Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Zambia wrote: »
    I would agree, they just get saddled with [name] Jnr.
    But I am sure thats no great hinderance.

I would have considered (happily) naming my boy-to-be Mark after his Daddy... have always really liked the name... Then the mother in law nicknamed my tummy MJ (half affectionately, have to irritate us)... eh hell no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Added Ewan to the list today...

Thankfully Ewan Mcgregor has schooled aussies in how its sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I know its a little differet but what do you all think of Alfie?
    My boy is due in 3 and a half weeks and we are really struggling with a name.
    Others i like are

For a boy:
    Alex
    Jamie
    David
    Johnathan
    Ayden

For a girl:
    Sofia
    Katelyn
    Alice

He also likes Leo but im reallly not sold on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

I'm expecting a girl in July and both my husband and I really like the name Alexis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

qwertytlk wrote: »

Alfie is nice, and very underused, we also have it in our ever growing list :)

It makes me think of Cilla singing the theme tune back in the 60s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Long time Lurker :D

My Favourite Boys names are :

Elliott

Isaac

Matthew

Daniel

Nathan

Rian

Noah

My Favourite Girls names are :

Ava

Sophie

Lilly

Mia

Emily

Olivia

Lucy

Caoimhe

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

qwertytlk wrote: »
    My boy is due in 3 and a half weeks and we are really struggling with a name.

Alfie is very cute name , i also like Jonathan but i am biased as it is my OH name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Added Ewan to the list today...

Love the name Ewan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its all yours the wife Vetoed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Its all yours the wife Vetoed it

Aww thats a pity.

I have no plans for anymore babies at the moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Etain for a girl, what do you think? Husband loves it, I like it but it reminds me a lot of Elaine, which is a name i'm not mad about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fabberella

im due in august i have adam for a boy and amira for a girl (Arabic names) my boyfriend loves amira! :):)
    what do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Cottontail wrote: »
    Etain for a girl, what do you think? Husband loves it, I like it but it reminds me a lot of Elaine, which is a name i'm not mad about...
    I know an Etain, it's lovely as is she. It's a really artistic and mystical name. Eadhaoin (sp?)/Aideen are alternative versions of it if you'd prefer. I think Etain was an ancient Irish princess who was turned into a butterfly by a love rival and reincarnated later after being swallowed by a princess of the fairy folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I love the name Etáin, but again my partner doesn't like it, nor most irish names.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

fabberella wrote: »
    im due in august i have adam for a boy and amira for a girl (Arabic names) my boyfriend loves amira! :):)
    what do you think??

My son is Adam, I love the name, he is starting school and will be the only Adam in his class which I am delighted about. Amira is very pretty! I have no idea what we will call this one if it's a boy. We both like Ariana for a girl, but will probably have gone off it come September! I'd be very surprised if this is a boy, my gut tells me it's a little lady :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Eadhaoin (sp?)/Aideen are alternative versions of it if you'd prefer.

I have a sister called Éadaoin (pronounced same as Aideen.)

No one ever spells it right. Ever! :) I'm guessing that's a problem with most Irish names.

We actually wanted to call her the Irish version of Aveen, but couldn't find the Irish spelling for it. "Aoibheann" seems to be the spelling usually used, but really that should be pronounced more like Even than Aveen, as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I dont plan on having anymore kids...

but if i do.. i want to put these in the pot..

xavier.... jolie ....dominic

I have a sister called Éadaoin (pronounced same as Aideen.)

No one ever spells it right. Ever! :) I'm guessing that's a problem with most Irish names.

We actually wanted to call her the Irish version of Aveen, but couldn't find the Irish spelling for it. "Aoibheann" seems to be the spelling usually used, but really that should be pronounced more like Even than Aveen, as far as I know!

No you're right - the correct pronounciation of Aoibheann / Aoibhinn is Ayveen, even though some people pronounce it E-van sometimes.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I love the name Etáin, but again my partner doesn't like it, nor most irish names.

What is the correct spelling of Etain though? some places I look it up there are no fadas, then some have a fada on the E, and person above has a fada on the A. Which is the correct way? :confused: any

What is the correct spelling of Etain though? some places I look it up there are no fadas, then some have a fada on the E, and person above has a fada on the A. Which is the correct way? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

No you're right - the correct pronounciation of Aoibheann / Aoibhinn is Ayveen, even though some people pronounce it E-van sometimes.
    Yup my daughters name is Aoibheann ane we pronounce it Ayveen . We are thinking about a few names for the new arrival . For a boy we have Daniel (I think we are pretty set on that) . For a girl I like lilly , Molly and Blaithin but I'm really not sure at all .

Cottontail wrote: »
    What is the correct spelling of Etain though? some places I look it up there are no fadas, then some have a fada on the E, and person above has a fada on the A. Which is the correct way? :confused:

I deal with someone in work who spells it as I have. Hadn't really heard of it before hearing her name, so not sure if there more spellings. I've heard a pronunciation Ehtayne before, but this girl pronounces it Eetawn.

I deal with someone in work who spells it as I have. Hadn't really heard of it before hearing her name, so not sure if there more spellings. I've heard a pronunciation Ehtayne before, but this girl pronounces it Eetawn.

Thanks for this. I like the pronounciation Ehtayne myself, I think this is what we will use if we go with the name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I think.....think....we may have a boys name. We appear to have agreed on 'Hugh', but its too early to say whether it's a definite or not because hubby's mind is subject to change like the wind.

If it's a girl, we're in trouble, we've no names whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I love Hugh it's a strong name :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I always found boys names easier! I loved Noah, Max, Josiah and Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

We named our little girl Ava Catherine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ava Catherine; thats a really beautiful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We are 16 weeks in, and we are no nearer finding the name we want!:( Every time one of us find a name we like, either the other one doesn't like it, or we both like it, but after a while we get turned off it.

How long on average did it take you guys to find the perfect name for your baby? Maybe we should leave it until a bit later in the pregnancy before wrecking our heads with names...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

We are 16 weeks in, and we are no nearer finding the name we want!:( Every time one of us find a name we like, either the other one doesn't like it, or we both like it, but after a while we get turned off it.

How long on average did it take you guys to find the perfect name for your baby? Maybe we should leave it until a bit later in the pregnancy before wrecking our heads with names...

Well for me, all the names I like at this stage of my pregnancy were completely scrapped closer to the date! I was convinved I was going ot name my little girl Maya half way through, and then I decided on Isobel closer to the time. I really wouldn't be worrying, your not even half way there yet :)

Advertisement