Ik0JLIhAeLYP5qYo1asZCowuLRlEUAC6o4BOxuxJ9VjATGBH0foE0MZugD1tHnSVwmxnt9b4TNIx-xrRgtWvD5p3QsjTuTgen0J5auzy41bO4bynec6281I5MFSiB9up_Y7-ePKXshzBP7w8ZTN_Ma=w1292-h624-no

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

Just an update on this I ended up going with the canadian canoe and I have to say it's been perfect for what I hand in mind.

Thanks again to those that responded :)

gJ5RBiNZ6CsVbVhdOHa5Hp0c52nm3JOt08x2F9fGEgLuklNExoyXZIzaYZfAOWvTflPslN7W8Nm7II52FNNLbqjFcvC_I7_8qbVH0wKFDu4VFTWIIvsMe8P78mU5QlVxx3Sg3L6EQks-YYv0bwNu8pxRHGH54BGF0aJqCHTxryA997EWGozWddUgRMZT7tCrhllOiy4ygWd3bboQMU289VaJ-Xc1TgD65cnI7lPuQrOll_Hlf7ClfEuKba8z7q4P9EjNl7mBpJp-ynn_Cf_4ALnfuV5fKumuX8HKeEq6NPfIbSeg53WNsV8KSpISEsHQHdTQFyUwlWf42HbQ65hH0O-xk0EZETKLn5HIfaDA3sVUWqs9LkNGafUL9XXwECdUbnuO24GQ1ViXnhCAre4Wkav6tv35L4U8v6OM4X60HsvHyCzInLip0tKCsy2dmjDiMRUvsETpkTw-KZM9ZsmfQDP1OC8zPBtsAY0gGvWnpw2bo05D3CTgzOMYbjihnbLn47AtXpMeV9Ik0JLIhAeLYP5qYo1asZCowuLRlEUAC6o4BOxuxJ9VjATGBH0foE0MZugD1tHnSVwmxnt9b4TNIx-xrRgtWvD5p3QsjTuTgen0J5auzy41bO4bynec6281I5MFSiB9up_Y7-ePKXshzBP7w8ZTN_Ma=w1292-h624-no

Can I just ask where did you get it? I'm planning on heading out for a day on Saturday and I was wondering if you know of any places that would even rent it ? I'm heading to athlone from Dublin..

Can I just ask where did you get it? I'm planning on heading out for a day on Saturday and I was wondering if you know of any places that would even rent it ? I'm heading to athlone from Dublin..

I bought it from an absolute gentleman up in Leitrim.

I don't know of anywhere around athlone that rent canoes you can do over night self guided trip along the Barrow down near Graiguenamanagh through https://gowiththeflow.ie/

Or if you'd rather head further north there's http://www.adventuregentlyireland.com/ and they're spoiled for landscape and flat water which is ideal for a canoe trip. I'd happily recommend these guys very easy going and helpful. :)

Smashing weather we're getting at the moment although water levels are low it's great weather for cruising.

This forum really is tumble weed it's a shame. :(

49964584272_7e9f063518.jpg

• Advertisement

I have seen some kayaks and canoes out lately. You really need the weather for it I guess.
    A beautiful way to spend a day.

The canoe seems to the best option for gentle cruising especially if taking family with you.
    A lot of the canals are being opened up and improved too.

Do you transport it on the car roof?

I have wondered is it better to rent given the cost of buying and the use you would get out of it. Add in storage and transportation too.

I have seen some kayaks and canoes out lately. You really need the weather for it I guess.
    A beautiful way to spend a day.

The canoe seems to the best option for gentle cruising especially if taking family with you.
    A lot of the canals are being opened up and improved too.

Do you transport it on the car roof?

I have wondered is it better to rent given the cost of buying and the use you would get out of it. Add in storage and transportation too.

Yeah I transport it on the roof but I'm lucky in that I live less than 1km from the barrow.

I'd definitely recommend the canoe for canals and for carrying a load be it family of camping gear etc.

They're not cheap and storage I've fitted a rack alongside the house above head height so I hardly notice it when I'm not using it.

The rental canoes are usually pretty crap and it's nice to be able to fit out your own one but there is an arguement for rental alright but it's not really cheap either.

If the climate was better (like the last 3 months) I would be more inclined to buy.
    But you need some decent weather and a lack of midges to really enjoy it.

I would be open to doing fishing off one or perhaps camp overnight but the kids are still too young and time is limited.

Lovely to see your photos though.
    I have kayaked here and abroad a few times and it is a lovely way to put down a day, take a picnic, etc.

If the climate was better (like the last 3 months) I would be more inclined to buy.
    But you need some decent weather and a lack of midges to really enjoy it.

I would be open to doing fishing off one or perhaps camp overnight but the kids are still too young and time is limited.

Lovely to see your photos though.
    I have kayaked here and abroad a few times and it is a lovely way to put down a day, take a picnic, etc.

Ah it is a great escape altogether, I took this at 6am and was home for 09:30 just enough to clear the head and soak up some fresh air.

Midges aren't to bad once you're moving but even think about standing still they descend en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Calculator123

Does anyone have experience of inflatable canoes or kayaks?

I didn't know they existed until this week. And the good weather lately and seeing several people out and about in canoes on the canal has me yearning to get back to recreational water activity. But I haven't got the space or transport for a canadian canoe or multi person kayak. I'd like to take my boys and dog along the canal.

A high quality inflatable seems an option. Pros/Cons?

Something like these...
    https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-inflatable-kayak-reviews/

Thanks.

Does anyone have experience of inflatable canoes or kayaks?

I didn't know they existed until this week. And the good weather lately and seeing several people out and about in canoes on the canal has me yearning to get back to recreational water activity. But I haven't got the space or transport for a canadian canoe or multi person kayak. I'd like to take my boys and dog along the canal.

A high quality inflatable seems an option. Pros/Cons?

Something like these...
    https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-inflatable-kayak-reviews/

Thanks.

Pros - They roll up relatively small

Cons - Pretty much everything :D

I'm guessing this has been sparked by the lidl inflatable canoe sale. I think it has been widely agreed they're no better than a rubber ring and equally dangerous in open water. I would imagine along a canal they would be fine and perhaps even a flat slow river. I wouldn't dream of bringing them anywhere near the sea though and certainly don't let kids away unsupervised as was unfortunately highlighted with last weekends tragedy.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/everyone-is-heartbroken-utterly-devastated-tributes-paid-as-body-of-boy-5-recovered-from-mayo-lake-39253923.html

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c6e12-message-from-irish-coast-guard-and-water-safety-ireland-inflatable-toys-present-a-drowning-risk-do-not-use-in-open-water/

Pros - They roll up relatively small

Cons - Pretty much everything :D

I'm guessing this has been sparked by the lidl inflatable canoe sale. I think it has been widely agreed they're no better than a rubber ring and equally dangerous in open water. I would imagine along a canal they would be fine and perhaps even a flat slow river. I wouldn't dream of bringing them anywhere near the sea though and certainly don't let kids away unsupervised as was unfortunately highlighted with last weekends tragedy.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/everyone-is-heartbroken-utterly-devastated-tributes-paid-as-body-of-boy-5-recovered-from-mayo-lake-39253923.html

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c6e12-message-from-irish-coast-guard-and-water-safety-ireland-inflatable-toys-present-a-drowning-risk-do-not-use-in-open-water/

No, I'd be interested getting a top end model for day trips and camping. Definitively nothing from lidl. I hadn't heard about those. I just noticed inflatables when researching prices for regular canadian canoes.

No, I'd be interested getting a top end model for day trips and camping. Definitively nothing from lidl. I hadn't heard about those. I just noticed inflatables when researching prices for regular canadian canoes.

I don't know much about high end ones I'm sure they exist. Regarding camping though I'd say you will struggle with space and stability in an inflatable. An open canoe is made for those kind of trips as you can carry a decent load in them. It might be easier for you to hire one if it was only going to be random trips on the odd occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

@Calculator123
    I'm paddling over 35 years :eek: I've done whitewater, surf, polo, Canadian, off-shore etc but I've never paddled an inflatable and ordinarily I wouldn't go near them. Not because they are inflatable as such, but because the performance characteristics of an inflatable would be something akin to driving a building site dumper truck, instead of a car on your daily commute. So broadly speaking, I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun) as iwillhtfu.

That said, I was impressed by some of the high end inflatables in Decathlon in France (soon to open here I believe) and was very tempted to buy. The reason being that we have a campervan but with the kids, all our bikes and gear it's just not possible for me to carry my boats. (17.5ft sea kayaks.) Thus, I've often found myself by the waterside, in France, wishing I could get out for a bit of a paddle.

In the end, I didn't buy and niggling doubts about an inflatable were a part of that. However, it was more down to the fact that even though it deflates and can be packed away, the bag was still very big and heavy and I just didn't have room. I'd still love to try one out and I know of other campers (who's only experience of kayaking is an inflatable) who swear by theirs. I however, have had to resign myself to renting when I am away. BTW - When I say I'd like to try one out, I mean a 'high end' inflatable. I wouldn't get into a 'low end' one ever.

For a recreational paddle where no real distance is involved, wind and tide or current are not going to be an issue (like a canal) and a rigid road is not a possibility, then I think a good inflatable has it's place. Obviously, with lifejackets, good swimming capability and good safety procedures etc. If you have no paddling experience then you should get some with somebody who has.

If by camping you mean loading up the inflatable and heading off out to an island on a lake or something like that the I would say absolutely not! Don't even think about it. That is not what they are designed for. But if you mean heading off somewhere say like Lough Key camping in the site and a spot of paddling around the lake shore then sure. So long as you are certain you are not going to get blown into the middle of the lake :eek:

Best of luck with it.

WildWater wrote: »
    @Calculator123
    I'm paddling over 35 years :eek: I've done whitewater, surf, polo, Canadian, off-shore etc but I've never paddled an inflatable and ordinarily I wouldn't go near them. Not because they are inflatable as such, but because the performance characteristics of an inflatable would be something akin to driving a building site dumper truck, instead of a car on your daily commute. So broadly speaking, I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun) as iwillhtfu.

That said, I was impressed by some of the high end inflatables in Decathlon in France (soon to open here I believe) and was very tempted to buy. The reason being that we have a campervan but with the kids, all our bikes and gear it's just not possible for me to carry my boats. (17.5ft sea kayaks.) Thus, I've often found myself by the waterside, in France, wishing I could get out for a bit of a paddle.

In the end, I didn't buy and niggling doubts about an inflatable were a part of that. However, it was more down to the fact that even though it deflates and can be packed away, the bag was still very big and heavy and I just didn't have room. I'd still love to try one out and I know of other campers (who's only experience of kayaking is an inflatable) who swear by theirs. I however, have had to resign myself to renting when I am away. BTW - When I say I'd like to try one out, I mean a 'high end' inflatable. I wouldn't get into a 'low end' one ever.

For a recreational paddle where no real distance is involved, wind and tide or current are not going to be an issue (like a canal) and a rigid road is not a possibility, then I think a good inflatable has it's place. Obviously, with lifejackets, good swimming capability and good safety procedures etc. If you have no paddling experience then you should get some with somebody who has.

If by camping you mean loading up the inflatable and heading off out to an island on a lake or something like that the I would say absolutely not! Don't even think about it. That is not what they are designed for. But if you mean heading off somewhere say like Lough Key camping in the site and a spot of paddling around the lake shore then sure. So long as you are certain you are not going to get blown into the middle of the lake :eek:

Best of luck with it.

Thanks for your insight and thoughts.

Yes, the Decathlon range look very impressive and seem ideal for my needs. I've been reading the reviews and watching YouTube reviews and in the main, are very complimentary. They seem to have taken all the best bits from other brands and combined them in to a decent product that's good value for money. E.g. drop stitch floor for excellent rigidity. No pricing for Ireland yet but I'll try to visit the store after it opens this weekend. UK website has the range between about £300 and £1500 sterling.

I also spoke to a colleague in the UK who loves her inflatable and said they are now extremely popular over there.

I'm thinking of basic pleasure paddles along canals and slow rivers or indeed the likes of Lough Key as you've mentioned. I don't need super performance. Just reliable, portable, safe and steady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone been in to Decathlon yet, thought I heard it opened this week or last. Do they have a big range?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone been in to Decathlon yet, thought I heard it opened this week or last. Do they have a big range?

I haven't been in the one in Dublin but I have been in the one in Belfast plenty of times. They've a lot of boating equipment not so much paddling specific more sups, dinghy, heavy sailing clothing. They have some inflatable canoes there and basic paddles,wet suits.

As a store goes it's like a walmart of sporting and outdoor goods I typically use it for there outdoor deals fleeces etc. It's certainly worth a stroll around and you'll undoubtedly pick up something. :D

Yeah was planning to pop in to see what it is like in the coming weeks. I had a look at their Irish website though and there is not a lot there in terms of kayaks, only inflatables and then one single touring kayak. Hopefully there will be more in store.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah was planning to pop in to see what it is like in the coming weeks. I had a look at their Irish website though and there is not a lot there in terms of kayaks, only inflatables and then one single touring kayak. Hopefully there will be more in store.

That's pretty much all they will have in their kayak range in store. They won't have anything like icanoe for example if that's what you had in mind.

ah right thanks, I thought they might have a bit more than that and was surprised when there was so few kayaks on their website. Guess I'll try iCanoe for something second hand. Had intended to get on the water this summer but with the lockdown I couldnt organise to buy anything so will likely leave it till next spring now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

One of my mates was in the new Decathlon on Wednesday and sent me their kayak prices. See pics.... im still toying with the idea. Not sure how much I would use it tho....

Im not up to date with how good inflatables are but dont think Id ever be comfortable using one. When I do get back on the water it will be largely on my own so Id be just too fearful of it hitting something and its gone down in no time.

Are they supposed to be really rigid or something. What would happen if they hit a sharp rock?

Advertisement