Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airtightness under carpet - what tape for hardboard

• 25-11-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

I've finally caved, Mrs BoardsMember wants carpet in the front room and she's going to get it - she refuses to go through another cold/draughty winter.

We're laying carpet on draughty floating floorboards, room is 4m x 4m. I plan to put down thin (3mm) hardboard for draughtproof, then good quality underlay for insulation, then thick pile carpet for insulation/warmth.

We plan to do a significant renovation but it is not happening in time, carpet will be re-used after renovation so it is a reasonable compromise before doing a proper insulation job as part of the renovation.

So, the question I have is - what tape should I use to seal joints of the hardboard, and to seal hardboard to the skirts? There are a plethora of products out there, some that seem ridiculously expensive. I'm not looking for passive house outcome, just want to do a reasonable job before I put the underlay and carpet down. Any links or names of products that will get the job done would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,189 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

How long will it be down?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How long will it be down?

2 answers...if we find it cosy with this approach, maybe 10 years+, we could leave it out of the refurb and save money.

If not, we'd do the job proper within 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,189 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would use the correct tape around the edges and maybe something like silage tape for the rest

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I would use the correct tape around the edges and maybe something like silage tape for the rest

Thanks. Can you suggest products or where I go to find what the correct tape is? There are so many products out there and I dont want to buy something not fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Are you lifting the skirting? Will the carpet guys damage a taped perimeter if you don’t ?

Wpuld the 3mm hardboard be worth it or would ply be as handy? If you were buying ply Would you just lift the floor and screw down fresh glued ply?

What if, before you put down the ply, you stuff insulation between the joists and lay an air-tightness membrane over top, then seal that with Contega tape to the perimeter.

Great job, air-tight, insulated floor, and as long as you’ve subfloor vents you have the 10year solution that you looked for.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    Are you lifting the skirting? Will the carpet guys damage a taped perimeter if you don’t ?

Wpuld the 3mm hardboard be worth it or would ply be as handy? If you were buying ply Would you just lift the floor and screw down fresh glued ply?

What if, before you put down the ply, you stuff insulation between the joists and lay an air-tightness membrane over top, then seal that with Contega tape to the perimeter.

Great job, air-tight, insulated floor, and as long as you’ve subfloor vents you have the 10year solution that you looked for.

Thanks for the response.

Not planning on lifting the skirting. Or the current floor. It's a quick, clean interim solution really. I know that carpet layers are likely to pierce the airtightness, but with good quality thick underlay and compared to what we have at the moment, it'll be a really good job.

I could even use some sort of silicone or caulk to seal the perimeter.

Polytene, duct tape, silicone.

Polytene, duct tape, silicone.

Sorry, not sure about the "polytene"?

Sorry, not sure about the "polytene"?

polythene

polythene

Sorry, I'm being thick now, I know, but what am I using the polythene for? I thought the job was 3mm hardboard, tape the joints, seal edges to skirts with silicone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Good quality 'Duct Tape' should do the job, there's 50 metres in a roll and it's 40 to 50mm wide, costs around a fiver a roll.
    Before adding an extra board + underlay + carpet to existing floor ensure that the door will have enough clearance to open ;) If you have a high door saddle it should be OK

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sorry, I'm being thick now, I know, but what am I using the polythene for? I thought the job was 3mm hardboard, tape the joints, seal edges to skirts with silicone.

if you put underlay down and it acts as insulation, you risk condensation forming on the cold side, directly on the hardboard.

3mm MDF will bubble and disintegrate over time.

The polythene will (should!) stop the warm room vapour from reaching the cold mdf and condensing.

Note though that if the condensation point turns out to be on the warm side of the underlay, due to compression etc, then you could actually end up with staining and mould growth on the carpet itself.

the proper job is to lift the floor boards though... anything else is just lipstick on a gorilla.

Advertisement